U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-18-2007, 12:52 PM

96 posts, read 380,671 times
Default City of Nanticoke Photo Tour

So, since there were so many requests, here it is! Please excuse my crappy photo taking skills. Not just photos of the nice ones here, I tried to give a pretty realistic view of the city. Small houses, large, good condition, bad, old new. Also got some photos of some of the "problem spots" of the city :lol: Well here we go.--

Coming into West Nanticoke on route 11, heading to the bridge (route 29).

Exiting 29 onto E. Main St, Hanover first then Nanticoke

Rear of E, Main St

E. Main St

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p136/jeffhenderson90/P0004830.jpg (broken link)
Patriots square park

There are narrow alleys like this all over Nanticoke. Hardly room for 1 car!

These alleys are how most people get to the rear of their house, and there are many parking spots and garages back there as well

The Saab!

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p136/jeffhenderson90/P0004863.jpg (broken link)
Some roads.... condition could be better!

Nice views like this, all over the city.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p136/jeffhenderson90/P0004887.jpg (broken link)

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p136/jeffhenderson90/P0004891.jpg (broken link)

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p136/jeffhenderson90/P0004895.jpg (broken link)

Some Main St. Businesses. They are still there, but there is plenty of available space as well.

heading back to Plymouth

so I hope this tour gave you all some idea of what Nanticoke is like, good and bad. Check it out sometime if you are in the area.

Last edited by DeLorean; 09-18-2007 at 01:04 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 01:50 PM

26,022 posts, read 45,001,394 times
Wow! Great job, DeLorean, on the pics! Nanticoke is a city that has piqued my curiosity as of late. Living up here in Pittston, we don't have much of a reason to visit your fair city (and vice-versa), but I've been closely-following the latest announcements regarding the expansion of Luzerne County Community College into Downtown Nanticoke and what potential impacts that might have on revitalizing the downtown area. A professor of mine just moved to Nanticoke last year from Illinois with his wife and baby daughter, and they seem to be adjusting rather well.

Nanticoke is a very hilly city, which you can tell from the photographs. If there was one pressing gripe I had about the city though, I'd want to know why there are so many intersections with only two-way or even three-way stop signs. When people feel the need to park on the sidewalks (hence obstructing the view from traffic pulling out from side streets), it is downright dangerous to not have four-way stop signs at most of the intersections in town. I can still recall my last visit to Nanticoke when I was almost side-swiped by a Buick because the driver likely had trouble seeing my car approaching the intersection (I had the right-of-way) due to ignorant residents who don't utilize rear alleyway parking and instead obstruct the line-of-sight of drivers.

Nanticoke, Pittston, Plymouth, Edwardsville, and Carbondale are probably all tied for having the most depressing downtown business districts in the region. While Scranton and Wilkes-Barre are each starting to undergo their own downtown renaissances, cities like Nanticoke remain "in the dust." There is some hope on the horizon though. New students attending classes in the city's downtown will create a demand for more restaurants, billiards halls, bars, convenience stores, etc. and will hopefully help to reinvigorate the downtown. My former department manager at Lowe's is also opening a new restaurant in Nanticoke very soon, and I'll let the forum know my impressions of the place, which she says will specialize in seafood and will have a rustic, country flair.

Since Nanticoke was on my "to-do" list, I'd personally like to thank you for taking care of it for me. If the higher-ups ever see it fit to make me a moderator, my top priority is going to be to give my "Photo Tour" sticky a complete overhaul to have better titles, an easier-to-use layout, improved captions, and, most importantly, I'll be adding your tour of Nanticoke, Greentown's tours, mathjak's photos, etc. to the list. I've received feedback from dozens (if not hundreds) of people via replies, e-mails, AIM conversations, and/or direct messages telling me just how invaluable these tours are in helping them to visualize a community before they actually visit it, and my one photo tour of Scranton's Hill Section even prompted one member to purchase a home there (he's now already selling it for twice the price he paid for it, which saddens me, but I digress).

Kudos to your driving abilities too---I know from experience it's not easy to snap photos while driving, yet you seem to have mastered this skill!

Old 09-18-2007, 10:52 PM

Totaly agree about the stop signs... 3 way stops should not exist, not to mention 4 way stops. If there is a stop sign, it should be a REAL stop sign. a bunch of 4 way stops in a situation where there is a 2 way stop interspersed in the mix somewhere make for a very hazardous situation. When I was over in Sweden a few months ago, they did not use stop signs at all... yet it all seemed to work out, so figure that. Every intersection if there is no yield sign it is assumed is a 4 way yield. makes sense I guess but I don't see that working too well in the US...

Photos while driving was no problem, just got to keep on top of things. I am a pretty good multitask-driver, but I have a lot of practice not something most people can handle from what I have seen of your average cell-phone driver who's got 90% concentration on the celly, and 10% on the road...

Old 09-23-2007, 11:14 AM

103 posts, read 232,118 times
Default Nanticoke pictures

DeLorean,
Great Pics of Nanticoke! The best I ever saw. I am originally from Nanticoke and now am homesick. Spent 40 years of my life there. Now live in Mountaintop and HATE it. Everyone there is sooo unfriendly. Would love to know who you are. You might of been a neighbor of mine!

Old 09-23-2007, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
DeLorean,
Great Pics of Nanticoke! The best I ever saw. I am originally from Nanticoke and now am homesick. Spent 40 years of my life there. Now live in Mountaintop and HATE it. Everyone there is sooo unfriendly. Would love to know who you are. You might of been a neighbor of mine!
You probably don't know me, as I am a fairly recent resident. Did you ever live on E-main St or the alley? I know quite a few people around there. I moved here from the Philadelphia area. I was attracted by the low property values, excellent potential for re-development, and the general niceness of the area. My place is on E. Main St, still undergoing rehabilitation. 2 of my neighbors have pretty much kicked my ass in terms of their home improvements, but the 1 is a contractor and works about 2X as fast as me, so that pretty much does not count. It seems that all over the city there is a pretty good effort going on at fixing houses up and bringing things back to life. I'm betting once LCCC moves into the Kanjorski center, things could get interesting!

Old 09-24-2007, 06:04 PM

13,306 posts, read 13,259,581 times
I am so delighted to see your wonderful pictures.
I have never been to Nanticoke, but have heard the name often.
It is so nice to put a scene behind something someone says ,or you read, that is why this is such a help.
I love looking at the mountain backdrop. That is what we have in the NEPA area that
is awe-inspiring sometimes.
Looks like living two types of living there. In town a bit more crowded, or outside of town a bit more spacious. So to each his own, I imagine.
Thanks for the wonderful job. I know it is time consuming, but its worth it when you finally get them onto the site of C-Data.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:59 PM

330 posts, read 1,103,497 times
Egad, you caught Grandma's house in one of your shots!

Pretty good overview of the town.

Old 02-14-2008, 06:49 PM

177 posts, read 415,588 times
You should have deeper gone into concrete City. Is the Kress building still in existence?

Old 02-14-2008, 06:57 PM

2,322 posts, read 3,379,750 times
Default nice pictures

very nice job on the photo shoothttp://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh316/coartist88/cop.gif (broken link)
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh316/coartist88/toot.gif (broken link)

Old 02-17-2008, 01:36 PM

103 posts, read 232,118 times
Delorean,
I lived on E. Washington ST. and E. Grove St. In 2000 I found a hand grenade in my moms house after she died on Grove. Had to call 911. The whole town was there! Really shook up the old neighborhood that day.
You really got the whole town in those pics. Saw the 400 Club where my father belonged.
Nanticoke was a great city to grow up in especially where I lived, across from the cemetaries. I graduated from Nanticoke in 1970. My maiden name was Theresa Yankoski. If anyone remembers me I would love to hear from you. I still go to Nanticoke to visit families graves there and take my dog to the vet. Nanticoke will always be home to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania