Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 08:27 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post

Well, if you really cared about downtown revitalization, you'd do it TG. Woman up!
You're right, Mags. I feel so ashamed. I'm leaving now. We could meet for lunch - tomorrow!

Old 05-23-2012, 12:03 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,275,124 times
Quote:
Where are those shoppers supposed to park?
If the Reading Market type idea came about on the Sterling Site..the parking garage would be located above the market. the market itself would be the ground level of the parking garage. This would serve as the main parking for the marketplace and as the main parking for the River Common. Problem solved!

Old 05-23-2012, 12:11 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,857 times
LOL The unicorns and dreams in this thread are too funny. The reality is that it will most likely sit empty as a dirt lot for a while. There is no money, there is no REAL need and there is no draw or market for any expenditure of taxpayer monies that would be a WORTH WHILE investment that would show a plus or gain on monies invested by the private sector...Essentially there is NO REASON to build anything there at all...

Reading market idea is an expensive pipe dream that would see little to no significant traffic to warrant that kind of out put of funds by anyone....

Do you guys see the empty, unused and basically abandoned properties all over the downtown's of the city's through out the valley and region?

Old 05-23-2012, 01:28 PM

[quote=weluvpa;24428952]LOL The unicorns and dreams in this thread are too funny. The reality is that it will most likely sit empty as a dirt lot for a while. There is no money, there is no REAL need and there is no draw or market for any expenditure of taxpayer monies that would be a WORTH WHILE investment that would show a plus or gain on monies invested by the private sector...Essentially there is NO REASON to build anything there at all...

Reading market idea is an expensive pipe dream that would see little to no significant traffic to warrant that kind of out put of funds by anyone....

Do you guys see the empty, unused and basically abandoned properties all over the downtown's of the city's through out the valley and region?[/quote]

Actually, no. I'm too busy looking for a parking spot!

Old 05-23-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
If the Reading Market type idea came about on the Sterling Site..the parking garage would be located above the market. the market itself would be the ground level of the parking garage. This would serve as the main parking for the marketplace and as the main parking for the River Common. Problem solved!
I said that very thing in Post #138.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:27 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
lol the unicorns and dreams in this thread are too funny. The reality is that it will most likely sit empty as a dirt lot for a while. There is no money, there is no real need and there is no draw or market for any expenditure of taxpayer monies that would be a worth while investment that would show a plus or gain on monies invested by the private sector...essentially there is no reason to build anything there at all...

do you guys see the empty, unused and basically abandoned properties all over the downtown's of the city's through out the valley and region?
actually, no. I'm too busy looking for a parking spot!:d

lol!

Old 05-23-2012, 08:10 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,234,676 times
I don't see a parking crisis in downtown W-B. It would be nice to have a place to shop for groceries though, without heading out to W-B Twp or Kingston.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:27 PM

144 posts, read 223,224 times
Quote:
Where are those shoppers supposed to park?
I just said. In just a 2 block radius of the square, we have the 6 story Conahan Parking structure, the Ramada & Boscovs park & lock, & the park & lock east (each 5 stories), 2 4 story parking structures near Wilkes, 2 4-story parking structures by the theater, a 4 story parking complex by City Hall, 2 5 story parking structures by the courthouse, about 60 ground level parking lots (stack those all on top of each other & you'd have more than 110 floors of parking!), & THOUSANDS of meter spots. Like I said, that's just a 2 block radius.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 05-28-2012 at 06:31 AM..

Old 05-23-2012, 10:38 PM

210 posts, read 381,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoalCityTrash View Post
I just said. In just a 2 block radius of the square, we have the 6 story Conahan Parking structure, the Ramada & Boscovs park & lock, & the park & lock east (each 5 stories), 2 4 story parking structures near Wilkes, 2 4-story parking structures by the theater, a 4 story parking complex by City Hall, 2 5 story parking structures by the courthouse, about 60 ground level parking lots (stack those all on top of each other & you'd have more than 110 floors of parking!), & THOUSANDS of meter spots. Like I said, that's just a 2 block radius. If you can't find parking downtown,
Umm, the courthouse isn't 2 blocks from the square.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 05-28-2012 at 06:29 AM.. Reason: removed rude comments

Old 05-23-2012, 11:00 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Why is it that in most other major American cities, including my current city of Pittsburgh, people don't balk at walking up to a mile (or even further) to access points of interest from a parking garage whereas in NEPA the thought of walking from a parking garage near Public Square to the River Commons---two blocks away---is preposterous?

I realize that there are some people like theatergypsy who are physically unable to walk an appreciable distance without extreme difficulty. With that being said there are plenty of people in this thread who are decrying a "lack of parking" in Downtown Wilkes-Barre who SHOULD be as able-bodied or nearly as able-bodied as I am, and I NEVER had difficulty finding parking in Downtown W-B when I lived in the area just a few years ago. If I wanted to go to Barnes & Noble, Rodano's, Thai Thai, Cafe Toscana, Cinema 14, the Kirby Center, or any of the other fine Downtown venues I frequented I would always find parking within a few short minutes of searching for it.

You can also do what I currently do here in Pittsburgh to avoid the hassle of paying to park at a meter or in a garage altogether---park in a nearby residential neighborhood that doesn't have permit parking restrictions (The Heights? The Historic District?) and walk from there. While my colleagues at one of my bank branches were paying $12-$15 daily to park in a garage roughly across the street I was paying $0 to walk an extra 12 minutes to my car. Yes. 12 minutes (or roughly saving $1 for each minute walked).

Americans overall are just becoming lazier. I do have sympathy for people like theatergypsy who are no longer "Spring chickens" and can't live that Pollyanna vision of walking everywhere for everything, but I see plenty of "curvy" people in NEPA driving their SUVs from store to store in the Arena Hub Shopping Center or Shoppes at Montage, for example, instead of just parking in one spot and walking from store to store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania