Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: NEPA's best newspapers
Citizens Voice 2 18.18%
Times Tribune 2 18.18%
Times Leader 4 36.36%
Other 3 27.27%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 09:07 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,256,142 times

Advertisements

I figured I'd post this because i am a bit of a local news junkie. I lihe Citizens Voice myself. I think that they have the best reporters, i like the smaller "tabloid" style which makes it much easier to read and less messy. I the other hand, I find the Times Tribune to be a joke, very opinionated, agenda driven, and amatuer. The only bright spot in that paper is the "John Cole" cartoons which are outstanding and as good or better than any national cartoons I have seen. I already had a sour opinion of the Times Tribune, but lost total respect for it when the featured their last "Local story of the year" and featured the Munchack/Cordaro conviction over the obvious story of the year, the September Flooding. It would've been one thing if they made a point to say "Lackawanna County's" story of the year, but they didn't, they claim that it was "NEPA's" story of the year, as if "they" and they alone, are the authority on all the local news stories. Putting the September flooding 2nd on the list is an insult and shows they are obviously biased and cannot admit that our region's biggest story of the year did not come out of Scranton. Very amatuer and childish IMO. On the contrary, I think the fact that W-B still has two daily newspapers that compete head to head drives excellence and better overall performance from both the Times leader and Citizens Voice. Your thoughts?

Last edited by W-B proud; 01-15-2012 at 09:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 09:38 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,121,751 times
You left out a couple

Pocono Record
Wayne Independent .

You did say NORTHEAST Pa ..

Old 01-15-2012, 10:09 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,863,103 times
I couldn't really compare the CV to any others because I don't read them and not necessarily because they are bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
i like the smaller "tabloid" style which makes it much easier to read and less messy.
Love the format and one of the reasons I stick with it.

As far as the TL goes if the numbers are correct I suspect they won't be in business much longer considering the financial troubles their parent company is having. I don't know if that is necessarily a good thing, competition is always a good thing.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:19 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,909,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
I figured I'd post this because i am a bit of a local news junkie. I lihe Citizens Voice myself. I think that they have the best reporters, i like the smaller "tabloid" style which makes it much easier to read and less messy. I the other hand, I find the Times Tribune to be a joke, very opinionated, agenda driven, and amatuer. The only bright spot in that paper is the "John Cole" cartoons which are outstanding and as good or better than any national cartoons I have seen. I already had a sour opinion of the Times Tribune, but lost total respect for it when the featured their last "Local story of the year" and featured the Munchack/Cordaro conviction over the obvious story of the year, the September Flooding. It would've been one thing if they made a point to say "Lackawanna County's" story of the year, but they didn't, they claim that it was "NEPA's" story of the year, as if "they" and they alone, are the authority on all the local news stories. Putting the September flooding 2nd on the list is an insult and shows they are obviously biased and cannot admit that our region's biggest story of the year did not come out of Scranton. Very amatuer and childish IMO. On the contrary, I think the fact that W-B still has two daily newspapers that compete head to head drives excellence and better overall performance from both the Times leader and Citizens Voice. Your thoughts?
Absolutely. In addition, CV is owned by the Times Trib. Think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I couldn't really compare the CV to any others because I don't read them and not necessarily because they are bad.

Love the format and one of the reasons I stick with it.

As far as the TL goes if the numbers are correct I suspect they won't be in business much longer considering the financial troubles their parent company is having. I don't know if that is necessarily a good thing, competition is always a good thing.
I certainly hate to think of losing the TL. A one-newspaper town only gets one POV.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:40 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,602,472 times
The Pocono Record is a wonderful newspaper for the Pocono region. However, I think up in Scranton you would read more local news concerning your area. ( and its politics also)
That is why many of your conversations involving politicans have me lost. It's a whole different ball game down here. ( in NEPA Stroudsburg/Pocono area)

Old 01-15-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside4ever View Post
You left out a couple

Pocono Record
Wayne Independent .

You did say NORTHEAST Pa ..
There are several more too including the Standard Speaker, but only 4 poll options so I picked the big three and put "other" for those who like something else

Old 01-16-2012, 06:17 PM

115 posts, read 272,856 times
CV just because it's easier to read! I no longer live in the area and read the TL online because their website is nicer.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:50 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,771,563 times
The Times-Leader, by far. The Times-Tribune is the most slanted political rag around....and they also own the Citizens Voice and the Standard Speaker. I can't take any publication from Times-Shamrock seriously. It is amazing how they slant their "news" to put Chris Doherty in the best possible light.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:55 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,771,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post

I certainly hate to think of losing the TL. A one-newspaper town only gets one POV.
Case in point is the fact that Scranton is a one-newspaper town. If the TL went under, Wilkes-Barre would also be stuck with the local news being dictated by Times-Shamrock, which is dangerous. The newspapers are the only real source for local news, since the TV newscasts cover too wide of an area, and are too busy covering brush fires 2 hours west of here in the boonies of Tioga (or Clinton, Northumberland, Snyder, Union, etc) counties to be truly considered local. I wish we could have at least 1 newscast that was dedicated to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre news.

Old 01-18-2012, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
Case in point is the fact that Scranton is a one-newspaper town. If the TL went under, Wilkes-Barre would also be stuck with the local news being dictated by Times-Shamrock, which is dangerous. The newspapers are the only real source for local news, since the TV newscasts cover too wide of an area, and are too busy covering brush fires 2 hours west of here in the boonies of Tioga (or Clinton, Northumberland, Snyder, Union, etc) counties to be truly considered local. I wish we could have at least 1 newscast that was dedicated to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre news.
I'm scared that if the Times Leader goes under that it would end Wilkes-barre news coverage as we know it. I could see a scenario where the Times Tribune combines all it's local newspapers into one generic paper with 95% of the coverage for Scranton/Lackawanna county with the leftover crumbs for W-B, Hazleton what have you. The Wyoming valley is large enough and independent enough that it is entitled to its own newspaper with it's own reporters etc. Hell, Wilkes-Barre alone has been supporting two newspapers for decades now. I'm very afraid The Times Tribune will turn the local newspapers into a print version of what WNEP does! Very scary!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania