U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 07:40 AM

28,206 posts, read 20,738,397 times

Advertisements

Shocker: Salavantis defeats Musto Carroll in DA race - News - Citizens Voice

Quote:
She shouldn't have had a chance: Stefanie Salavantis, an upstart 29-year-old with no prosecutorial experience, challenging the incumbent District Attorney Jackie Musto Carroll.

But, in the wake of a kids-for-cash corruption scandal in the Luzerne County juvenile courts, where prosecutors stood idly by as a judge routinely violated youths' rights, she did. And, Tuesday night in an extraordinary upset, she won.

BRAND NEW D.A. | The Times Leader, Wilkes-Barre, Scranton PA - News

Quote:
Musto Carroll said she felt voters would see that she was more qualified than Salavantis, who has been an attorney for just two years and has never prosecuted a criminal case. In the end, the juvenile justice scandal was too much to overcome.

I think Salavantis is an extremely inexperienced attorney for this job. I hope I am proven wrong, but wow. Two years out of law school, no experience prosecuting criminal cases and she is elected DA for the county? I understand the desire for fresh blood in the county, however I can't help but feel Luzerne County voters cut their noses off to spite their faces.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 08:00 AM

2,740 posts, read 2,995,053 times
Just more hope and change?

Old 11-09-2011, 08:06 AM

7,936 posts, read 13,861,697 times
I'm proud of Luzerne county voters...seems they woke up and are voting out the old corrupt good ol boys club. Can't say the same for Lackawanna County....they elected O'Brien and Wansacz. O'Brien is arrogant, had driven the county into a financial hole, and so obviously withheld the county budget so a tax increase would not be announced before election day. And Wansacz, he of the midnight pay raise and using per diems to buy himself a house in Harrisburg. I wonder if when he sold the house in Harrisburg he returned the profit he made to the taxpayers of PA? Same ol same ol in Lackaknowledge County....the hayna-er-no sheeple voting straight-democrat.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:08 AM

7,936 posts, read 13,861,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post

I think Salavantis is an extremely inexperienced attorney for this job. I hope I am proven wrong, but wow. Two years out of law school, no experience prosecuting criminal cases and she is elected DA for the county? I understand the desire for fresh blood in the county, however I can't help but feel Luzerne County voters cut their noses off to spite their faces.
So if she proves she's not cut out for the job, she can be voted out at the end of her term. Better to vote for an unproven commodity than to elect someone you know is corrupt just because they're a "known name."

My motto when voting is "when in doubt, vote 'em out."

Old 11-09-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
So if she proves she's not cut out for the job, she can be voted out at the end of her term. Better to vote for an unproven commodity than to elect someone you know is corrupt just because they're a "known name."

My motto when voting is "when in doubt, vote 'em out."
Not only is she unproven, she is completely unqualified! This is a very important job in the criminal justice system and Luz Cty voters really fouled it up, IMO.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:49 AM

4,532 posts, read 5,108,388 times
Quote:
Not only is she unproven, she is completely unqualified! This is a very important job in the criminal justice system and Luz Cty voters really fouled it up, IMO.

hi m----knew we could agree on some things

Old 11-09-2011, 11:26 AM

39,458 posts, read 40,770,461 times
I wouldn't call it a shocker, that's too strong a language.

As far as Musto Carroll getting tossed to the curb it's where she belongs and that's the bottom line. I don't care what her qualifications are compared to the other candidate, she doesn't belong in that office, period. If we have to "break some eggs to make an omelette " so be it.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I wouldn't call it a shocker, that's too strong a language.

As far as Musto Carroll getting tossed to the curb it's where she belongs and that's the bottom line. I don't care what her qualifications are compared to the other candidate, she doesn't belong in that office, period. If we have to "break some eggs to make an omelette " so be it.
I wonder if you will feel the same way if Salavantis totally screws the pooch and crime worsens in the county.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:23 PM

39,458 posts, read 40,770,461 times
Quote:
I wonder if you will feel the same way if Salavantis totally screws the pooch and crime worsens in the county.

That would be unfortunate but I won't feel differently.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
That would be unfortunate but I won't feel differently.
That is, indeed, unfortunate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania