Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2011, 11:37 AM

73 posts, read 205,792 times

Advertisements

Just moved to Northeastern Penna. in Susquehanna Co., I'm looking for local bars that have live rock bands (60's-80's) on the weekends in the Scranton-WB area. It be a little bit of a drive from New Milford but just wondering if anyone in the area may suggest any bars that offer this type of entertainment.

Thank you.

Tony D.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 08:51 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,623,981 times
If you have either the Weekender or The Electric City papers available where you live they list the clubs, times and locations.. both are free and found at Convenient Marts etc.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:32 AM

73 posts, read 205,792 times
Thank you! There has to be some live rock entertainment in the area.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:17 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,139,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyd1979 View Post
Thank you! There has to be some live rock entertainment in the area.

There are a slew of Bands around they play all the Bigger bars .... I used to play in a few bands . I gave it up to be a father .. Cant have 3 kids at home and be out on the road .. It aint fair to them or the wife ...

The second poster is correct , Get the free papers and look ..I think you can even find them online too

Old 11-09-2011, 11:55 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Used to be a pretty good scene in the Valley but not anymore. The Staircase, Jitterbugs, The Station. All larger venues that are no more.

Not sure if you're familiar with 40lb Head but the same 4 guys have been playing for about 15 years locally. They put on a good show unless they drink too much.

Little bit of trivia for you NEPAer's on how the name came about. The three Egenski brothers had lab in Plymouth for air and water testing, as they were tossing around some names they started weighing their heads on a scale.... LOL Don't ask and I'm sure it wasn't scientific approach..... Average weight was 10 pounds, 4 heads equals 40 lbs. That's the origin of the name.

Website is here, schedule at the top: 40 Lb. Head :: Rockin' NEPA and the East Coast

Here's some video I shot a few years ago at Rockfest in Newtown, they are performing two original songs. The first one titled "Empire" still gets some play on 102.3 The Mountain and the second one "The Worm and the Toad" is from their first album, think it was 1998 it was #50 on MP3.com under the alternative category. That was back when MP3.com first came out and hosted a lot original content.

http://www.40lbhead.com/headfiles/al...pire_wandt.wmv

Jay jamming on the harmonica down the shore at some bar: http://www.40lbhead.com/headfiles/al..._harmonica.wmv

You can download their entire CD's or individual songs from the folders here, these are all high quality 320kbps MP3's:
Index of /misc/audio

One of my favorites is "Shoulders of Fate" on Third Shift:
http://www.40lbhead.com/misc/audio/t...rs_of_fate.mp3

Some more trivia? Back in the late 90's an early part of the new millennium they were a really hot band. There was show which I have video of at Newtown which was by far their largest venue each year. Estimated crowd through the night was 10K, I have video with at least 4 or 5K watching the show, that's a huge crowd for this area and truthfully I don't think there is any band from this area other than those that went onto national acts that could claim that. They played all up and down the east coast at this time getting as far south as the Keys in Florida. They were offered a contract at one point in time and declined for many reasons. The two biggest ones were it was sign you life away deal and second being they were having too much damn fun doing what they were doing.

Last edited by thecoalman; 11-09-2011 at 12:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania