U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 08:44 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,261,099 times

Advertisements

No matter what color you choose to paint the picture, Sarge, the color is still the same...do yourself and your family a very good favor...take our advice and don't waste your money there...it may look good now and when you've been there but it's obviously not...one day you'll try to sell it and you'll never recoup what you've invested in it...there are so many other BETTER options out there if you look a little more...you could give me the house for free and I still wouldn't move there...check my name for previous posts of mine concerning APCP...I haven't lived there but a friend did when she got married and had to sell at "break even" in order to get out...you and your family deserve better considering you're in law enforcement and not have to put up with what you see probably in your time on the job...too much garbage from NY, NJ, and other close by cities have moved there and made the place a true dump...the only good thing that could possibly happen to APCP is that it were condemned, blown-up, cleared of the rubble, and the land given back to the wildlife to live in like they were before that place was created...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 08:55 AM

2 posts, read 4,162 times
Sarge,
I am a current resident of the community. I enjoy it. I have nearby family that live in Stillwater, & Emeral Lakes. So before I purchased here, I was already aware of my options. However, have you visited their recreation areas? Have you seen the percentage of people not paying dues in those communites? Emarld Lakes, is nice but their roads are just terrible! I haven't been here for 10 or 20 years like some people here, so I may have missed out on the problems. However, my family enjoys the Field Day event in the summer, we enjoy the pools, and the community also offers free internet for teens. As a family person, this is great community because there is a lot of activites to keep the children busy. The only complaint that I have encountered was the guest having to get a paper pass to enter the community. I personally like that though (no surprise visits for me!). If I didn't like the place or had concern for my kids, I would move, regardless if I break even or owe. I don't understand why some people who complain still stay here? They are just hurting themselves metally and emtionally.

Just remember, because I was once in your same shoes. Out of all the people (9K+) that live in the community, only 1-2% are here giving their opinion, and out of that few, even fewer actually live here currently. You're in law enforcement so you know, when large groups of people are unhappy they show up in pacs, tons of letters, huge turnout at meetings..etc From what I gather here, it's just a handful of the same people, complaining (although some are just giving their honest opinion). I would be alarmed if 30%+ of a community complained, that's a red flag. However this is not the case here.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:38 AM

212 posts, read 246,911 times
I respectfully disagree...

There are nicer area to put your family in. Let's say APCP is "not as bad as it was described in the forums" --- BUT Why put them near DANGER when there is a possibility that it is more dangerous than other areas in the Pocono?

You were an officer/veteran, I respect you for that... but your wife and kids were not officers and why would you even consider a place that may endanger them.

It is not about color or anything, but using NYC as an example... would you buy in a "nice" area in EAST New York?

Just food for thought.

Pocono Girl

Old 02-13-2012, 07:57 AM

212 posts, read 246,911 times
So sad...

Old 02-13-2012, 08:08 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,261,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poconogirl View Post
why would you even consider a place that may endanger them. It is not about color or anything, but using NYC as an example... would you buy in a "nice" area in EAST New York?
Exactly my point as well...East New York, Brownsville, Bushwick, Flatbush, and those surrounding areas are also examples of areas that need to be bulldozed and re-done...but that's for the New York forum to deal with...if you can avoid it why spend money where your not going to recoup your investment...many who post here on the forum (me included) may not live in the same development but most of us have been coming out here for a long time and have the knowledge to know how this place was before the influx of NYC, NJ, CT, and other transplants to give a pretty accurate recommendation of the area than those who've only been out here a couple of years or so...

Old 02-17-2012, 07:47 AM

263 posts, read 212,485 times
Hi all it's been awhile I just read all the new posts and I am going to look around at some other options but still not totally rule out PCP. So much has happened the past month I haven't been up to Pa or PCP since mid December. My best friend in the PCP moved back to Queens 2 weeks ago because he had transportation problems and felt being up in PCP or even NEP became his prison. He did ask me to mention on the board that Ron owner of Leggs Towing in Gouldsboro was very generous and released his truck to him and even towed it back to him in PCP for free. Ron had his truck since Oct. 15th 2011 when he towed my friend from route 96 by PCP because the transmission went on his 2004 Trail Blazer. Due to the fact my friend was a disabled NYC retired Police Officer Ron waived the $20 a day storage fee since Oct and didn't charge him for the tow to his office and later back to PCP. My friend thanks you Ron and I applaude you for doing something extra ordinary for someone you do not even know in an economy where everyone is struggling to make every dime they can. I would hope that the great people of NEP, when in need of towing services will remember this post and give you their business. God Bless all at Leggs Towing 570-842-9782. Secondly I am in a custody battle for my 7 year old daughter. Been to court once and go back in mid March. So far its looking good but I know I have a long road ahead of me. The lawyer has cost me plenty so far but I have to do what I have to do to get my little girl. This has taken away from some money I had saved to buy the house. I just pray I can get my daughter and put her in a better place for now. Her mom is right now homeless and living with a relative in a 2 bedroom with 10 people living there. I am not here to bash her mom she is actually a good mother falling on bad times and no matter how hard I seem to try and help financially she remains in the same bad situation. If I knew I couldn't do better for my daughter I wouldn't try and fight her for custody. I even told her to give me my daughter and I will continue my child support payments to her while I keep my daughter with me until she gets on her feet and gets her own place and she still denied me my daughter. I have exhausted all avenues except the courts but made the decision I need to rescue my daughter from these conditions. Please wish me luck. I have her for the long weekend we are heading to PCP now to just relax and spend a quiet weekend hopefully up in the snow lol. Hope all of you are doing well and God Bless...

Old 05-26-2012, 10:06 PM

2 posts, read 3,612 times
Angry Living in a Pocono Country Place

I have been living here in a Pocono country place for almost 10 years. I own my own home. My problem is not with my neighbors, who seem by and large to be good people. My problem is with the "rulers" of this place. Many of the rules are draconian, and some of them (i.e. prohibition of signs on your own property, even small political ones guaranteed by the Constitution) are downright illegal. To enforce these rules they take your dues (some of the most expensive in the area), and use them to fund their own private police force which answers to… The Board! These people identify themselves as police officers. Unfortunately, they are peace officers, not police officers.

They tell you you can't have your own pool. What they don't tell you that you are entitled to one if you have certain common medical conditions. I know, because my neighbor has a beautiful pool. The board demands that you report to them every vehicle that you own including the plate number. As if that's any of their business. If you have company, they have to be called in by name in advance.

God help you if you have come a long way to visit and forgotten your license, or registration, or insurance card. They will not let your guest in for love of money. but if you should let your guest in, they want to fine you five hundred dollars. They wanted to fine me for letting my son in. My SON! and he lived here at the time. He just forgot his gate card. And that is another thing. It's bad enough that every guest to my house needs to be scrutinized by an armed guard. Why the hell should I have to report to anybody who lives with me? This is my house! As long as I am within the law, it shouldn't be anybody else's damn business who I let live in my house with me.

Meanwhile, the place is so insecure that anybody can walk in from the road. and that's just the tip of the iceberg. There are so many things wrong with this place that it's a joke! the place next door to me has been abandoned for years. The property values suck! If you want to move or invest here, do yourself a favor… DON'T! Or better yet, definitely invest here! Buy MY House! That way I can get the hell out here!

Old 05-31-2012, 07:13 PM

3 posts, read 4,333 times
Sarge, you know my opinion of APCP, Like Casey I find some of the rules to be ridiculous, but most of them make sense to me. Actually the part about the pool was in the rule book I recieived when we purchased this house. Yes there are issues but ask these people who drive past and form opinions where they live and then check things like the meagans law website... see how many are behind our gates compared to any where else.
My neighbors are wonderful people, we watch out for each other, and respect each other.... I know there are differences in each section but I truly love my home.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:13 PM

7,939 posts, read 9,691,469 times
That is why I would never live in a gated community...homeowners associations and dues. Why should someone pay dues on property that they own?? People already pay taxes. No homeowners association should have the power to tell me I cannot put a swimming pool or a political sign on my own property.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:34 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,704,532 times
The rules and laws and Dues can change on a whim in a community ... You cant control that ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania