U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 06:53 PM

20 posts, read 10,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
You are very welcome Chris! It is totally possible to find employment here and your friend is well prepared to work in several fields, considering his training and skill set.

My brother and his fiance are visiting from Little Rock AR (via NY) and they are both thinking about moving here. They are both professionals (Social Workers) and have been sending their resumes out, while checking out all that NE PA has to offer.

My brother wants to live closer to family, particularly my son who is his God son, and his fiancee has really never lived anywhere but Arkansas, and is ripe for a change.

A few comments from the Arkansans -

1. "Wages here are much better than Arkansas!"

2. " So many jobs have comprehensive benefits!"

3. "I'm glad PA is not a Right to Work State."

4. "There are so many colleges and Universities around here!" (Not only for attending, - they do both want advanced degrees in their fields) but also as places of employment, admissions counselors, health centers etc.

5. "The cost of living here is so low!" This was said about everything from food and clothes to Historic District apartments - similar ones in Little Rock are twice the price, The Elevations Lofts in Downtown Wilkes - Barre, and homes in Wilkes-Barre, Forty Fort and Kingston.

6. and my favorites "You have such a neat little city!" and "Ya'll have some beautiful state parks!" There's always something to do here!"

My other observation is that they are willing to drive up to an hour EACH WAY for work. So were we. Never thought that Little Rock AR and the NYC metro area would have that much in common, but folkes in both places ( as well as Atlanta, where the two also have friends and relatives) are not shy about traveling over an hour to work!

We felt the same way. Owing to the geography of Long Island, people there travel up to 70 miles a day - one way! My husband did that for years when we lived in Eastern Long Island and his salary West, towards NYC where wages are higher. He did that for seven years!

My guests and future NE PA residents are looking at jobs as far away as Bloomsburg, Scranton, THe Poconos, Hazelton - really anything.

It is ideal to have a job close to home, but when you can't you take what's there.

Probably the sweetest compliment came from my sister -in-law to be, in her sweet Southern drawl " This area is so beautiful - I love the mountains, lakes, Rivers and parks!
I never thought I'd see a state as naturally beautiful as Arkansas!"
That's great to hear Sheena, I wish them the best of luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
Sheena,
I am sure you have already told your Arkansas friends about the civil service jobs. I am sure in the social work field they can find something in Lackawanna, Luzerne or surrounding counties. Maybe even in a hospital setting which would be the best bet.

To the OP, the IT field is tough. I don't think many companies in NEPA want to pay the prevailing NYC/North Jersey wage. You have to be innovative to find a company that will. Perseverance, my friend.

Now speaking of perseverance, I snagged the gig!! Took me 3 years to get a gig in NEPA. No more schleppin' to Manhattan.
Yep he is trying very hard and will keep on trying until he finds something, he doesn't have high expectations just something that pays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 08:17 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,064,889 times
[quote=quiet life;24157428]Sheena,
I am sure you have already told your Arkansas friends about the civil service jobs. I am sure in the social work field they can find something in Lackawanna, Luzerne or surrounding counties. Maybe even in a hospital setting which would be the best bet.

To the OP, the IT field is tough. I don't think many companies in NEPA want to pay the prevailing NYC/North Jersey wage. You have to be innovative to find a company that will. Perseverance, my friend

Best of luck in your new job!

Old 05-06-2012, 05:57 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,203,015 times
Congrats, QuietLife...hopefully I can say the same someday...

Old 05-06-2012, 07:56 AM

556 posts, read 403,938 times
Thanks, one and all. My wife found a gig up here after only a year up here. She is making much less than her manhattan salary but I can tell her mental well being is so much better. Plus she doesn't have to deal with the schlep, upfront cash to commute, etc. It is working out for her. I am glad to finally be able to join her with a PA employer. I can kiss Manhattan and Martz goodbye

Old 05-06-2012, 08:10 AM

Any chances for an ol' I/T guy?? Hehehehe...

Old 05-06-2012, 08:27 AM

556 posts, read 403,938 times
I wish I could spread the wealth. I am an Architect. Diff. field altogether. Not licensed yet. That's been my dilemma with some employers everywhere. Not just NEPA. I have the experience so that helped me. I interviewed with a few firms in NEPA and they just didn't want to pony up. In your case(same as mine) the right project has to come along where the budget includes your cushy salary in NJ you have.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
In your case(same as mine) the right project has to come along where the budget includes your cushy salary in NJ you have.
That'll never happen!!

Old 05-08-2012, 10:00 AM

11,787 posts, read 8,722,444 times
Try PPL, and other companies with Headquarters or offices in Allentown and the Lehigh Valley. Also, he could look into jobs in IT or Information Security at all the colleges and universities.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:12 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,106,298 times
If he is an IT Architect type (certified or nearly so) and willing to be based here, but travel, PM me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania