U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-09-2012, 03:32 PM

231 posts, read 154,135 times
Default Owners Who live in A POCONO COUNTRY PLACE

Hi, Looking to speak with current owners in A Pocono Country Place. I have been visiting the development for over 7 months now and so far it has been a great experience. I hear all the ugily things I have spoken mostly to past owners in the community but now I really wish to get a fresh feel from the owners, People working and paying the bills in the community. Please renters welcome also. Most people whom I talked to while visiting had more complaints with the Community Board and the rules more then anything but not one said that they attented any meetings nor did they take steps to bring the issues they have to the boards attention.

I have written the Board as a person who is one interested in possibly buying a property in APCP and a Concerned citizen. The amount of forclosures in APCP and empty homes doesn't concern me as much as the empty homes with open windows and doors and the lack of community concern by both law enforcement, Banks, neighbors and community board members. Here is the letter.

Greetings,
I am sending this email to all the email addresses I could find on your site. I would first start off saying I am a law enforcement officer of NJ very interested in your community. I go to my cousin's place all the time located in the K section on Sunnyside Drive. He really doesn't get to the house often and I have been going up frequently since June 2011. I absolutely love the people and the community. I am seriously considering buying a house in APCP in the next year or so. I have been to many communities in Pa and to be honest out of all of the ones I have been to There are two that stand out to me for very different reasons. One is Saw Creek Estates for the amenities. Hands down there is no better that I know of as far as amenities go. APCP for one reason, I really love everyone I have interacted with in the community. I don't care what I read in the paper or online and even in NJ people have heard of the bad reputation of your community. I hate the fact that people judge what they know nothing about. Times are tough everywhere. But because times are tough doesn't mean that you stop worrying about your neighbor or your neighborhood. Being in law enforcement for so long I have learned a few things along the way. One great concern I have with your community during these hard times is not the abundanced of empty homes, but the abundance of empty homes that are becoming uninhabitable. I do go on websites and I do visit homes that are on the market for sale and I have found an alarming amount of homes with windows, doors and outside cellar doors wide open. Some houses have had their windows wide open since June and for possibly months or years before that. Most of these homes will become unrepairable if they are not so already and it seems like no one cares. I care... It baffles my mind how the community residents, local and community law enforcement, and the enforcement division for the various codes residents get fined for do not step up and at least make the effort to close these windows and doors for the good of the community. Wrong or not I have closed several windows and doors of houses that I have seen there if for only one reason, its the right thing to do. I have called several realtors to complain that these homes are being left for dead, windows and doors ajar and not one has done what is simply the right thing to do CARE. I care and hope that someone on the board, someone in the community steps up and does something to help the integrity of the community. Eventually when these homes start to fall apart the residents that are there will fall in even more dispair. Would you want to pay community dues when the homes around you are falling apart or becoming unrepairable? The community is still beautiful, this problem is not yet beyond repair but if no one starts to try and fix some of these problems where does the future lead? Can maybe in your bulletin can you mention for others to care and report any empty home that has open or broken windows and doors so that someone in the community can come and try and save some of these homes? Eventually you do want these homes sold and lived in. I hope my thoughts do not fall on deaf ears and something gets done about it. It breaks my heart to see such a beautiful place slowly deteriorate in front of my very eyes. If you need my help I would be willing to drive there on my days off and help. It is possible people of the community feel the same as I do but just need to be brought together and would volunteer to help seal these homes. Its a safety issue also for the children that would possibly go into these homes to hangout or play and get hurt and no one would know til its too late. I thank you for reading my email and if I am out of place because I am not currently a resident I am sorry but I do care out of love I have for APCP and its residents.

Mod cut - reply letter removed - one cannot post a private letter/e-mail on a public forum without the consent of the author. Please paraphrase instead.

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO COMMENT AND I REALLY LOVE THAT PLACE AND THE PRICES ARE SERIOUSLY INVITING AND I JUST WANT INPUT FROM PEOPLE THERE NOW. AM I BEING OVERLY CONCERNED? HELP ME MAKE A WISE CHOICE!!!

Last edited by toobusytoday; 01-09-2012 at 08:36 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 06:49 PM

677 posts, read 707,776 times
We have tried to help you Sarge. While we may not still live there, we moved because of the way it is. We gave you our input. You are grasping at straws. What will prob happen is they will show your letter to the BOD and the BOD will mention it briefly at a meeting and that will be the end of it. Would be nice if I was wrong but I seriously doubt that.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:27 PM

You have to understand something although I have spoken to many people who lived in APCP or complained about PCP how can I not be skeptical when these were not no where near the experiences I have had. Seeing is believing and although it may not be heaven I have seen things of beauty in this place. Its not perfect there are problems that I do see but these are not the problems everyone has complained about. Possible you had a bad neighbor or two, maybe but everyone and I mean everyone I have met in this place was extremely pleasant. I started to think may be because there are all colors of the rainbow in PCP its because there is every color of the rainbow in a very diverse community has all the old time poconoers running scared. I don't mind a little Jay Z playing on the radio diversity is the spice of life. Note I am not saying you sir or anyone else on the blog may be slightly racist thats between you and your God but may be you would rather not live near a person of another country. May be people on the blogs are scared of big city people and big city problems and how dare they invade the beautiful Pocono Mountains. That's very possible, actually very understanding even because it changes the "Way of life". Now everything is different. Things were so simple but now they are changed. Well its changed everywhere. Unless you live in a hole in the ground by yourself and have been there for 50 years things are different ALL OVER. So J5K5LY respectively I appreciate everyone I have talked to on the blogs, learned a lot of things on here but on this thread I'd really prefer to speak with the people in the community TODAY 2012. The best way to plan is to speak with people that are living there today and hear their input. You will always say I told you so later on if I move there and come back on and say how suckie it is I mean I definitely would expect it from a lot of the bloggers in the NEPA forum. I already got one private message that told me doesn't matter what you say on here its only gonna remain negative anyway. But if things are so bad and you are living in APCP right now tell me. Give me a street, give me details cause best believe when I go up there I'm gonna check it all out 10 times over to see for myself cause like I said before countless times I've seen nothing of what all these negative reponses spoke of unless once again your scared to come under the rainbow and add diversity to your life. I am blessed enough to get along with everyone and to see a man for what he is a man not be afraid or worried because he may look different then me. I know I'm gonna take heat for this response from a lot of people but I'm gonna finally call it as I see it if I'm wrong then hey hate me because I have my own opinion and if I'm right I'll never know cause no one will ever be man enough to just admit that's how they feel.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:10 AM

1,134 posts, read 874,300 times
I have no personal opinion whether you should or should not buy a home in PCP ( I personally would not) , ( I live near by) but I read your letters and have to comment on what seems to be your final determination - that the negative response are from people afraid of diversity which sounds to me like a fancy way to say the negative responders are unjustly prejudiced. I think that is very unfair. The reasons for the conditions and reputations for PCP are varied and complicated. The Pocono mortgage scandals, the development of a relatively rural area, the economy , the difference in a full time community versus a part time community are just some of the factors. Everything is relative and your impression of a development is directly affected by where you are coming from and what your expectations are.
I think it is great that you are taking the time to investigate and ask questions but in the end you have to make up your own mind.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:20 AM

2,362 posts, read 2,387,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talloolla View Post
I have no personal opinion whether you should or should not buy a home in PCP ( I personally would not) , ( I live near by) but I read your letters and have to comment on what seems to be your final determination - that the negative response are from people afraid of diversity which sounds to me like a fancy way to say the negative responders are unjustly prejudiced. I think that is very unfair. The reasons for the conditions and reputations for PCP are varied and complicated. The Pocono mortgage scandals, the development of a relatively rural area, the economy , the difference in a full time community versus a part time community are just some of the factors. Everything is relative and your impression of a development is directly affected by where you are coming from and what your expectations are.
I think it is great that you are taking the time to investigate and ask questions but in the end you have to make up your own mind.
k:

Old 01-10-2012, 08:28 AM

3,975 posts, read 2,700,201 times
I personally would not buy a home in APCP. That's because I'm not in the market for a home. However, if I wanted to buy a home in a development, I would certainly be put off by the "alarming amount of homes with windows, doors and outside cellar doors wide open." My common sense tells me that even in the act of abandoning a home, one closes the door when leaving. It's just force of habit dontcha know? Given that, I'd have to wonder just who opened all these doors and windows of which you speak. And if there are an "alarming amount", I'd be concerned as to why the BOD hasn't taken care of the problem.

Sarge, despite the fact that your previous posts were all sincere-sounding, your recent post stops just short of an inference that all the NEPA posters are afraid of "diversity". Not fair.

Go ahead and buy your APCP home. And bon chance to you. But the APCP threads have been done to death and continuing to contribute to them is an exercise in futility.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:47 PM

I feel everyone's opinion here and I have a right to mine, I'm calling it as I see it the only difference is I'm not gonna be afraid to say it. Is everyone afraid of diversity in NEPA, of course not. Prejudice that's between You and God and I honestly don't care either way. I have my things I'm leary of. Do I want to live next to an Islamic Mosque, no. Do I hate Muslims, no but I'm leary of the fact that hate in this world might cause some nut to blow the Mosque up. So maybe I am prejudice cause I don't want to live next to a Mosque. Maybe that's wrong of me. But like everyone else on here I have the right to live where I want to live as long as I pay my bills n respect the law. Now I heard the side of the people who once lived, live near and know about APCP but now I'd like to hear from the people who actually live in the community. I was asked to start a new thread by Talloolla and he was right but if you really were done talking about the stuff I wanted to chat about on the other thread why follow me to this one? I might as well just kept posting on the other thread lol. Anyway please read the title Current Owners or Renters in APCP right now 2012 please respond all others I heard and respect your opinions and appreciate all we chatted about but now I just wanna hear from the people in the thick of APCP TODAY!!!

Old 01-10-2012, 03:20 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,387,789 times
Go out and ask them , knock on doors , go to the meetings ..
Go ask the local police dept about the place , Ask Harry Lewis he is the chief of Pocono Mountain Police Dept .. Ask Chief Zwally of the Fire company right there on RT 196 , Go stop in the VFW on rt 196 Have a drink and talk to the locals in there ,,, I would bet 1/2 the people who live in there rent anyway so they dont give a rats azz about the neighborhood and thats what destroyed it 20 yrs ago ..

Old 01-10-2012, 04:42 PM

Thats a plan Might just do that...

Old 01-19-2012, 10:49 PM

9 posts, read 15,554 times
Hello Sarge, my name is Tony Silverence and I am well known in the APCPPOA community. I tell you now, do yourself a GREAT FAVOR and stay as far away from this community as you can!

The reason you find the home prices so inviting is that there are a MULTITUDE of foreclosures here. Property values are in the toilet and WILL, due to underhanded dealings on the part of some members of the APCPPOA Board of Directors and employees of the APCP adminitration, be so for YEARS to come.

Crime is rampant here, not due to our fine security force, but due to the HUGE amount of section 8 tenants that are renting from multiple property owners.

I offer my credentials as so you know I tell you the truth.

I was the APCPPOA Judge of Elections in 2008-2009.

I am the founder of the former APCP411 (All property owners can participate) Home Owners Coalition

I was a community activist in APCP.

Save you money and your time...stay clear of APCP!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania