U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-30-2012, 11:12 AM

1,447 posts, read 950,904 times

Advertisements

The four school disctricts in Monroe County are all either closing school buildings or are planning to vote on closing school buildings. Does anyone have specific info on which schools are closing?

I live in the East Stroudsburg district, and the rumor is Smithfield Elementary is closing but they are keeping JM Hill Elementary open. But I've also heard they are not going to close any schools!

It would be great to know some facts instead of just rumors and wishful thinking!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 11:56 AM

4,736 posts, read 3,502,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
The four school disctricts in Monroe County are all either closing school buildings or are planning to vote on closing school buildings. Does anyone have specific info on which schools are closing?

I live in the East Stroudsburg district, and the rumor is Smithfield Elementary is closing but they are keeping JM Hill Elementary open. But I've also heard they are not going to close any schools!

It would be great to know some facts instead of just rumors and wishful thinking!
Here is a link to a Pocono Record article: http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=NEWS0968 I do not see any mention of possible school closings for East Stroudsburg. Pocono Mountain is the district that is talking about shutting down three buildings.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:44 AM

So far PV is closing Chestnuthill Elementary, and PM is considering closures.

Eastburg as far as I know is still weighing the option of closing one of two elementary schools. Stroudsburg decided not to close Ramsey Elementary - for this year.

From what I know, the Eastburg decision will be made sometime in early June. I just wondered if anyone had inside info that has not been printed in the Pocono Record.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:53 AM

557 posts, read 437,343 times
Don't quote me but in Eastburg it was btw JM Hill Elementary or Smithfield Elementary for closings. Or both. I think that is still an ongoing battle. They decided to charge for Driver's ed in high schools in the district. More cost cuts and charging for certain activities are on the plate as well.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:00 AM

Yes, the choice in Eastburg is definitely between JM Hill and Smithfield but probably not both. I'd say there's more of a chance of keeping both open than closing both.

Pocono Record also reported the other day a proposed $100.00 activity fee per child in Eastburg. Not sure if that covers all activities (baseball, plus football, etc) or $100 per activity. But they did say "no discount" for families with mutliple children.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:30 AM

With all this cost cutting and charging for activities, will my school tax stay the same or get lowered? Man, that is wishful thinking

Old 05-04-2012, 03:40 PM

Wishful thinking indeed. Your tax will only go up $400 instead of $600 but then add $200 for activity fees.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:14 AM

Well, my fantasy for a tax decrease was just that. A fantasy They are proposing a tax increase of 2.3%. $100 activity fee for any child participating in an activity from grades 7-12. This would be due in August if the budget passes. ANY child no matter the parents financial situation. My interpretation on that is if you have a little Mark McGuire, Michael Jordan, etc., tough cookies if you are strapped for cash. Your little superstar will never see the playing field $150 if your child is interested in behind the wheel driver's education. Wow!! Eastburg SD will vote on the matter June 4. Final budget must be adopted by June 30.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:23 AM

They should have booster clubs that would help a truly needy kid ponly up the hundred bucks.

The South football coach pointed out the difficult position this would put coaches in, when people are paying $100 and their kid is not playing. However, if your kid had ever played Little League or any other rec sport, you know that certain kids get lots of playing time and others don't, yet everyone pays a fee. When kids get to high school they are going out for a team because they want to, not because Mommy signed them up. Sitting on the bench is part of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania