U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 06:37 PM

503 posts, read 530,172 times

Advertisements

One thing about downtown is you have to pay to park, or else walk 6-8 blocks. It would be nice to have easier access for Farmer's Market, the stores and other events. I prefer parking on the street, as there are so many news stories about cars getting burglarized in the garages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 08:21 PM

1,974 posts, read 3,372,199 times
I like the idea of a diner, but Poloka's diner was at Market Street square. I think they had a good run, but closed down several years ago. I also think that lot deserves a prominant, large structure like the Sterling was. A diner, although a good idea, I think would be a better idea for a different location perhaps on Main street somewhere.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:28 PM

26,562 posts, read 47,325,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoalCityTrash View Post
I just don't understand the focus on the Township.
Nationally people are now realizing the folly of urban sprawl as they sit in traffic progressively longer and longer with each passing year and are trending back towards the same walkable mixed-use neighborhoods that our grandparents helped to forge and solidify before the post-WWII/"White Flight" era came into play. Places like Center City Philadelphia; Pittsburgh's East End, South Side, and Lower North Side; most of the District of Columbia; and many other urban neighborhoods are rapidly growing and becoming expensive. Nearly 60% of today's home-buyers list the ability to walk to points of interest like parks, restaurants, houses of worship, schools, etc. to be a top priority, and places like the Back Mountain, Mountain Top, The Abingtons, etc. don't offer that and never will due to their sprawling nature. NEPA is consistently behind the rest of the nation on most trends, but if Philadelphia and Pittsburgh are both seeing an influx of younger educated people into their urban cores then it stands to reason that Scranton and Wilkes-Barre, too, will soon see such a boom.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:31 AM

4,084 posts, read 5,864,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Nearly 60% of today's home-buyers list the ability to walk to points of interest like parks, restaurants, houses of worship, schools, etc. to be a top priority, and places like the Back Mountain, Mountain Top, The Abingtons, etc. don't offer that and never will due to their sprawling nature. NEPA is consistently behind the rest of the nation on most trends, but if Philadelphia and Pittsburgh are both seeing an influx of younger educated people into their urban cores then it stands to reason that Scranton and Wilkes-Barre, too, will soon see such a boom.
No they won't, not ever. Sorry, but there is NO comparison between them that would even remotely indicate that this area is ever going to see such a boom.

Have you been reading the papers, watching the news? Do you see what is going on in Scranton? How about a 78% tax increase and increased fees across the board for ALL residents and business's.......

Lets not forget that we have a HUGE multi-million dollar budget short fall and a looming $20,000,000 almost $30,000,000 judgement against the city.

The Parking Authority is going belly up and soon the Sewer Authority and Redevelopment Authority will most likely follow under the keen and knowledgeable leadership of Mayor Doherty's highly educated appointees.

The Abingtons, Dickson City, Moosic and the surrounding communities will continue to see a BOOM of residents fleeing the S.S. Titanic(Scranton) for better pastures to raise families in. Scranton will resemble a town out of a Mad Max film in tens or less.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:58 AM

8 posts, read 11,455 times
I find it amazing that someone who left the area quite a while ago still feels it is ok to bash the area that he left. Maybe come back and help us make this a wonderful paradise like you found in Va, no wait Pittsburg. Not every metropolitan area is having an urban boom, you couldn't pay me to live in downtown Indianapolis, or Wichita, or large parts of LA, and yes I have lived there. I also went to college at Georgetown so I can tell you some things about DC that makes me not want to live there either. I saw the country and everthing that the large cities have to offer and decided a few years ago to come back to a nice area to raise the kids. I make a great living in management in one of those evil distribution centers you seem to hate but remember 10-15% of their workforce is management and makes good $. I live in Kingston and commute to Hazleton and the drive is more miles but less time than I ever had before, so why don't you come back and help instead of just telling us what we do is wrong?

Old 06-11-2012, 10:26 AM

7,939 posts, read 9,714,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Nearly 60% of today's home-buyers list the ability to walk to points of interest like parks, restaurants, houses of worship, schools, etc. to be a top priority, and places like the Back Mountain, Mountain Top, The Abingtons, etc. don't offer that and never will due to their sprawling nature.

I agree, and think we would be better off if more people located to areas where they could use their cars less. If anything would help the environment and lessen dependence on foreign oil, that would be it. I actually recently applied for a job that would be a slight pay cut to work in Scranton rather than drive to Wilkes-Barre every day. I'd be able to walk to work rather than the 40-mile round-trip commute on 81 every day. Just the stress level alone, as well as more time at home rather than driving, would be great.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:47 AM

144 posts, read 101,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
No they won't, not ever. Sorry, but there is NO comparison between them that would even remotely indicate that this area is ever going to see such a boom.

Have you been reading the papers, watching the news? Do you see what is going on in Scranton? How about a 78% tax increase and increased fees across the board for ALL residents and business's.......

Lets not forget that we have a HUGE multi-million dollar budget short fall and a looming $20,000,000 almost $30,000,000 judgement against the city.

The Parking Authority is going belly up and soon the Sewer Authority and Redevelopment Authority will most likely follow under the keen and knowledgeable leadership of Mayor Doherty's highly educated appointees.

The Abingtons, Dickson City, Moosic and the surrounding communities will continue to see a BOOM of residents fleeing the S.S. Titanic(Scranton) for better pastures to raise families in. Scranton will resemble a town out of a Mad Max film in tens or less.
What does any of that have to do with anything? The most populated places in the world cost the most to live in. If high taxes & related issues were gonna keep people from moving to an area, NYC, Philly, & similar cities would be entirely empty, wouldn't they?
Besides that, our population is finally evening out & is sure to bounce back up. The major influx of citizens from NY, NJ, & Philly that has been going on the past decade, & still is has boosted us up past the point where we're falling. We seem to be about level now & people keep coming in. Using 3rd grade logic, one can only postulate that the next most likely step in the pattern is a population boom.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:51 AM

26,562 posts, read 47,325,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
I agree, and think we would be better off if more people located to areas where they could use their cars less. If anything would help the environment and lessen dependence on foreign oil, that would be it. I actually recently applied for a job that would be a slight pay cut to work in Scranton rather than drive to Wilkes-Barre every day. I'd be able to walk to work rather than the 40-mile round-trip commute on 81 every day. Just the stress level alone, as well as more time at home rather than driving, would be great.
Well, I wish you the very best of luck in landing this career opportunity, Mr. Yuk! I realize a Scanton-to-Wilkes-Barre commute (probably 30 minutes at rush-hour via I-81?) isn't Earth-shattering, and sure enough the AVERAGE commute time where I used to live in Northern Virginia surpassed thirty minutes; however, you really can't put a price tag on a shorter commute giving you more free time to spend with your family. Even if this meant having just enough daylight left when you got home from work in late-Fall to play catch with your son in the backyard or to go for a quick jog with your wife that could make a world of difference in stress reduction. My father commutes on I-81 from Pittston Twp. to the Mid-Valley on a daily basis, and he really tires of all of the construction-related congestion during his rush-hour drives.

People using their cars less would not only lead to cleaner air but also less of a dependency upon foreign oil, which would stave off our eventual "Peak Oil" crisis and make us less likely to have to face future foreign conflict over this depleting fossil fuel. People using their cars less and walking more would lead to slimmer waistlines, less hemorrhoids, lower stress levels, and more of that "community" feel that has largely gone by the wayside over the past few generations as most people now just hop into their SUVs, pull out of their garages, speed away, and then pull back into their garage and stay indoors.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:56 AM

1,974 posts, read 3,372,199 times
We have several things working against us here in regards to people wanting to live closer to our downtown's. .1 we just are small cities, we do not have the "wow" factor that draws people to real, big cities. 2. We simply do not have high paying office jobs that attracts fresh out of college grads, singles. As far as empty nestor's, I don't see why they would want to live in a downtown W-B or Scranton. Big cities have much to offer, a wide range of restaraunts, entertainment, things to do, markets to shop at etc...we have slim pickins in all those regards. The thrill, for me, to live in a downtown would be the hustle and bustle, the views, being close to the action, the liveliness...we just don't have it here (to small), (too old), no jobs. 3. I believe many, many off the people that have decided to move back into downtown's and inner city neighborhoods in big cities like Philly etc. simply do it out of not having to sit in traffic for 2-3 hrs. a day...Again we don't have major daily traffic issues here, (unless it is due to the I-81 construction). Big cities also offer awesome mass transit...trains, subways, buses that run 24-7, taxi cabs all over....You really don't even need a car to live in Philly (downtown), NYC, Boston etc. Here you do need a car especially if you live in downtown, and parking options are very limited unless you want to pay out of the nose. All and all it is just a totally different way of life, and we here in NEPA cannot offer the things that make living in a downtown in a big city desirable. That's my opinion

Old 06-11-2012, 11:02 AM

144 posts, read 101,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post

P.S.
I asked this before & never got an answer. Why do you speak with such authority? I've never seen you say "I think" "I believe" "It is my contention" or anything like that. You always just speak like your word is unarguable truth. Maybe more people would listen to you & take you more seriously if you accepted the possibility that you might be wrong once in a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania