U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2011, 06:28 PM

529 posts, read 956,694 times

Advertisements

Just a few observations from yesterday. I didn't see any recent Pittston-specific thread. I live in Wilkes-Barre, but came up to join in the "bridge occupation" at the Water Street bridge. This was basically a "where are the jobs, Barletta" and "fix our infrastructure" event. It happened just before dark on Thursday (11/17/11). There were about 6 speakers there, and about 50 protesters. Apparently the bridge was built in 1914 and not in great shape. The 8th street bridge a few miles south was replaced earlier in the year, and part of the partially demolished portion fell in the river last month. Not much in the budget to fix anything though. About a week ago I drove across the Water St bridge, and on the West Pittston side, still a lot of rubbish/construction materials removed from basements after the flood was still out on the sidewalks. On Main Street in Pittston, though, seems like they are doing a bit of a curbside renewal. A lot of new ornamental black streetlamps, and many of the old green trolley poles have been removed now. So, just posting a few observations here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 07:00 PM

6,701 posts, read 8,571,878 times
The new 8th. Street Bridge is the forerunner of the new intersection-to-be at 8th st and Wyoming Ave to accommodate the expected traffic headed for the new WalMart projected for construction on the site of the former trailer park in Exeter. On the Jenkins side of the bridge, River Road is being widened to feed onto the bridge.

What is sad is to pass the Milazzo Industries that was flooded in September, and seeing all the debris piled on the property. And the River Street Ale House remains closed after the flood.

The curbside renovations have been going on in Pittston for over a year - new sidewalks, some road widening, lighting etc. Nice improvements.

Today was the first time I crossed the bridge since the last section of the old one came down last week. It's going to take some getting used to, not seeing the old green structure.

Old 11-19-2011, 04:40 AM

4,527 posts, read 5,431,803 times
pittston received a grant this year for that improvement project----am wondering why little money was given to fixing roads,bridges,clean up or local police force(it needs a drug task force)

Old 11-19-2011, 07:16 AM

41,823 posts, read 44,722,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank754 View Post
and on the West Pittston side, still a lot of rubbish/construction materials removed from basements after the flood was still out on the sidewalks.
You realize it was a lot more than than basements? Entire first floors for most of those houses, there was 18 that got it second floor if I remember correctly. If you were up by the bank on the corner you're standing in at least 6 feet of water to give you an idea. FEMA started picking it up about 2 or 3 days in, they were at it for weeks. I had a house on Linden St, fortunately small and unoccupied so cleanup was easy. There was a crew working there with 3 small dump trucks and a small excavator, as fast as they were going up and down the block it was getting piled up. I believe there is going to be one last removal at some point. Most of these people are still not in their homes.

You know where Agolino's is at? This house is down the road across the street about the same level. Look over on the right corner of the house, you can see the mud line about 3 feet up the siding on the first floor. The reason there is no debris out front is because it was taken early morning the first day you could back into West Pittston:

Last edited by thecoalman; 11-19-2011 at 07:30 AM..

Old 11-19-2011, 02:59 PM

124 posts, read 173,899 times
Quote:
Just a few observations from yesterday. I didn't see any recent Pittston-specific thread. I live in Wilkes-Barre, but came up to join in the "bridge occupation" at the Water Street bridge. This was basically a "where are the jobs, Barletta" and "fix our infrastructure" event. It happened just before dark on Thursday (11/17/11). There were about 6 speakers there, and about 50 protesters. Apparently the bridge was built in 1914 and not in great shape. The 8th street bridge a few miles south was replaced earlier in the year, and part of the partially demolished portion fell in the river last month. Not much in the budget to fix anything though. About a week ago I drove across the Water St bridge, and on the West Pittston side, still a lot of rubbish/construction materials removed from basements after the flood was still out on the sidewalks. On Main Street in Pittston, though, seems like they are doing a bit of a curbside renewal. A lot of new ornamental black streetlamps, and many of the old green trolley poles have been removed now. So, just posting a few observations here.
does Barletta have anything to do with that bridge? i thought the only reason it still exists is because its owned by the city. so any money penndot gets from the feds does not matter. or am i wrong here? i have not researched how that would work.

Old 11-19-2011, 05:31 PM

529 posts, read 956,694 times
Thanks for the replies, at least it's good to see some improvements and hopefully more recovery from the flood. As for the Barletta connection, it's not directly related to the bridge, it's just that he's cited as not doing good for the people by voting against Obama's jobs plan, especially the infrastructure part. Among the the speakers we had one steelworker and also a well-versed gentleman from the state educational association. Gov Corbett is to blame too, for the cuts affecting public employees, and the failure to tax frackers at the expense of our educational system. I don't want to make this a political thread, just answering your question. At least a lot of people that drove by tooted with a thumbs up. PA has the highest percentage of deficient bridges in the US, I believe. The Water St bridge is 97 years old and carries about 8500 vehicles a day. Interstate 81 was mentioned as well, as we know it's not wide enough to handle all the valley traffic at certain times, and it's only going to get worse. Anyway, enough said

Old 11-19-2011, 06:34 PM

41,823 posts, read 44,722,710 times
Quote:
Among the the speakers we had one steelworker and also a well-versed gentleman from the state educational association. Gov Corbett is to blame too, for the cuts affecting public employees, and the failure to tax frackers at the expense of our educational system.
Corbett came into office with an estimated 4 billion deficit, why? Because of Spendell for many reasons including increasing the PA budget by nearly 50% while in office, never fully funding the pension obligations, raided the turnpike for billions... even had a billions in stimulus money to pad his spending. You can go on and on. Don't blame Corbett for the current mess, blame the previous administration.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:00 AM

2,095 posts, read 2,764,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
pittston received a grant this year for that improvement project----am wondering why little money was given to fixing roads,bridges,clean up or local police force(it needs a drug task force)
What you are describing is likely a Streetscape project. Grant money is allocated for specific uses and can't be used for other things.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:11 AM

6,701 posts, read 8,571,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
Probably because there is little money. Tax increases are the only way that projects can be undertaken and even then, the money that is collected through an increase is going to be used to pay down prior debt so there still won't be any money for continued improvements.

I must say that the new sidewalks and street improvements do spiff up the general appearance of the downtown.

Old 11-20-2011, 01:08 PM

124 posts, read 173,899 times
Something tells me Obamas "Jobs Plan" will be like the first "shovel ready" one and funnel a ton of money to his friends again. no thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania