Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2012, 03:26 PM

3 posts, read 11,010 times

Advertisements

Our family is relocating to the Mountain Top area. We have an 18-month old daughter that loves to be busy. We are searching for things to do at all times of the year (indoors, outdoors, active and quiet)

We have been told that the Kirby library is great and is very close to our new home. Are there other activities that are geared towards toddlers?

We would also like to enroll her in a preschool type atmosphere. Are there any classes available for children under 2?

Any recommendations for evening/weekend activities for the whole family?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 05:15 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,890,865 times
Welcome to the area. Once you're settled and meeting new people, many of whom will have children your daughter's age, you'll find tons of activities. As for specifics, my babies are all grown up and have their own families.

You might keep your eye out for the free newspapers, The Weekender and Electric City/Diamond City and Happenings. They're usually found at convenient stores. Don't be put off by the plethora of bars and adult activities they contain, there are also listings for children's activities. You'll soon find that you're close to the W-B/Kingston venues, and not really far from Scranton. I don't know of any pre-K schools for children that young. (Doesn't mean they don't exist) I think at that age they call it Day Care. Good luck in your new home.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:19 PM

2,760 posts, read 3,927,912 times
You might want to check out this free paper. I always get a hard copy from my peds office:

Old 05-25-2012, 05:31 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,157,901 times
I would definitely check out NE PA Family as bloom pointed out.

I also follow this blog:

NEPA Mom - Mom Tested. Kid Approved.

I know you mentioned the Kirby Library. They are great! Also, check out the Osterhout Library in Wilkes-Barre. Their children's department has a TON of activities for little ones.

Welcome to NE PA!

Old 05-29-2012, 08:07 PM

3 posts, read 11,010 times
Thanks for the suggestions! We will definitely check into these informative sources.

Just a clarification: We would like to enroll our daughter in a 2-3 day a week (for a few hours) preschool setting for the interaction with other children her age in an educational atmosphere. Fortunately our careers allow for us to not need childcare or daycare services.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:26 AM

1 posts, read 4,715 times
Default Wondering if you found any other helpful resources!?

I was way overwhelmed when we first moved here from Austin (almost a year ago) and our baby was only 6 months old. I didn't do or have time for an research. They offered a lot of programs, places, and activities in the Austin area, that I just can't find here. It didn't take much effort to find things to do there. Here, I am still struggling to find age appropriate places/activities for us in the area. (She is almost 17 months old, now.) It all seems geared toward school-aged kids. Wondering if you've gotten any other tips... I would love to get involved in some mommy and me groups, programs, and/or exercise programs within a 30 minute drive! My poor kid (and I) need some socialization!

Old 07-20-2012, 06:46 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,157,901 times
Check out the YMCA too. I am not sure where you live trying, but here you can find the nearest Y to you.

http://www.ymca.net/find-your-y/

I would also call your local churches, libraries, etc.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:34 AM

19 posts, read 32,690 times
Hi, I live in Mt Top, so feel free to PM if you need any info about the mountain. My kids are in school, so I'm not familiar with the toddler scene here. We moved back to the area when they were three and five, and I remember feeling like there weren't a lot of activities for kids their age. I think there might be a Gymboree play center somewhere in Wilkes-Barre. Also, have you tried St. Paul's across from Mountain Freeze? I think they have a preschool program. My kids went to AppleTree down in Forty Fort for preschool/Kindergarten, and I think they recently started a class for 2/3 year old class. Peg is the director. She's great. It's worth the drive.

Let me know where you're living. Maybe I know some moms with younger childeren. I'm sure you could start a play group. Good luck...

Old 07-24-2012, 02:13 PM

34 posts, read 51,490 times
I just wanted to say hi and welcome...I don't know where the mountain top area is but im in dingmans ferry and I have a 17 month old son. We are always trying to find fun things to do, I'am a stay at home mom with a 3 year old daughter. We just moved here last year and we still dont know many things to do around here yet. Looking forwarded to seeing the responses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania