U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 11:58 AM

104 posts, read 148,242 times
Default Public dump or landfill in Pike County?

Not quite sure where to look or who to ask, but I'm in need of a public dump or landfill to take some stuff like old mattresses, box springs, and window blinds to discard. I've done the prerequisite google searches, etc without much success. Anyone here know where to go? I'd rather just dump this stuff myself without having to call a disposal company to come out with a dumpster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 03:54 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,567,411 times
Nearest one I know of anywhere in that area is Waste management in Pen Argyl..

Old 04-07-2012, 02:55 PM

4,493 posts, read 3,157,106 times
Instead of a dump; look for a transfer station. We have one or two in Monroe County. Perhaps somebody knows of one in Pike? You can take just about anything to a transfer station that you would take to a dump.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:18 PM

210 posts, read 175,715 times
Not sure if it is closer to you than Pen Argyl, but you can take trash to municipal waste in Wilkes barre.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:21 PM

925 posts, read 725,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Instead of a dump; look for a transfer station. We have one or two in Monroe County. Perhaps somebody knows of one in Pike? You can take just about anything to a transfer station that you would take to a dump.
Where in Monroe County are these wonders? Last time I had stuff to dump I took it to Pen Argyl, Waste Management, and it cost something like $25 -- would love a closer alternative...

Old 04-09-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingouttahere View Post
Where in Monroe County are these wonders? Last time I had stuff to dump I took it to Pen Argyl, Waste Management, and it cost something like $25 -- would love a closer alternative...
If you go west of the Wal-Mart, on Route 940 in Mount Pocono, to Long Pond Road. Then turn left and go to the first stop light (Sullivan Trail). Then make a right and go about a quarter mile past the PM school entrance. You will see the facility on your right. It looks just like a large dirt road - but you can see the compactor as you look back.

You might ask them if there are other locations in the county. I forget the name of the operation - it has changed hands several times. They also have recycling containers. I have used them for several years.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:46 AM

30 posts, read 22,537 times
Try Beach Lake Transfer which is located in Beach Lake just outside of Honesdale in Wayne County.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:57 AM

556 posts, read 402,705 times
On the same wavelength, I was wondering where in either Pike or Monroe could I deposit used oil from my oil changes. I am going to start doing my own oil changes on my car.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
On the same wavelength, I was wondering where in either Pike or Monroe could I deposit used oil from my oil changes. I am going to start doing my own oil changes on my car.
I would suggest calling your local auto repair shops. There are some garages that have used oil heating systems and (I think) some might collect it to sell for recovery. Probably, even if you called one that did not accept used oil, they could still point you in the right direction.

Maybe you could even find one of those individuals that reprocess used French Fry oil for their diesel powered vehicles?

Old 04-13-2012, 07:53 AM

556 posts, read 402,705 times
I called Jiffy Lube in Stroudsburg. They said they will take it anytime. Thanks for the info, though. I might try to call service stations that are closer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania