U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 06:01 PM

28,180 posts, read 22,427,315 times

Advertisements

Our Endorsement for Wilkes-Barre Mayor: Tom Leighton | The Times Leader, Wilkes-Barre, Scranton PA - News (http://www.timesleader.com/news/Our-Endorsement-for-Wilkes-Barre-Mayor-Tom-Leighton.html - broken link)

Quote:
Leighton, 51, touts a “strong record of achievement,” from restoring the city’s all-important credit rating to reviving the center-city business district to spearheading improvements to many rundown properties and playgrounds.

Quote:
Has his tenure been perfect? Far from it. Leighton should measure his administration, not relative to prior city administrations or schlubs in other public offices who have violated the people’s trust, but by the highest ethical yardstick. Set a better example for future administrations, Mr. Mayor.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 08:41 PM

20,875 posts, read 26,323,110 times
What do you think? I am confused.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:44 PM

I think the TL has it right. The other two candidates are very underwhelming. They don't understand the intricacies of running the city. Leighton, for all his faults, has been a positive asset to our city. I will be voting for him.

Old 10-28-2011, 09:55 PM

31,448 posts, read 70,635,396 times
I'm a Leighton fan myself.

Old 10-29-2011, 07:34 AM

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't vote for Leighton no matter what. If there another viable candidate that knew what they were talking about, I'd listen. But Cope and Summers, while well intentioned, don't fit the bill, IMO.

Old 10-29-2011, 06:15 PM

20,875 posts, read 26,323,110 times
I thought that I was a Fan of Leighton, but I was dismayed over that whole summer jobs for neighbors and friends thing. Also, he's a little smug. In addition, he appears to be the landlord of some properties that are less than ideal.

That said, since I first "met" W-B, it has improved rather dramatically.
There really is no one else who I would consider voting for, so by default he gets my vote.

Old 10-29-2011, 06:26 PM

1,908 posts, read 3,451,272 times
I haven't liked some of things that have come out lately either. The nepotism and the firehouse debate court charges were not good for him. I still think though that he has done a great job trying to improve the city and will vote for him again. He better just learn from his mistakes and focus on fixing the city. You listening Mayor?

Old 10-29-2011, 08:54 PM

7,932 posts, read 14,465,600 times
Didn't Leighton also bill the city for a personal security system at his house (as well as another city official)? That theft of public funds should have him indicted, in my opinion. But in this area, people don't bat an eye at political corruption.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:38 AM

1,908 posts, read 3,451,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
Didn't Leighton also bill the city for a personal security system at his house (as well as another city official)? That theft of public funds should have him indicted, in my opinion. But in this area, people don't bat an eye at political corruption.
If that's true than he may lose votes but as I see you are guessing let's keep to known facts. I don't wish to persecute through speculation, I certainly wouldn't want that done to me.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:39 AM

Honestly? I don't care much about the kids getting summer jobs. I know too many parents who get THEIR kids summer jobs at the places where they work. Leighton is smug, but I don't have to be friends with the guy so that doesn't bother me much either. I don't know what properties he actually owns, Sheena.

Leighton didn't bill the city, Torbik Lock & Safe did. Read this article:

Alarm bill received in error, city says | The Times Leader, Wilkes-Barre, Scranton PA - News (http://www.timesleader.com/news/Alarm_bill__received__in_error___city_says_10-28-2011.html?searchterm=leighton+security+system - broken link)

Quote:
“Mayor Thomas M. Leighton and J.J. Murphy have always assumed personal financial responsibility for the monthly costs of the system which Torbik Safe & Lock confirmed two days ago,” a city release stated Thursday. “The city requested Torbik to inspect their own records this morning while the city conducted a thorough internal review of city financial documents which confirmed the $169 discrepancy. The city requested a refund and Torbik readily agreed.”
Quote:
Torbik said that when a job is completed, the company’s system “automatically produces a monitoring fee each month” that is sent to the address provided for the equipment invoice, which was the city. Torbik said that when it was determined the bills for the monitoring service were being sent to the city “incorrectly,” the matter was rectified and the bills were sent to Murphy’s residence.

It does look bad for Leighton and Murphy. Regardless, keeping Leighton as mayor - in light of the two inexperienced candidates - is a bullet Wilkes-Barre needs to bite. Leighton is a good mayor. He may not be a nice guy, but he has helped Wilkes-Barre.

Also, city council members need to do THEIR jobs and work for the neighborhoods they represent. Leighton is the only one who gets blamed for the crime here. Why are none of the council members blamed? Why isn't the head of the police department blamed? We have a ton of cops on the city payroll but very little of them hit the street. It is ridiculous. Not everything is Leighton's fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania