U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 04:30 AM

14,236 posts, read 7,880,168 times
I completely disagree that we have plenty of parking. Many of the spots you mention are NOT available for public parking or they are taken up by the people who work downtown.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 05-28-2012 at 06:28 AM.. Reason: removed orphaned quote and response

Old 05-24-2012, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa Dutch View Post
Umm, the courthouse isn't 2 blocks from the square. I Guess you can't judge distance....
Not only that but you can't park there if you aren't there for courthouse business.

Old 05-24-2012, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Why is it that in most other major American cities, including my current city of Pittsburgh, people don't balk at walking up to a mile (or even further) to access points of interest from a parking garage whereas in NEPA the thought of walking from a parking garage near Public Square to the River Commons---two blocks away---is preposterous?

I realize that there are some people like theatergypsy who are physically unable to walk an appreciable distance without extreme difficulty. With that being said there are plenty of people in this thread who are decrying a "lack of parking" in Downtown Wilkes-Barre who SHOULD be as able-bodied or nearly as able-bodied as I am, and I NEVER had difficulty finding parking in Downtown W-B when I lived in the area just a few years ago. If I wanted to go to Barnes & Noble, Rodano's, Thai Thai, Cafe Toscana, Cinema 14, the Kirby Center, or any of the other fine Downtown venues I frequented I would always find parking within a few short minutes of searching for it.

You can also do what I currently do here in Pittsburgh to avoid the hassle of paying to park at a meter or in a garage altogether---park in a nearby residential neighborhood that doesn't have permit parking restrictions (The Heights? The Historic District?) and walk from there. While my colleagues at one of my bank branches were paying $12-$15 daily to park in a garage roughly across the street I was paying $0 to walk an extra 12 minutes to my car. Yes. 12 minutes (or roughly saving $1 for each minute walked).

Americans overall are just becoming lazier. I do have sympathy for people like theatergypsy who are no longer "Spring chickens" and can't live that Pollyanna vision of walking everywhere for everything, but I see plenty of "curvy" people in NEPA driving their SUVs from store to store in the Arena Hub Shopping Center or Shoppes at Montage, for example, instead of just parking in one spot and walking from store to store.

I'm not lazy. I'm willing to be I'm in better shape than the majority of the people in the area. However, I've explained NUMEROUS times why walking to the downtown area is not always feasible.

What about the people who live in the Back Mountain or Mountain Top or even Exeter? Are they all supposed to walk to Wilkes-Barre and back?

Old 05-24-2012, 04:55 AM

1,974 posts, read 3,164,452 times
I don't understand the parking complaints. The Ramada parking lot is 2 blocks away...The Boscov's lot is less than 2 blocks, as well as many other lots that already are almost across the street from the River Common if you can find them If that is too far for a person to stroll to the River Common then you'd better be in a wheelchair. Otherwise, you are pretty lazy. Go to any major city and what do you do? You park and walk to everything. There is ample parking now in the area of the River Common, including the empty Sterling Annex lot. I don't see the ample parking bringing out the masses

Last edited by W-B proud; 05-24-2012 at 05:08 AM..

Old 05-24-2012, 05:02 AM

3,975 posts, read 2,700,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoalCityTrash View Post
I just said. In just a 2 block radius of the square, we have the 6 story Conahan Parking structure, the Ramada & Boscovs park & lock, & the park & lock east (each 5 stories), 2 4 story parking structures near Wilkes, 2 4-story parking structures by the theater, a 4 story parking complex by City Hall, 2 5 story parking structures by the courthouse, about 60 ground level parking lots (stack those all on top of each other & you'd have more than 110 floors of parking!), & THOUSANDS of meter spots. Like I said, that's just a 2 block radius.
Speaking of reading, the initial discussion about parking wasn't about how many parking spaces there are in the city, but about the lack of parking in proximity to the RiverCommon, and the lack of attendance at the few events that have been held there.

As for all that parking that you so proudly proclaim, how many spaces are actually available? There are shoppers and workers who are looking for parking every day, and they take up quite a few of those spaces.

In an area with a gray, and getting grayer, population, parking at the places you list is still a prohibitive walk for many of the seniors living here. I, myself, would have little or no difficulty walking from some of those locations to the RiverCommon. But the return trip to my car is another matter. As an old blind moron, I can't see to get back to my car, if I could remember where I parked it.

OMT: I don't see any reason for you to be insulting in these discussions.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 05-28-2012 at 06:32 AM..

Old 05-24-2012, 05:02 AM

1,974 posts, read 3,164,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
LOL The unicorns and dreams in this thread are too funny. The reality is that it will most likely sit empty as a dirt lot for a while. There is no money, there is no REAL need and there is no draw or market for any expenditure of taxpayer monies that would be a WORTH WHILE investment that would show a plus or gain on monies invested by the private sector...Essentially there is NO REASON to build anything there at all...

Reading market idea is an expensive pipe dream that would see little to no significant traffic to warrant that kind of out put of funds by anyone....

Do you guys see the empty, unused and basically abandoned properties all over the downtown's of the city's through out the valley and region?
I know this has zero chance of becoming a reality. It IS a pipe dream, It is an idea that I would like to see happen someday. I'm pretty sure it never will...but stranger things have happened...Lackawanna county was able to steal $ 40 million to invest in a new stadium that has been a proven failure with the worse attendance in the league! that hasn't prevented the state from flushing $40 million of our tax dollars down the drain I'm just saying, whatever becomes of that lot, IT SHOULD NOT BE LEVELED AND MADE INTO AN UGLY PARKING LOT...ESPECIALLY FOR A RIVER COMMON WHERE NO ONE EVEN HOST EVENTS. wHAT IS THE POINT OF A PARKING LOT IF THERE IS NOTHING THERE TO SEE OR DO?

Old 05-24-2012, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Why is it that in most other major American cities, including my current city of Pittsburgh, people don't balk at walking up to a mile (or even further) to access points of interest from a parking garage whereas in NEPA the thought of walking from a parking garage near Public Square to the River Commons---two blocks away---is preposterous?

I realize that there are some people like theatergypsy who are physically unable to walk an appreciable distance without extreme difficulty. With that being said there are plenty of people in this thread who are decrying a "lack of parking" in Downtown Wilkes-Barre who SHOULD be as able-bodied or nearly as able-bodied as I am, and I NEVER had difficulty finding parking in Downtown W-B when I lived in the area just a few years ago. If I wanted to go to Barnes & Noble, Rodano's, Thai Thai, Cafe Toscana, Cinema 14, the Kirby Center, or any of the other fine Downtown venues I frequented I would always find parking within a few short minutes of searching for it.

You can also do what I currently do here in Pittsburgh to avoid the hassle of paying to park at a meter or in a garage altogether---park in a nearby residential neighborhood that doesn't have permit parking restrictions (The Heights? The Historic District?) and walk from there. While my colleagues at one of my bank branches were paying $12-$15 daily to park in a garage roughly across the street I was paying $0 to walk an extra 12 minutes to my car. Yes. 12 minutes (or roughly saving $1 for each minute walked).

Americans overall are just becoming lazier. I do have sympathy for people like theatergypsy who are no longer "Spring chickens" and can't live that Pollyanna vision of walking everywhere for everything, but I see plenty of "curvy" people in NEPA driving their SUVs from store to store in the Arena Hub Shopping Center or Shoppes at Montage, for example, instead of just parking in one spot and walking from store to store.
How ingenious of you! You saved yourself some big-time parking fees while inconveniencing the resident coming home from the late shift at the fire house or the hospital only to find that their on-street parking is being utilized by the "office drones" who don't want to pay to park.

Oh, what's even more impressive is your visual acuity. You live in Da Burgh and can see the Arena Hub Plaza and the Shoppes at Montage.

I love ya, Paul, but sometimes...

Old 05-25-2012, 06:28 PM

210 posts, read 161,107 times
What continues to amaze me, is that for an area purportedly to be poor and few high paying jobs, the shopping plaza's and restaurants always seem to be packed. The shoppes at montage, as well as Dickson city and Wilkes barre twp shopping always seem to be crowded. Must be the outsiders, like me, spending our money.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa Dutch View Post
What continues to amaze me, is that for an area purportedly to be poor and few high paying jobs, the shopping plaza's and restaurants always seem to be packed. The shoppes at montage, as well as Dickson city and Wilkes barre twp shopping always seem to be crowded. Must be the outsiders, like me, spending our money.
mmm...mmmmm....

Old 05-26-2012, 09:02 AM

3,614 posts, read 2,503,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Speaking of reading, the initial discussion about parking wasn't about how many parking spaces there are in the city, but about the lack of parking in proximity to the RiverCommon, and the lack of attendance at the few events that have been held there.

As for all that parking that you so proudly proclaim, how many spaces are actually available? There are shoppers and workers who are looking for parking every day, and they take up quite a few of those spaces.

In an area with a gray, and getting grayer, population, parking at the places you list is still a prohibitive walk for many of the seniors living here. I, myself, would have little or no difficulty walking from some of those locations to the RiverCommon. But the return trip to my car is another matter. As an old blind moron, I can't see to get back to my car, if I could remember where I parked it.

OMT: I don't see any reason for you to be insulting in these discussions.
from a lazydisabled moron(according to some posters)
btw even tho i am not in a wheel chair,i would like to see MORE handicapped spaces

Last edited by toobusytoday; 05-28-2012 at 06:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania