Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 01:36 PM

1,294 posts, read 3,252,913 times

Advertisements

At first I thought this article was going to be pro-drilling, then I kept reading...

Cosmic Log - It's not fracking's fault, study says

Hey look, South Montrose!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 02:45 PM

8,053 posts, read 7,419,522 times
I knew it would be anti-fracking when I saw msnbc.com in the link!

Frack on brother, frack on...

Old 02-16-2012, 03:30 PM

Frack on? You must have missed the part where the MSNBC article said the contamination is coming from improper fracking by the drillers.

But go ahead, keep believing what you will.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:45 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Anyone near the Dimmock area on here? They referenced the "water on fire" a few times in that report and it's always mentioned in everyone of these articles as it certainly makes for sensational news reporting.

I have an Uncle in that area and know a few other people that lived near there, everyone of them has told me this was a problem before the fracking. It should also be noted this is only area in the entire country where water that catches fire has happened with fracking nearby. At most what you have is a situation where mans activities has increased what is a natural occurrence.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:21 PM

63 posts, read 88,786 times
Everytime I hear "frack" or "fracking" I think of the old 70's Battlestar Galactica. They used "frack" in lieu of...well you know.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Anyone near the Dimmock area on here? They referenced the "water on fire" a few times in that report and it's always mentioned in everyone of these articles as it certainly makes for sensational news reporting.

I have an Uncle in that area and know a few other people that lived near there, everyone of them has told me this was a problem before the fracking. It should also be noted this is only area in the entire country where water that catches fire has happened with fracking nearby. At most what you have is a situation where mans activities has increased what is a natural occurrence.
I think you spread this misinformation before on CD. I grew up near Dimock and you never could catch the water on fire. I have no idea who you were talking to, but you either misunderstood them or they were talking about some other place.

That area of Susquehanna was until recently a very rural and healthy area. Now a lot of the smaller roads are falling apart and the areas of drilling are a blight in a normally wooded areas.

At the very least, the gov't should tax something on these drilling companies so they can maintain the roads and other infrastructure. At thats a bare-minimum need.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp2007 View Post
I think you spread this misinformation before on CD.
It's even been mentioned in the newspaper years ago. As I've said my knowledge is from people that have lived near there so I'll ask again anyone live near there?

FYI I'm actually quite familiar with Dimock, Montose or even all the way to the NY border and all the roads in between because I spent years driving on them delivering coal. I probably know Wyoming and Susquehanna counties better than the people that live there. I haven't been up there in years, I'll have to take a ride around to see what condition they are in. I know when this all started the gas companies were investing a lot of money into infrastructure simply because they had too.

Last edited by thecoalman; 02-17-2012 at 10:24 AM..

Old 02-17-2012, 11:11 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,094,204 times
The only people defending this environmental and regional nightmare are those that are profiting from it or those that don't really see what has been happening.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
The only people defending this environmental and regional nightmare are those that are profiting from it or those that don't really see what has been happening.
Everyone in the nation is profiting from this, have you seen what the cost of natural gas is lately?

Here's the trouble I have, you're going to have environmentalists on one side of the issue that want to stop this by all means possible. The water on fire is prime example because it's mentioned or even the focus of most articles I read. Even if it were caused by the drilling it's the only area in the country it has occurred. They focus on this at the start of the article but do you think that is a little biased when the report they are citing says this:

Quote:
Among the other findings:
Natural gas found in water wells within some shale gas areas, such as the Marcellus Shale, can be traced to natural sources. The report said the gas was probably present before the onset of shale gas operations.
And this:
Quote:
The researchers concluded that many of the reports of contamination can be traced to above-ground spills or other mishandling of the wastewater, Groat said. Other causes of the contamination include underground casing failures or poor cement jobs. "These problems are not unique to hydraulic fracturing," Groat said in a news release.
The major issue with the wastewater is that it's saline.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:16 PM

8,053 posts, read 7,419,522 times
Pro-nuke people don't like fracking either. Rod Adams Makes an Important Point About Fracking - By Reihan Salam - The Agenda - National Review Online
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania