Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 12:47 PM

49 posts, read 179,341 times

Advertisements

I did some research and found that Stroudsburg would have everything we needed for doctors and then some, plus we could go into the city if needed. Believe me, I woke up with this neuro condition one day and I know health can change on a dime and I'd rather be where there are more GHI providers. We are getting stuck with out of pocket down here and I dread if something serious came up. We'd probably be better off flying up to NY, not that I would want to do that.

But with that years long wait list for services for my son, we just can't do that. I did not realize PA was that bad. Very tough call. Being disabled myself now, I really need the respite for him and at least we get that here. There are some GHI, in New Port Richey, 30 miles from us *groan* Not too impressed with any of them.

We should have done better due diligence in 1994 and never moved down here in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 01:42 PM

2,362 posts, read 5,118,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzpooch View Post
I did some research and found that Stroudsburg would have everything we needed for doctors and then some, plus we could go into the city if needed. Believe me, I woke up with this neuro condition one day and I know health can change on a dime and I'd rather be where there are more GHI providers. We are getting stuck with out of pocket down here and I dread if something serious came up. We'd probably be better off flying up to NY, not that I would want to do that.

But with that years long wait list for services for my son, we just can't do that. I did not realize PA was that bad. Very tough call. Being disabled myself now, I really need the respite for him and at least we get that here. There are some GHI, in New Port Richey, 30 miles from us *groan* Not too impressed with any of them.

We should have done better due diligence in 1994 and never moved down here in the first place.
Stroudsburg has its good and bad about it ,,, Its way to populated for my taste .. But there are nice places on the outskirts of town that are out of the way and seem nice and quiet . ( between Stroudsburg and Snydersville) Im sure you'll pay PRIME rents in Monroe county due to easy access to the highway system.. And LOADS OF BIG BOX stores to go shopping .. Good luck..

Old 12-26-2011, 02:08 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,899,958 times
blitz, you'll have to excuse my ignorance of your situation. What is medwaiver and why do you have to be on a waiting list to get whatever it is?

As pbakegler indicated, there are GHI providers in the area of Milford, so that should be helpful. River has indicated that rents in the 'burg are pretty high because of the easy on/easy off access to major highways. That should only rule out the immediate Stroudsburg area, but there are many more places to consider.
So what is this "medwaiver" of which you speak? Since it seems to be one hurdle you can't clear, is there an alternate?

Old 12-26-2011, 02:52 PM

"The Medicaid waiver programs began shortly thereafter in 1982 when President Reagan signed the Katie Beckett waiver into effect. This made Medicaid funds available to similar families with special needs children who otherwise did not qualify for assistance and care in the home. Since then, states have developed a variety of Medicaid waivers which have allowed people to receive needed services in their homes and communities rather than in an institutional setting. Each state has different waiver programs with different eligibility requirements and services."

more info here. (http://www.andrewscenter.com/ddwaiver.htm - broken link)

This is a link (http://www.pawaitinglistcampaign.org/WL_Families.html - broken link) about the situation in Pennsylvania.

My son was born with a heart defect that needed repair in 2001. Luckily, we had other insurance at the time that took care of it. Early last year, he started having seizures. We drove 100 miles to Orlando to the only GHI pediatric cardio where we found his heart rate was 25 beats per minute. We were sent back to St. Pete through ER for a pacemaker. Hospital is now saying we owe something like $4,000 for what GHI/Empire did not cover.

We did get FL Medwaiver bc of my condition and a state representative that advocated for us. This gets my son medical, dental, behavioral services and respite. If we went back up there, we could probably get his medical and dental via GHI, but no respite and probably not behavior services, didn't check that. The waiver gets other supports for adult children w/dev disabilities.

So that's the deal. We waited six years to get him on it here and the services are getting cut left and right. Now I have a neurological condition and HAVE to have the supports, can't always have a family member around. I can't go anywhere alone with him. I am just frustrated with the neuro providers here and know I could probably get better care and hence probably make better progress up there.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:11 PM

755 posts, read 2,326,022 times
I know someone mentioned GHI in the Milford area. We also have CDD (Centers for Developmental Disabilities) - Center for Developmental Disabilities | Pike County, Pennsylvania which is an awesome organization. My son had speech therapy there and they were phenomenal with him. There is also something called MHMR? for kids with developmental issues I believe. I've never had to use them but heard they are really good too. I can get more information on that if you need it.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:08 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,933,093 times
I wish you the best of luck in your situation.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:56 PM

Thanks FF, I checked that site and my son is too old. That video about the wait list clinched it, I did not see that before I posted. Things can always change and I will keep track of it. To give you perspective, my son went on the list here in 2005 at around 14,000. Six years later we were still waiting! My diagnosis got us services bc it is a dangerous situation. If I leave fL it would have to be a place where he could get it asap.

Old 12-28-2011, 06:33 PM

513 posts, read 1,075,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside4ever View Post

I would say look near a hospital or care center that covers your insurance and look in that area ,,As for your Dogs ,,, Big dogs too ... Thats a rough one
Good thing you were here to drop those pearls of wisdom. I'm surprised that you didn't warn them of gang activity in all the communities.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:40 AM

937 posts, read 2,879,970 times
We are originally from NY and also lived in Florida. We love it in Tunkhannock. It is about 2 1/2 hours to the city. The town is great, people so nice and there are nice homes/rentals available too!
You get use to the curvy roads. They are not bad at all. When it snows, they plow pretty quickly also.
Good luck in your move!

Old 12-30-2011, 11:53 PM

268 posts, read 372,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memoriesbre View Post
We are originally from NY and also lived in Florida. We love it in Tunkhannock. It is about 2 1/2 hours to the city. The town is great, people so nice and there are nice homes/rentals available too!
You get use to the curvy roads. They are not bad at all. When it snows, they plow pretty quickly also.
Good luck in your move!
The OP will also have to keep in mind the minimal sunlight and grey days throughout the winter compared to sunshine soaked Florida
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania