Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 08:55 PM

4 posts, read 7,282 times

Advertisements

I have been here for some time now...and i can honestly say i thought nyc was bad to get work..but this place takes the cake..its either under employed or unemployed here..not to mention the constant jerking you get when asking about work..if any other right minded black person knows or can point me in the right direction it will be much appreciated...the only thing i have learned in pa,well at least this region of pa..racism is like air..EVERY ****ING WHERE!!!

Old 01-18-2012, 09:35 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
If it's any consolation I'm a college-educated WHITE male who has been underemployed for over a year now. This recession has been unkind to everyone, black or white, gay or straight, Catholic or Muslim, etc.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:04 PM

its no consolation and to bad we wake up to very different realities..the black unemployment rate boasts no equality in being underemployed and unemployed

Old 01-18-2012, 10:09 PM

63 posts, read 88,780 times
That area has been depressed since WW2. Jobs are hard to find there period. The jobs that are available deginately do not go to African-Americans.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:25 AM

This is why I can't wait to get the **** out of here

Old 01-19-2012, 07:05 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,137,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinman5323 View Post
I have been here for some time now...and i can honestly say i thought nyc was bad to get work..but this place takes the cake..its either under employed or unemployed here..not to mention the constant jerking you get when asking about work..if any other right minded black person knows or can point me in the right direction it will be much appreciated...the only thing i have learned in pa,well at least this region of pa..racism is like air..EVERY ****ING WHERE!!!
If you would have done your research before you moved here you would have looked elsewhere . Because the area has been the same or worse for the last 20 yrs ... Nothing has changed Its always been like this . , Microsoft did not move into town .. And what does SKIN color have to do with it ? Dont play the RACE card because you cant find work.. There are a slew of white, yellow and red folks who are outta work too . I guess you get the same reaction here in people as a white person would walking through Harlem Or East New York... I actually dont know ANYPLACE that dont have racism.. Its just a part of life and you deal with it .. Of course some will be rude and shout out derogatory words and name calling .. But deep down WHY are they doing it .? people are not born to hate ,,, They are taught it ... I hope you find what your looking for brother .. Its out there . It prob just aint here ....

Old 01-19-2012, 07:24 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
I listed five companies that are hiring or just hired in my area (Monroe County): http://www.city-data.com/forum/northeastern-pennsylvania/1470302-some-signs-life-workers-monroe-county.html
I work part time for one of them and I am usually out numbered by the minorities. If anything; I feel that the one company goes out of it’s way to hire minorities.

At one time I had raised foster kids and I always told them to try to find work with new companies just opening up. New businesses are hungry for workers and they don’t have the bad practices of companies that have been in business for a long time - such as; nepotism and favoritism. Nepotism and favoritism are not exclusively white only practices.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:24 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,815,234 times
Quote:
Its not racism....its just that very few decent job openings exist in this area. Its a struggle to find jobs in NEPA for people of all colors.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:11 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
its no consolation and to bad we wake up to very different realities..the black unemployment rate boasts no equality in being underemployed and unemployed
No offense, and perhaps things are different in Wilkes-Barre (Mr. Yuk can correct me if I'm mistaken) but I know of more African-American males in Pittsburgh who are voluntarily unemployed and just loiter in various areas than Caucasian males. Both employers I've worked at since moving here have graciously hired people of all walks of life---black, white, Asian, straight, gay, Jewish, Atheist, Roman Catholic, etc. The VAST MAJORITY of employers will judge you, a prospective job applicant, based upon how badly you seem to want the job, how professionally (or not) you dress for an interview, the amount of questions (and types of questions) you ask, your resume and cover letter, etc.

"Jobs" are plentiful, even during the recession, so when a black male says "I can't get a job" I just have to assume they're lazy because my employer just hired an African-American (and is still looking for more of any race), my former employer had a 50/50 split of whites and blacks, and there are "NOW HIRING" signs everywhere. "Career opportunities", however, are VERY scarce now, so if you're complaining about the underemployment rate being sky-high then you're most certainly justified in doing so. If you can't get a "job" then it's because YOU are doing something wrong in interviews OR you think too many "jobs" are "beneath" you. I deliver food for a living with my degree and net about $1,800/month. My partner has been an office grunt/"temp" for three years now with his degrees and makes $11/hr. Most people I know in Pittsburgh are educated, and most are definitely UNDERemployed but none are UNemployed.

McDonald's won't even hire you? Isn't minimum wage still better than nothing at all? I wish I had a $50,000 salary and was working in my field. My partner would be earning a similar salary, and we'd be quite affluent for a 25-year-old couple. Nevertheless we're still working very hard and are paying our bills (on our own) WITHOUT accepting handouts.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:41 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,084,230 times
whoo!!--this area is very prejudiced----sure jobs are difficult to find here but be honest---most employers here will NOT hire a black person or a latino over a white person no matter how qualified they may be----stereotypical ideas of all races still persist here and nepotism/who u know is still the deciding factor in handing out a position----most positions here ARE held by those totally unqualified to do the job--hence all the poor management issues and mishandling of monies---i could go on but i digress
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania