Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 11:23 AM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times

Advertisements

No I would say that the Wilkes-Barre occupy movement would be a very bad place to hook up with New Age type people - unless the OP was looking for New Age Anti-Semites.

Here are some good places though. I am kind of "Wilkes-Barre centic" because that's where I live.

1. ArtsYOUniverse in Wilkes-Barre - a converted city church with classes and mini galleries and many opportunities to meet up with artistic and spiritual folk. Some actives and events include yoga and meditation classes, Tarot Card readings, belly dance classes, A glass art shop, art classes, and you get the idea. There is always something going on there.

2. Tilbury Knob an interesting little shop that sells sage, incense,native American items, crystals, and more. The also offer Reiki healing on Saturday, as well as Tarot Readings. (W-B)

3. Obscurities - Right across the street from Tilbury Knob on East North Hampton, is an eccentric little shop that is not open too much, but when it is, it's worth it. It's owner, a self proclaimed Wizard, is chock full of interesting information about folk lore in the Wyoming Valley and the Susquehanna River. The shop sells sage, incense, New Age books, and Magikal items.

The greater Kingston-Wilkes-Barre areas have New Age fairs several times a year. The local free papers are great sources of thin information.

The Unity Church is Christian based, but more new age in their prospective. They teach classes in creative visualization and A Course in Miracles. I know several people who belong there, and the are a really nice and welcoming group of people. Also, in Wilkes-Barre
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 01:42 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,623,261 times
It is a stretch but there is quite a large Wiccan following in the area, although for the most part they are low key.. there are a few business that cater to new age/ Wiccan... Fusion if you may...

Old 02-03-2012, 06:23 AM

13 posts, read 26,143 times
Top O the mountain is not bad at all. I am a transplant from the Philly area and am pretty conservative by nature but I always keep the politics to a minimum or at least share in a joking format because one thing I learned is you will never convince anyone else that their way is wrong, it's just different and you gotta move on from there. I live in Pocono Lake, Arrowhead Lakes to be exact but the whole stretch of 940 from the Pines West through White Haven and south to Albrightsville and the jim Thorpe area is very nice!

Old 02-03-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnqpublic View Post
It is a stretch but there is quite a large Wiccan following in the area, although for the most part they are low key.. there are a few business that cater to new age/ Wiccan... Fusion if you may...
Not at all John. There is a fairly healthy Pagan/ Wiccan community that runs from E.Stroudsburg to Wilkes-Barre. They are low key, for pretty obvious reasons. There are a lot of bigots out there, as well as quite a few misinformed Christians who think that Wiccans worship Satan, when infact, Satan is a Christian construct.

Some Wiccans find a spiritual home in Unitarian Unilateralist fellowships, who are generally very inclusive.

There is a UU fellowship in Wilkes-Barre.

BTW, Not all Unitarian Universalists are Wiccan - but some are.

I think as opposed to my native (or former) Long Island, NEPA has way more New Age oriented, or spiritually eclectic people.

Old 02-04-2012, 01:26 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,623,261 times
[quote=sheena12;22836053]Not at all John. There is a fairly healthy Pagan/ Wiccan community that runs from E.Stroudsburg to Wilkes-Barre. They are low key, for pretty obvious reasons. There are a lot of bigots out there, as well as quite a few misinformed Christians who think that Wiccans worship Satan, when infact, Satan is a Christian construct.

Some Wiccans find a spiritual home in Unitarian Unilateralist fellowships, who are generally very inclusive.

There is a UU fellowship in Wilkes-Barre.

BTW, Not all Unitarian Universalists are Wiccan - but some are.

I think as opposed to my native (or former) Long Island, NEPA has way more New Age oriented, or spiritually eclectic people.[/quote

Why "Not at all" ???? I think we just said the same thing.... confused....

Old 02-08-2012, 02:33 PM

No I meant it would "not be a stretch" to say that. Sorry for the confusion.

Old 06-01-2013, 10:12 AM

1 posts, read 2,462 times
I am a 62 year old artist who currently lives in a very politically progressive, artsy community. Investigating the Poconos as a possible place to move to be closer to my family that lives in Brooklyn.
I plan a visit to see what my gut tells me, but wonder if there are places that I can find where there are artistic/spiritual- buddhist leaning, progressive folks like me. I will need to find kindred spirits since I am coming alone.
I am looking at lake front properties. Any info./ suggestions?
Thanx, andi

Old 06-02-2013, 07:31 AM

908 posts, read 1,554,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afaith48 View Post
I am a 62 year old artist who currently lives in a very politically progressive, artsy community. Investigating the Poconos as a possible place to move to be closer to my family that lives in Brooklyn.
I plan a visit to see what my gut tells me, but wonder if there are places that I can find where there are artistic/spiritual- buddhist leaning, progressive folks like me. I will need to find kindred spirits since I am coming alone.
I am looking at lake front properties. Any info./ suggestions?
Thanx, andi
You may find more progressive folks in the Lehigh Valley area of Pa, Bethlehem comes to mind especially. Of course Philadelphia has even more progressives. If your heart isn't set on Pa, Red Bank, NJ is progressive heaven, has many pretty river front properties, and is closer to Brooklyn than the Poconos. Plus the beach is close by!
We're a progressive family, and plan on leaving NEPA for a more progressive area before our oldest goes to H.S. Red Bank is on top of our list.
We'd do the Lehigh Valley, but a major caveat for us is the area also has high smoking rates. Not as high as Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area where nearly 25% of the population smokes, but high enough to affect air quality, especially for asthmatics. Not to mention other factors that affect air quality for people with asthma. Consider the fact that fracking is spreading thanks to Corbett, the poor water quality will also get worse. I mention this because as a progressive I'm sure the environment concerns you.
Wish you well on your quest to a comfortable new home. May you settle in the most comfortable place for you,bringing you the most happiness.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:01 PM

908 posts, read 1,554,650 times
How is advising someone to seek advice from like minded individuals about a place they wish to move, to watch for advice from people who may have a soft-spot for an area which can possibly skew their perception, and make use of the ignore feature off-topic? Ughhh....NEPA....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania