Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 01:46 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,656,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
The worst part is that the county says the tax increase will raise $19 million, yet they plan on giving $20 million to the YANKEES. How about telling the multi-billionaire Yankees to build their own damn stadium and let me keep my money so I can buy my kids Christmas presents.
That is sad, it really is. Giving money to a baseball team that has loads of it. Didn't the county also give money to Paul Sorvino to make a movie that never came out? They love to spend our money our wasteful things, wonderful isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 03:03 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,176,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
How will the large increase in taxes affect the financial equation on rental properties, both now owned/rented and those that are candidates for rental? It seems that rents must go up to keep the margins. How much will this make the neighborhoods less attractive as investments and or places to rent?
Rents will go up and people that can't afford the higher rent will be pushed out. HUD will raise the so called fair market rental value, so Section 8 will pay more, encouraging landlords to rent to Section 8 tenants who will contribute $0 in wage taxes to the city, but require more city services. Then the city will claim that the decreased revenue and increased spending justifies another tax increase. And so it goes on and on and on.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:07 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,176,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
That is sad, it really is. Giving money to a baseball team that has loads of it. Didn't the county also give money to Paul Sorvino to make a movie that never came out? They love to spend our money our wasteful things, wonderful isn't it?
And a team that is not even from Pennsylvania.

I think I saw a movie about Scranton a while ago. Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio were the protagonists.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:11 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,656,963 times
This is from Wikipedia, but was posted from an article I read years ago....In 2005, Sorvino partnered with Lackawanna County to film The Trouble with Cali in Scranton, Pennsylvania. An initial investment by the county of $250,000 was followed by a second $250,000 in 2006. The project has drawn criticism and media attention over the long production time and apparent lack of progress, and the fact that the county did not protect its investment with a completion bond. Sorvino has stated that the film is in post-production.

This is the longest time a film has ever been in post-production. Maybe this is one of the reasons the county is in the hole, giving film-makers money for movies that never come out.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:25 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,849,160 times
Quote:
How will the large increase in taxes affect the financial equation on rental properties, both now owned/rented and those that are candidates for rental? It seems that rents must go up to keep the margins. How much will this make the neighborhoods less attractive as investments and or places to rent?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
Rents will go up and people that can't afford the higher rent will be pushed out. HUD will raise the so called fair market rental value, so Section 8 will pay more, encouraging landlords to rent to Section 8 tenants who will contribute $0 in wage taxes to the city, but require more city services. Then the city will claim that the decreased revenue and increased spending justifies another tax increase. And so it goes on and on and on.
This answer was more like what I was interested in considering. So besides the higher property owner's taxes, other taxpayer's taxes (federal?) will increase to cover the section 8 rental increases (someone has to pay the higher rents....).

Real estate 'investors' will still buy/fix/rent since the section 8 income will be higher to cover the tax increases....more section 8 rentals will result in reduced city taxes...more working folks and elderly long time residents will leave the city....city (county?) taxes will increase to cover the falling income taxes....and the beat continues.

NOT a pretty thought.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:13 PM

130 posts, read 317,260 times
It's really sad to hear about this and I can provide no comfort but I am so sorry this is happening to those of you who live in Scranton. I hope you are all able to handle this burden and wish you the best in your future. Times are hard enough right now never mind having to pay more money from the precious little we have.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:59 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,095,115 times
Quote:
more section 8 rentals will result in reduced city taxes...
Highly unlikely since the mayor has sidelined the Rental Registration Program from day one because most of the slumlords are his pals and contributors. They use the city's vacant and condemned property list like a MLS listing for cheap slum properties to buy, fix and rent to scumbags for the Section 8 money. Its a nice racket if your connected and can get in on the lists and be protected from inspectors and HUD for that matter. Having a crony running the OCED office helps alot with HUD.

Nobody know aht these guys make because nobody knows what properties they own and rent out....

Old 11-17-2011, 04:40 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,849,160 times
Quote:
....more section 8 rentals will result in reduced city taxes...
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Highly unlikely.....
This point was about reduced city (revenue from) wage taxes. Is this unlikely?

Old 11-17-2011, 04:42 PM

48 posts, read 110,368 times
Wow you people should write postapocalyptic fiction.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:20 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,095,115 times
Sure, just sit back and watch what happens to the city given the current situation and complete and total lack of any reasonable solutions....

I'm amazed that there are still people that don't see what is going on, christ at this point even the Times knows it can no longer cover up the stench that is the pile of ***** that is known as Scranton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania