U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Unread 02-04-2008, 09:31 AM

2,322 posts, read 3,205,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
You come from NY/NJ and you think we have an illegal immigrant problem? Lets be honest, Scranton and all of NE PA is pretty much lily-white compared to both NYC and NJ. Do you assume that we have a widespread illegal immigrant problem just because we have some more people of Hispanic descent than we used to have? How do you know they are illegal? Are you assuming they are just by their skin tone or accent?

And if you hate it here so much, nobody is keeping you here against your will. Feel free to leave. Its a free country.
I agree with you,it is much more wide spread in NY,NJ compared to scranton
and the comments made are over generalizing of people. You are right, if they don't like it move, as a matter of fact move to NY and see how expensive the cost of living,housing,commuting, and everything else is. I know because I still have a home here going back and forth to PA, and moving to NEPA was the best thing I did for me and my family.People have to relize there is no perfect place or world to live in, make your choices wisely where you want to live and make the best of it.

Unread 02-04-2008, 09:59 AM

1,973 posts, read 1,829,378 times
First of all, i shouldn't have to move, i was born in this country, my parents and grandparents worked hard here all their life. Legal or illegal, I'm sick and tired of seeing them in the grocery store with food stamps and one kid in the oven, one in the stoller, and one next to it, and expensive cell phones, cars, designer clothing. I'm sick of seeing them fly their flags, this is America, we have one flag. I am sick of pressing 1 for English. If they want to come to this country so bad, then learn the language, fly our flag. Our grandparents and great grandparents did when they came here, no-one bent over backwards for them, they worked hard and adapted to our culture, and made this country what it is today. They can't adjust, then go back to where they came from. Enough already!

Unread 02-04-2008, 10:06 AM

2,938 posts, read 754,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sues1 View Post
First of all, i shouldn't have to move, i was born in this country, my parents and grandparents worked hard here all their life. Legal or illegal, I'm sick and tired of seeing them in the grocery store with food stamps and one kid in the oven, one in the stoller, and one next to it, and expensive cell phones, cars, designer clothing. I'm sick of seeing them fly their flags, this is America, we have one flag. I am sick of pressing 1 for English. If they want to come to this country so bad, then learn the language, fly our flag. Our grandparents and great grandparents did when they came here, no-one bent over backwards for them, they worked hard and adapted to our culture, and made this country what it is today. They can't adjust, then go back to where they came from. Enough already!
I agree they should assimilate somewhat...especially with learning the language, but a lot of the hate you are spewing is exactly what our ancestors faced when they came here. Nobody wanted the Irish, the Italians, and other cultures here when they came here, either.

Your flag comment is asinine. There is nothing wrong with being being proud of your heritage. I sometimes fly an Irish flag. It doesn't mean I am disrespecting the American flag.

And your comments about all hispanics being on welfare and owing expensive items is quite the ignorant blanket statement. To me, it seems the hispanics are more likely to be struggling and living in poverty rather than owning expensive items. And if they are illegal, they wouln't be getting welfare here. Most illegals are actually here to work, and work harder than many Americans at crappy jobs. In fact, it seems that its more native born Americans that are milking the welfare system while buying expensive things, rather than Hispanics.

You must be pretty miserable with your own life to hold such hatred for an entire group of people based on nothing but their ethnicity.

Last edited by FightinPhils; 02-04-2008 at 10:44 AM..

Unread 02-04-2008, 10:19 AM

1,973 posts, read 1,829,378 times
No, i don't hate the entire hispanic population, just the ones who think they are owed everything. You must not get out much, because i see them with food stamps all the time, with 3 or 4 little ones in tow, and they have on designer clothes and their nextel's stuck to their ears. I'm not rehashing this again, just look sometime, you'll see plenty.

Unread 02-04-2008, 10:53 AM

2,938 posts, read 754,394 times
Quote:
No, i don't hate the entire hispanic population, just the ones who think they are owed everything. You must not get out much, because i see them with food stamps all the time, with 3 or 4 little ones in tow, and they have on designer clothes and their nextel's stuck to their ears. I'm not rehashing this again, just look sometime, you'll see plenty.
You have nothing positive at all to say about this area....from the people right down to the pizza. Why are you even here? Go back to Jersey or wherever you came from if you hate this area so much. I know I wouldn't stay somewhere that made me that miserable.

Unread 02-04-2008, 11:14 AM

934 posts, read 1,801,030 times
Look, take a breather here. There is good and bad in every race, religion, etc. All I know is if it weren't for the Mexican's when Hurricane Charley hit Punta Gorda, nobody would have had their homes fixed as fast as they did. The mexicans work hard for their money and don't complain much either like alot of the young American's do about working.
Stop the hate and give people a chance, wherever they are from. If you are from here and don't like it nobody is stopping you from moving someplace else. If you came from New Jersey or another State you can always move back if you choose to. Just smile and know that there are nice people everywhere including NEPA.

Unread 02-04-2008, 11:24 AM

188 posts
Quote:
There are plenty of rational arguments that can be made both pro and con on the immigration issue that we face today. Hate is not one of them.

Unread 02-04-2008, 12:13 PM

25,412 posts, read 42,204,468 times
Quote:
If you don't think Caucasians are just as guilty of begging for handouts then you apparently don't watch the weekly Scranton City Council meetings, in which all but two of the regular speakers are white, non-Hispanic. People approach the podium first to whine about paying "high taxes" and THEN whine that they want the government to give them more, do more for the "little people", bring them jobs, buy them things, kiss their rear-ends, make them happy, yada, yada, yada. You can't have it both ways! Either you fund the social programs these people want through higher taxes or you cut programs to give people tax breaks. People in Scranton seem to want their cake and eat it too. Believe me, if you want to see "high taxes" then go onto the NJ forum and say that paying $2,000 annually for a 3-bedroom, 1.5-bath home in Scranton is "ludicrous." You'll be laughed out of the forum so quickly that you won't know what hit you! Why? A home like that in NJ might have annual property taxes of $6,000! Sometimes you need to be more appreciative of what you DO have instead of always demanding more from a government which wasn't designed to be an economic teat for people like the city council whiners to suckle on.

Unread 02-04-2008, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
You have nothing positive at all to say about this area....from the people right down to the pizza. Why are you even here? Go back to Jersey or wherever you came from if you hate this area so much. I know I wouldn't stay somewhere that made me that miserable.
Now that's what I'm talking about!

Unread 02-04-2008, 12:43 PM

All I know is alot of the mexicans around my way(in New YORK) are very hard working people, they are taking jobs that nobody wants,or are too proud to take. How can you knock someone for trying to make a living and working, I know alot of caucasians that are useless, that are not even marketable in the job market and right off the back want to make lots of money, and knock the mexicans for taking a job they woundn't do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania