Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 04:58 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside4ever View Post
Todays highest strains have 26%- 28%.. Back in the 60's and 70's the norm was 5%-7% ..

Next year Im planting more corn.. I only did one package . I think next year I'll do 5
Riverside,

If you get a chance; ask your feed store if they carry Penn Fresh ADX. It is a large kernel yellow corn that is very sweet. We grew it very successfully back in the 1970's. However, as the years went by; more varmints learned of our corn patch. That variety will also get that corn fungus in very wet weather.

Here is one link that also mentions problems with cross-pollination: SWEET CORN

PS Are others also starting to pick tomatoes? This just seems very early for our area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 06:38 PM

2,362 posts, read 5,139,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Let's stick to vegetable gardening and leave the weed legalization topic to another forum please ....

Does it have to be vegetable Gardening ? Or can we talk about growing Fruit too.......

The OP is whats in your garden.... So if its in a garden and it grows its fair game....

Sheesh .....

Old 07-09-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Riverside,

If you get a chance; ask your feed store if they carry Penn Fresh ADX. It is a large kernel yellow corn that is very sweet. We grew it very successfully back in the 1970's. However, as the years went by; more varmints learned of our corn patch. That variety will also get that corn fungus in very wet weather.

Here is one link that also mentions problems with cross-pollination: SWEET CORN

PS Are others also starting to pick tomatoes? This just seems very early for our area.
I bought the corn I got in wally world .. the pumpkin seeds were from pumpkins we got last year

Old 07-09-2012, 11:00 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,234,073 times
Tomatoes, zucchini, cucumber, radishes, and a bunch of herbs.Sage, dill, and some other stuff.

I don't take care of the herbs.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Tomatoes, zucchini, cucumber, radishes, and a bunch of herbs.Sage, dill, and some other stuff.

I don't take care of the herbs.
Are your tomatoes coming in early this year? It sounds like a great garden.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:31 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,234,073 times
Quote:
Are your tomatoes coming in early this year? It sounds like a great garden.
For city living we do pretty good.

My tomatoes are better than last year - but that's not saying much. They were mealy and pale last year.
My wife used them in cooking.

This year they are OK. How about you?

Old 07-11-2012, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
For city living we do pretty good.

My tomatoes are better than last year - but that's not saying much. They were mealy and pale last year.
My wife used them in cooking.

This year they are OK. How about you?
So far just our cherry tomatoes are in. But they do taste great. That is; the ones I get to eat. The problem is that my wife has her babies. Our sixteen ducks also love tomatoes and she loves to reward them. The same thing happens with my lettuce!
How do you like duck?

Old 07-11-2012, 07:44 AM

I LOVE DUCK and have a deep fryer too ...MMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmm I love em extra crispy ....

I buy my tomatoes in the store as mine always get the blight .. never any great success up here .( Back in the city our yard was full of em )

I'll be giving away pumpkins this year .. FOR SURE . I have over 200 of them starting to grow already ///
My corn is about 2' tall ,

Old 07-11-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside4ever View Post
I LOVE DUCK and have a deep fryer too ...MMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmm I love em extra crispy ....

I buy my tomatoes in the store as mine always get the blight .. never any great success up here .( Back in the city our yard was full of em )

I'll be giving away pumpkins this year .. FOR SURE . I have over 200 of them starting to grow already ///
My corn is about 2' tall ,
I would not mind trying duck out of your deep fryer – I would get more tomatoes that way. Unfortunately my wife would be after both of us with the 12 gauge!

By the way; my garden and property desperately need rain. I have a small pond that is dry. That is early in the year to have it go dry. Many years it never goes dry. It is about five feet deep – but not very large.

Where I sit in Swiftwater the rain misses us. The clouds usually split and go north to Mount Pocono or south and down through Tannersville.

How have you managed with rain this year? With two hundred pumpkins you have to be doing better than us.

PS The old saying was always that your corn should be knee high by the Fourth of July.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
I would not mind trying duck out of your deep fryer – I would get more tomatoes that way. Unfortunately my wife would be after both of us with the 12 gauge!

By the way; my garden and property desperately need rain. I have a small pond that is dry. That is early in the year to have it go dry. Many years it never goes dry. It is about five feet deep – but not very large.

Where I sit in Swiftwater the rain misses us. The clouds usually split and go north to Mount Pocono or south and down through Tannersville.

How have you managed with rain this year? With two hundred pumpkins you have to be doing better than us.

PS The old saying was always that your corn should be knee high by the Fourth of July.

Well then Im ok .. They are about knee high .. We have gotten some rain lately .. No complaints here ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania