Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 10:40 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,086,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Moving somewhere exclusively for a job offer is a terrible idea. I did that when I moved from NEPA to NoVA, and besides the job I found every other aspect of living in Fairfax County to be abhorrent. At least now I moved somewhere for the CORRECT reasoning, and gainful employment is now the only think I lack whereas I had gainful employment and nothing else in NoVA.

so true--came back to nepa cause of a job offer and old family ties---worst decision-----relative will now pick locale as deciding factor in next job move(if economy ever picks up)

Old 01-20-2012, 10:46 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,305,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside4ever View Post
Handling Business as in what ? Buying drugs ? 112ths st on up to 116 is a supermarket just as most all of east new york ( New Lots ave ) I was a Cop that worked out of the 73pct ,,Please dont tell me things I already know from LIVING IT ... Bill Clinton moved his office there cause it was givin to him for FREE .. Try getting in that building ... Harlem is just that Harlem go hang out on a corner at 3 am .. Then tell me Harlem is safe
What the heck kind of nonsense is this? I meet white men all the time who ask me where I was raised and mention the business they are doing up there (usually construction or development), and they seem to know the area better than I do. There are definitely parts of East New York I wouldn't be caught dead in...but I'm a slight female and I have no problem walking around Harlem at 3 am.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:48 AM

People are so quick to jump on the OP for ascribing his lack of difficulty at finding a job in this rural area to racism...but as another poster pointed out, see this is economically depressed, rural white majority area, people are probably giving jobs to their aunt, niece, nephew or sister, and not Dwayne. That's not shocking.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:57 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,850,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Moving somewhere exclusively for a job offer is a terrible idea. I did that when I moved from NEPA to NoVA, and besides the job I found every other aspect of living in Fairfax County to be abhorrent. At least now I moved somewhere for the CORRECT reasoning, and gainful employment is now the only think I lack whereas I had gainful employment and nothing else in NoVA.
While this is true, sometimes the need for employment to support one's self and family, leave a current situation, and/or seek a 'better life' (even in the future) outweighs more immediate factors.

It follows that before making such a move, one should understand prospects for employment, availability of affordable living, and suitability of the local "culture". This is MUCH easier done now, before moving, than 10 or 100 or more years ago (!!) as so many bravely did.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:22 AM

50 posts, read 108,902 times
Quote:
Handling Business as in what ? Buying drugs ? 112ths st on up to 116 is a supermarket just as most all of east new york ( New Lots ave ) I was a Cop that worked out of the 73pct ,,Please dont tell me things I already know from LIVING IT ... Bill Clinton moved his office there cause it was givin to him for FREE .. Try getting in that building ... Harlem is just that Harlem go hang out on a corner at 3 am .. Then tell me Harlem is safe

Ok, so according to you everyone who lives or goes to East NY is into buying or dealing drugs?

I used to live in East NY/Brownsville so I think I might know a little bit about the area as well. There areas to go to and areas to avoid, especially at night whether you are black or white. You just need to know how to handle yourself and use common sense.

112ths st on up to 116 is a supermarket just as is most of all of East NY
You are talking about 4 blocks. I thought Harlem encompasses the area from above 96th st to the 150s?

Bill Clinton moved into his office because it was given to him for free..
Even if that is the case, that's irrelevant. If he didn't want to work in Harlem he just wouldn't. And no, I have no interest in getting in that building and I don't even know where you are going with that.

Harlem is just that Harlem go hang out on a corner at 3 am... Then tell me Harlem is safe.
First of all I never said that Harlem is totally safe, I said that it is in the process of gentrification. Hang out at the corner at 3 am?? Are you serious? Who does that?, unless you are a prostitute, addict, dealer or looking for trouble. I wouldn't do that in Harlem or anywhere else for that matter.

I thought, I was responding to a thread about racism and jobs?? Instead you go off about crime and I wasn't even talking about crime.

Last edited by truserenity; 01-20-2012 at 12:10 PM..

Old 01-20-2012, 11:24 AM

50 posts, read 108,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
What the heck kind of nonsense is this? I meet white men all the time who ask me where I was raised and mention the business they are doing up there (usually construction or development), and they seem to know the area better than I do. There are definitely parts of East New York I wouldn't be caught dead in...but I'm a slight female and I have no problem walking around Harlem at 3 am.

ITA!

Old 01-20-2012, 12:24 PM

FYI, I've lived in East Midtown (Manhattan) and have had trouble walking the streets at 3 am...a random group of drunk people tried to start a physical fight when they bumped into me. That's never happened to me in Harlem.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:27 PM

2,362 posts, read 5,139,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truserenity View Post
Ok, so according to you everyone who lives or goes to East NY is into buying or dealing drugs?

I used to live in East NY/Brownsville so I think I might know a little bit about the area as well. There areas to go to and areas to avoid, especially at night whether you are black or white. You just need to know how to handle yourself and use common sense.

112ths st on up to 116 is a supermarket just as is most of all of East NY
You are talking about 4 blocks. I thought Harlem encompasses the area from above 96th st to the 150s?

Bill Clinton moved into his office because it was given to him for free..
Even if that is the case, that's irrelevant. If he didn't want to work in Harlem he just wouldn't. And no, I have no interest in getting in that building and I don't even know where you are going with that.

Harlem is just that Harlem go hang out on a corner at 3 am... Then tell me Harlem is safe.
First of all I never said that Harlem is totally safe, I said that it is in the process of gentrification. Hang out at the corner at 3 am?? Are you serious? Who does that?, unless you are a prostitute, addict, dealer or looking for trouble. I wouldn't do that in Harlem or anywhere else for that matter.

I thought, I was responding to a thread about racism and jobs?? Instead you go off about crime and I wasn't even talking about crime.
Ummm You could be PERFECTLY safe in my town at 3 am in the morning OR any other hr for that matter ,, This whole thread is about the poor black man who cant get a job because of their skin color and how they are treated different ,,, Well I said the white man gets treated different in MOSTLY black areas and Used those ares as an example .. Things are tough all over . No matter what your skin color EVERYONE is having a rough time .. Suck it up.. FIND A WAY to change it .. dont complain about it ... Actions speak louder then words ...... Holla .

Old 01-20-2012, 02:31 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,086,429 times
Quote:
Ummm You could be PERFECTLY safe in my town at 3 am in the morning OR any other hr for that matter ,, This whole thread is about the poor black man who cant get a job because of their skin color and how they are treated different ,,, Well I said the white man gets treated different in MOSTLY black areas and Used those ares as an example .. Things are tough all over . No matter what your skin color EVERYONE is having a rough time .. Suck it up.. FIND A WAY to change it .. dont complain about it ... Actions speak louder then words ...... Holla .
don't agree with white person being treated differently in black areas----been there done that and was treated better than in my current 99% white neighborhood and i am old

Old 01-20-2012, 09:02 PM

923 posts, read 3,094,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinman5323 View Post
I have been here for some time now...and i can honestly say i thought nyc was bad to get work..but this place takes the cake..its either under employed or unemployed here..not to mention the constant jerking you get when asking about work..if any other right minded black person knows or can point me in the right direction it will be much appreciated...the only thing i have learned in pa,well at least this region of pa..racism is like air..EVERY ****ING WHERE!!!
I post this quite often - the UCSC (unemployment compensation service center) is almost always hiring - just hired another 9 people !! Sad to say They do not discriminate, although veterans get priority. Go to the Career Link office and ask !!! Hope this helps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania