Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 09:25 PM
M-Y M-Y started this thread

10 posts, read 30,306 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are relocating to PA and need information about some neighborhoods.

How is the East Stroudsburg University and vicintiy? How is the area between the John Konawalik Field and Dansbury Park? Is it nice and safe? It looks like we can get onto I-80 very quickly from this neighborhood.

We are very confused about the big variation on taxes (below $2000 to over $6000) there when considering a house. Can someone kindly explain to us how is it decided and how often is it re-evaluated? When it is re-evaluated, how much increase can be expected?

We will be homeschooling our children. So we want to find a house with low taxes.

Thank you.

M-Y
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 06:21 PM

34 posts, read 130,569 times
I'm applying for a position at the university there and know very little about the area. I see from real estate sites that prices a bit high (compared to Texas). Are there areas within a 15-minute commute to campus that would be affordable and fairly nice? I'm guessing I could afford up to $175,000 or so (?). Even a nice condo would do.

Thanks.

Old 12-01-2007, 07:11 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,936,722 times
My brother lives right around the corner from ESU on Analomink Street (on the same block as the recent fatal fire). He enjoys living there and I've visited him many times.

I believe it is a nice area to live in, with a few "stipulations" if you will. It can be very loud and full of traffic when things are busy at the college. There are some very loud and boistrous tenants (mainly college students) in these neighborhoods, so check out any prospective housing carefully. My brother enjoys living there, but he's young and single. I could live in the same neighborhood with my family, just a bit further up the road from the college. I'd definitely check out the neighborhood carefully to see where the "loud" houses are before moving in.

As far as the taxes and housing costs, those can vary widely. There are older homes which would be cheaper and have much more reasonable taxes, but those may also require lots of work or be in less desirable neighborhoods. The more owner-occupied housing you can live near, the better. The newer/new housing will have the higher assessed values and higher taxes. In my opinion, the taxes in that area will continue to skyrocket. The schools are massively overcrowded and more building will need to be done.

Hope this helps!

Old 12-01-2007, 08:17 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,111,043 times
Check out the Pocono Mountain Relocation Guide Pocono Relocation Guide
East Stroudsburg is in Monroe Country. The commute from surrounding areas isn't that bad to the university, if you don't want to live close to it. The hospital is on the same street. Dansbury Park is very nice, and the Pocono's is a very nice place to live. No condos in the area. Mostly Older houses near the university, but new construction is available in surrounding areas with not too bad a commute. I can suggest real estate agents or builders if need be - but check out the Stroudsburg & the Poconos PA news, sports, schools, entertainment, and shopping | poconorecord.com - The Pocono Record
for listings in the East Stroudsburg, Stroudsburg area to start with.

Old 12-02-2007, 04:41 PM

Thanks Karen_s and Poconoproud for the very useful information. This gives me a good start. I think East Stroudsburg may be a tad on the expensive side, but still do-able on a professor's modest salary if I were to look around carefully. I get the impression the area has a lot of people who commute to NYC and/or its NJ suburbs. Perhaps that's why the housing prices are above the state's average price(??)

I also wonder about how the area is for single professional people like me. Would there be a good opportunity to form a social/friendship circle among people older than the students? Or is the town mostly family-oriented or suburban in character? I'm not sure if I'm stating this clearly. . . .Some places in the US (such as Laredo where I am now) tend to be weary of "outsiders" and are mostly married people with families, while other areas (NYC, northern California, etc.) are full of single professionals and people from lots of different places. I'm just wondering if East Stroudsburg tends toward one version or the other, or is something in between.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:37 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,111,043 times
I'd say something in between, and usually the only ones weary of outsiders are the most local of locals. Yes about the housing prices, thus the foreclosure mess around here.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:47 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo2007 View Post
Thanks Karen_s and Poconoproud for the very useful information. This gives me a good start. I think East Stroudsburg may be a tad on the expensive side, but still do-able on a professor's modest salary if I were to look around carefully. I get the impression the area has a lot of people who commute to NYC and/or its NJ suburbs. Perhaps that's why the housing prices are above the state's average price(??)
You nailed it on the head. I think I read somewhere that there are now more people living in Monroe County that are originally from NY or NJ than are originally from PA. Thousands of people commute daily from East Stroudsburg and its surrounding communities to NY or NJ for work. They earn relatively-high salaries in those areas and were able to buy large, expensive homes here in PA, which drove up the cost of real estate. I personally couldn't fathom driving 1-2 hours each way to work on a daily basis, but more power to those who do I suppose. Monroe County used to be "cheap." Now the cost-of-living there is rising substantially in relation to its growth rate (2nd-highest out of PA's 67 counties). As more new transplants move in, more new schools are needed, which equates to higher school taxes to pay for them. Similarly, higher taxes are needed to hire more police officers, transition volunteer fire departments to paid full-time ones, increase garbage/recycling collection, etc. In a sense those flocking to Monroe County from Greater NYC are essentially shooting themselves in the foot---they can't afford to buy a home nearer to NYC, so they instead move to Monroe County where they can barely afford to live and then struggle as taxes rise (hence why there are so many foreclosures in the county). I still think Monroe County is a great place to live, but it is by no means the "bargain" it used to be. Anyone who thinks it is "cheap" is obviously moving here from NYC, which is I believe right up there with San Francisco for being the nation's most expensive city. Of course anything seems "cheap" compared to that.

Quote:
I also wonder about how the area is for single professional people like me. Would there be a good opportunity to form a social/friendship circle among people older than the students? Or is the town mostly family-oriented or suburban in character? I'm not sure if I'm stating this clearly. . . .Some places in the US (such as Laredo where I am now) tend to be weary of "outsiders" and are mostly married people with families, while other areas (NYC, northern California, etc.) are full of single professionals and people from lots of different places. I'm just wondering if East Stroudsburg tends toward one version or the other, or is something in between.
I don't think you'll have a problem fitting in. As I said, Monroe County is the second-fastest growing county in PA (only outdone by neighboring Pike County to the north), and this revolving door of new residents has lead most people to be tolerant of newcomers. Quite literally a half-dozen families are moving there on any given day. One of my Biology professors at King's College lives in East Stroudsburg (she's originally from NJ), and she's probably one of the kindest people I've ever met. I won't post her personal information on here out of respect for her, but if you'd like I might be able to e-mail her to tell her that you're likewise a college professor moving to East Stroudsburg to see if she would be interested in helping you. Bear in mind though that she was probably in her late-50s or early-60s, so her social circles, nightlife standards, etc. will likely vary quite a bit from yours. East Stroudsburg seems to be a fairly socially-liberal and accepting town though; my boyfriend and I garnered no unusual stares or whispers while dining out there and walking around town like we occasionally do here in the more socially-uptight Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area.

Best of luck!

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 12-02-2007 at 06:48 PM.. Reason: Repaired Broken Quote

Old 12-02-2007, 07:08 PM

13 posts, read 78,420 times
Think twice before moving to the East Stroudsburg/Stroudsburg area. Just read the Pocono Record everyday for the crime, gangs, drugs. I have lived there for 10 years. It was a wonderful place to be 10 years ago, but It's getting worse by the day. The taxes are going up because of the new schools they keep putting in to support all the NY people that are moving in. No thanks to LTS. I had enough and moved out of PA totally. Stay away from Monroe County! It's not a place to bring up your children.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:47 AM

ScrantonWilkesBarre,

Thank you very much for offering to put me in touch with your college professor friend in the area! I will write you privately with my contact information. Although I am only at the application stage at this point, I am quite interested in the position at ESU and in knowing as much as possible about the area. Many thanks again for a very informative reply to my questions.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:36 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
ScrantonWilkesBarre,

Thank you very much for offering to put me in touch with your college professor friend in the area! I will write you privately with my contact information. Although I am only at the application stage at this point, I am quite interested in the position at ESU and in knowing as much as possible about the area. Many thanks again for a very informative reply to my questions.
You are quite welcome. Check your e-mail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania