Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 07:57 AM

33 posts, read 37,228 times

Advertisements

Most private schools market themselves as providing "small classes" and "individual attention." That is appealing to a lot of people, and something you just won't get at a place like Bloom or LCCC. It is also something you have to pay a little extra for. Considering the state cuts to higher ed. and the tuition discounts given by privates colleges, privates are not a bad deal at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 08:53 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
As you can see here College Navigator - King's College 86% of the students at Kings get financial aid in the form of grants and the avg. amount is $13,589.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:34 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,820,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackMtnMan View Post
Most private schools market themselves as providing "small classes" and "individual attention." That is appealing to a lot of people, and something you just won't get at a place like Bloom or LCCC. .
Huh? Schools like Bloom, ESU, Kutztown, Mansfield etc, all have about the same student population as the University of Scranton or Wilkes. Classes at the state system schools are every bit as small with individual attention as the local private colleges. Unless you're talking about PSU University Park, which isn't a true state university, although it does get a state endowment, and while more expensive than the state system schools, is still a bargain next to private schools, and offers more in the way of majors. A relatively cheap option is to go to a local PSU campus like Worthington and living at home, but the offering of bachelors degrees at the local campuses is limited (but growing).

Old 05-09-2012, 01:22 PM

From Bloom's website: » Student/Faculty Ratio: 22/1
» Median Class Size of Lectures: 33

From Miseri's website

Student/Faculty Ratio: 12:1
Average undergraduate class size is 19 student

From Wilkes website

15:1 student:faculty ratio.
Our average class sizes are freshmen classes, 24 students; upper-level classes, 16 student

Pesky facts!

Old 05-09-2012, 01:26 PM

Bloom's enrollment is something like 9,500; Wilkes is about 2,000; Miseri is less than that.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:36 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
As you can see here College Navigator - King's College 86% of the students at Kings get financial aid in the form of grants and the avg. amount is $13,589.

That's very encouraging!

Old 05-10-2012, 07:12 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,820,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackMtnMan View Post
From Bloom's website: » Student/Faculty Ratio: 22/1
» Median Class Size of Lectures: 33

From Miseri's website

Student/Faculty Ratio: 12:1
Average undergraduate class size is 19 student

From Wilkes website

15:1 student:faculty ratio.
Our average class sizes are freshmen classes, 24 students; upper-level classes, 16 student

Pesky facts!
I attended Bloom for a while, other than a general elective psychology class with about 100 students, I rarely had a class with more than 20-25 students. I finished at PSU Worthington, and never had a class with more than 25 students. Upper level courses for my major usually had 15-20 students.

Despite the difference in student enrollment, Bloom, ESU, Wilkes, U of S, are all in the same RANGE of student population. We're not comparing the local private school enrollment to PSU main campus with 40,000+ students.

When I was at Bloom in the 90s, the enrollment was in the 7,500 range. The U of S is around 6,000. Not much difference really.

Last edited by Mr Yuk; 05-10-2012 at 08:07 AM..

Old 05-10-2012, 07:38 AM

I will only say that I do not find your individual experience in college in the 90s as compelling an argument as the actual numbers. I would also point out that you are comparing Bloom 20 years ago(!) to Scranton, which is by far the largest private school in the area (it is also the only one with some name cache).

If you got what you wanted out of PSU Scranton then good for you. But that is not what everyone wants.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:24 PM

865 posts, read 1,488,889 times
I graduated from King's in the late 90's...my tuition was around $13K prior to reiving my financial aid package and scholarship. With the aid it brought the sticker price down quite a bit, with having to finance only $18K for my entire schooling. They gave quite a considerable financial aid package compared to the state schools, which is one of the reasons why I picked King's. It's a shame that they will not be offering as much aid, then again, I have no idea why the tuition more than doubled since I went there???

Old 05-12-2012, 11:29 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Very few people pay sticker price at private colleges. My two older kids college costs were just a bit more then PSU in-state costs.
This is true. There are also less expensive colleges and universities than those that seem handy or familiar. You really need to plan and work hard.

Your local private college is most likely not the best deal, or the best education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania