U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2012, 10:41 PM

6 posts, read 8,615 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. My husband, two year old son and I live in CO now and are looking to relocate to PA. Many years ago I lived in Verona and Wilmerding and I loved both areas. I have been looking at Northeastern PA, and am also falling for the rolling hills, and quaint homes. We have quite a few things that we are looking for, and I am deciding if trying a new area for both of us would be great, or returning to the PGH area and going with the little bit I know. Our needs are;

Homes in move in/decent condition for at or less than 100K. In a good neighborhood with great schools. I don't need Mayberry, but I also don't want to worry about stray bullets getting stabbed/robbed in broad daylight either.

Close, but not TOO close to a larger city. My husband is a police dispatcher, and that is the field he is looking to stay in. I know that with his experience he has a great chance of landing a job. That we will secure before we go, but I am the planner and need to know where we will be living! I like Costco for my bigger needs, but am all about supporting local businesses in the area. We also are used to 30-45 minute commutes, so small town living is what we are seeking.

While diversity is not a huge issue, we are a IR couple (BW/WM), and I want to be in an area where race is not a huge dis qualifier. I remember in Pittsburgh it was not an issue even back 14-15 years ago. I am not so sure with NEPA. I just want an area where my son and family will be ok.

On the preferred but not necessary note, I would prefer a town with families and not youngsters looking to get drunk or party.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 08:18 PM

755 posts, read 2,111,020 times
You might want to check out the Milford/Shohola/Dingman area. This area fits most of your criteria. Good schools, family oriented area, not too far for shopping. Although a trip to Costco is about 1 hr one way down to NJ, not sure if there's another one closer. Pike County was recently hiring for dispatchers as they are on the verge of opening a new fire training/emergency services center. Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:27 PM

6 posts, read 8,615 times
Default Just what we needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff18wife View Post
You might want to check out the Milford/Shohola/Dingman area. This area fits most of your criteria. Good schools, family oriented area, not too far for shopping. Although a trip to Costco is about 1 hr one way down to NJ, not sure if there's another one closer. Pike County was recently hiring for dispatchers as they are on the verge of opening a new fire training/emergency services center. Good luck with whatever decision you make.
Thank you so much! I think we are leaning more towards NEPA because of the simple beauty there. It reminds me of the mountain towns here, and we love shopping and visiting there.

I've been reading about every post on here. Love the activity of the group and my husband and I drooled over the pictures. It looks fantastic! I will check those cities out, and thanks for the job info. Hubby also has been looking at the railroads to see if there are there, and if there are police or train dispatcher positions too.

Thanks again

Old 03-07-2012, 03:18 PM

755 posts, read 2,111,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolomonsMama View Post
Thank you so much! I think we are leaning more towards NEPA because of the simple beauty there. It reminds me of the mountain towns here, and we love shopping and visiting there.

I've been reading about every post on here. Love the activity of the group and my husband and I drooled over the pictures. It looks fantastic! I will check those cities out, and thanks for the job info. Hubby also has been looking at the railroads to see if there are there, and if there are police or train dispatcher positions too.

Thanks again

You're quite welcome!! If you have any more questions, I can gladly try to help you out. Good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania