Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 01:07 PM

539 posts, read 1,068,787 times

Advertisements

We have a really small plot in our city back yard, as a we have a 4 car garage and most of the rear is paved. But I did dig up the small grassy area (about 6' x 18') and planted tomatoes (8 plants of the large kind and 2 cherry tomato plants in topsy-turvy containers), as well as some kuri squash, peppers, cucumbers, and scallions. I started on memorial day weekend, and now the tomato plants are almost waist high. The squash leaves are huge, almost like elephant ears and have been flowering for a week now, as well as the cucumbers. We only have 1 pepper that grew out of 3 plants, but it's almost full size, and the scallions are very slow growing but appear fairly healthy. Due to the lack of rain, I've had to water everything each evening. We also have a garden strip along the side of the house coming up the driveway for about 12', but that's all just flowering bushes except for a fig tree (large bush). Last year the cold winter killed all the branches so it had to restart from the ground up, but this year it's really filled out and we may get a few hundred figs from it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 02:01 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,137,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank754 View Post
We have a really small plot in our city back yard, as a we have a 4 car garage and most of the rear is paved. But I did dig up the small grassy area (about 6' x 18') and planted tomatoes (8 plants of the large kind and 2 cherry tomato plants in topsy-turvy containers), as well as some kuri squash, peppers, cucumbers, and scallions. I started on memorial day weekend, and now the tomato plants are almost waist high. The squash leaves are huge, almost like elephant ears and have been flowering for a week now, as well as the cucumbers. We only have 1 pepper that grew out of 3 plants, but it's almost full size, and the scallions are very slow growing but appear fairly healthy. Due to the lack of rain, I've had to water everything each evening. We also have a garden strip along the side of the house coming up the driveway for about 12', but that's all just flowering bushes except for a fig tree (large bush). Last year the cold winter killed all the branches so it had to restart from the ground up, but this year it's really filled out and we may get a few hundred figs from it.
I had a grandmother in Norfolk that had a wonderful large fig tree. I used to love to eat the figs right off her tree. I always figured that our winters were too cold for figs? Possibly you are warmer in the city?

Old 07-11-2012, 03:12 PM

It's not really a tree (maybe it gets that large in its native area) but more of a bush with thick twigs. The first year we got a bunch of figs, but last year it got so cold the branches died off, sort of like a snowball bush does, and it restarted new stalks from the ground. The old ones were all dead from the cold weather. This year, having had a mild winter, all the stalks & branches did well and sprouted new leaves and figs, so it should be a bumper crop. You pick them when they get soft and have a purplish blush, but I found out that it's best not to eat them off the bush, they are kind of pithy at first. But if you pick them and wait until the next day they get a lot sweeter, almost apricot-taste. A few of the people here were Lebanese & Syrian, so they planted it years ago and gave away a few cuttings so neighbors could start a new plant.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:27 PM

The fig tree I remember was fifteen or twenty feet tall. Of course I was a little shorter than I am now! I definitely remember it as a tree and not a bush. Maybe there are some that are bushes and some that are trees?

Anyway; I'm glad that you are enjoying the fruits of your labor.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:56 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,234,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside4ever View Post
I LOVE DUCK and have a deep fryer too ...MMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmm I love em extra crispy ....

I buy my tomatoes in the store as mine always get the blight .. never any great success up here .( Back in the city our yard was full of em )

I'll be giving away pumpkins this year .. FOR SURE . I have over 200 of them starting to grow already ///
My corn is about 2' tall ,
Never tried pumpkins. Not much land here in the city.

But if you have any extra pumpkins, let me know! My wife makes pumpkin pie, pumpkin soup, and pumpkin souffle.

She's also a freak about Halloween and Jack o'lanterns.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:57 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,139,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Never tried pumpkins. Not much land here in the city.

But if you have any extra pumpkins, let me know! My wife makes pumpkin pie, pumpkin soup, and pumpkin souffle.

She's also a freak about Halloween and Jack o'lanterns.

Im sure I'll have extra ,, I'll post that at the harvest ,,, Stay tuned ,, As long as you pick em up I dont have a problem.. I dont deliver ,,

Old 07-29-2012, 03:13 PM

I finally got around to taking a few pictures of my garden, it's doing well so far, and in such a small space. In spite of the rain we got a good 20 juicy cucumbers so far, and the rest of it is coming along. We'll have a lot of tomatoes when they ripen, and some good sized kuri squash, a few peppers and scallions as well.

Frank's Photography Site - "City Garden"

Old 07-29-2012, 06:23 PM

452 posts, read 681,958 times
My ex-wife. She was so full of you know what, it's the best harvest I had in years.

Old 07-30-2012, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank754 View Post
I finally got around to taking a few pictures of my garden, it's doing well so far, and in such a small space. In spite of the rain we got a good 20 juicy cucumbers so far, and the rest of it is coming along. We'll have a lot of tomatoes when they ripen, and some good sized kuri squash, a few peppers and scallions as well.

Frank's Photography Site - "City Garden"
You did a great job with a small space!

I have a large space – but I can only plant if I lock it up. There are just too many free loaders (deer, squirrels, etc.). At least in town you don't have to worry about the pest.

Old 07-30-2012, 04:57 PM

2,362 posts, read 5,139,671 times
Great job... Ive been so busy Ive been neglecting my garden ... Lots of blossoms .. corn looks ok as im pulling out to go to work.. I'll get some pics this week..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania