Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 12:01 PM

786 posts, read 1,592,846 times

Advertisements

I've been surprised reading all the criticism of Scranton. I thought the city was emerging and I think it actually looks like a small Phila. The architecture is beautiful, I thought I understood that there was a train to NYC that takes 1.5 hours, and many commute back and forth to work, and that the center city area was becoming revitalized to the point that we were going to look for some real estate but now I'm really wondering if my impressions are all wrong. I've been visiting Scranton for years and I'm not getting it. Help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 01:00 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,815,234 times
Don't let the doom-and-gloom crowd fool you...Scranton is not a bad place. Sure it has a few sketchy sections to avoid, but overall its one of the more liveable cities of its size. There are people here that will swear that Scranton is a clone of Camden or Newark, and that Crips and Bloods are gangbanging on every other corner, but that is just not true. Is it a mini-Philly or Manhattan? No. And there is no train service despite all the talk about it for the past 20 years. You will still need a car living in Scranton, it is walkable and you will have conveniences within walking distance, but I couldn't see living here without a car...even the bus service is pretty much a 9-5 operation, shuttling grandma to her doctor's appointment or the yahoos to their appointment with the parole officer or to pay their payment at Rent A Center. I haven't set foot on a COLTS bus in decades. Its really closer to a small town than a big city.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:10 PM

48 posts, read 110,361 times
Depending where you live and your lifestyle you can live here without a car. My mom and two of my brothers have never had a car. I've only sporadically owned an automobile. It sucks sometimes without but it's doable. Just saying. Public transportation here needs a lot of work though. They should have never done away with the trolley. Most of the trolley lines were just paved over though. I say we should dig them up and start it up again. My house is on a bus line. The bus goes by twice an hour from 7 AM to 6 or 7 PM. I can probably count the total number of riders on two hands on any given day. Scranton is a nice place though. It does have a lot going for it. Anyone who can't see that doesn't really belong here.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:50 PM

I was told by a real estate agent 3 days ago that there was Amtrak service from Scranton to New York City that was 1.5 hours one way, which made Scranton attractive to NYC commuters. So you're saying that's totally not true, no train to anywhere?

Old 10-13-2011, 03:07 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,094,204 times
Patently false statement. NO train and there will probably not be one for decades.

Even if there was a train it will be at least a 2hr+ ride with stops.

Commuting to NYC is a PAIN IN THE ARSE, you could drive all the way in or to train stops in NJ then you'll have to take the trains into the city that way or at least to a ferry terminal.

Scranton isn't that bad, but unfortunately it is getting worse by the day and the political turmoil is just making it worse.

Over all the city in my opinion sucks, but that is what I see.

There are gangs and they are all over the city, they are here and they shouldn't be discounted.

Crime is on the rise and as the older generations move into care facilities or out of the city they are being replaced by section 8 scum from other states that bring their problems and issues with them..

Downtown is nothing and I mean nothing, but some bars and a few places to eat after dark. It shuts down at 5pm and is a ghost town on the weekends.

During the week its support by the gov't employees from the Federal, State, County and City buildings down there. Everyone ois gone by 5pm daily.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:25 PM

207 posts, read 284,571 times
There are no actual organized gangs in Scranton, Some jackasses in a gang may set up shop from NY or Philly (maybe Hazelton? I don't go there often so I can't say), but there is no gang territory that I am aware of. I wish this would stop being said...

Take it from me. I am in one of the supposedly gang infested neighborhoods. Unless maybe a group of young punks walking around is being counted as a gang, there is certainly no full Blood sets, Latin Kings, Triads, or whatever else.

Old 10-14-2011, 04:23 AM

Well. . . this has been an eye opener. I appreciate all the replies, thanks.

Old 10-14-2011, 05:30 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,946,672 times
Judd, I lived in Scranton from 1968 to 1975. I only moved because hubs (now deceased) insisted he be closer to his job. It was without question one of the happiest times of my life. The downtown was vibrant, boasting two Big City-type department stores, specialty shops, movie theaters, good bus service and well-run government. All of them gone.
The complaints today are mostly based on extremely high taxes and extremely high municipal debt. Government has contributed to the problem and there is rampant cronyism, resulting in well-paying positions for the few while the many are jobless, since the employment picture is bleak. That last is not unique to Scranton, however.
If you're considering the city as your home, please come prepared with a job and a cheerful attitude.
As far as that RE agent who told you there was a train? I would say that this was not a fib. It was an outright lie. And I don't think too many people are commuting to NYC from Scranton on a daily basis. Most of the transplants have settled in the Pocono areas of Monroe and Wayne counties. And the commute from there is certainly not an easy one.
Do your diligence and visit, rent, explore and only then decide if Scranton is for you.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:31 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Not only is there no passenger trains in Scranton, there are none in the Lehigh Valley either, which means that all of the highways that run east and west in Northern PA are quite busy most of the time. In the Lehigh Valley, many commuters take the bus. I would suggest you contact that realtor and ask her for the address of the downtown train station.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:05 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,094,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_by_Cedar View Post
There are no actual organized gangs in Scranton, Some jackasses in a gang may set up shop from NY or Philly (maybe Hazelton? I don't go there often so I can't say), but there is no gang territory that I am aware of. I wish this would stop being said..
Really? Well then I guess that I was misinformed by the police and city officials that I have talked to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania