Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 08:58 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,094,204 times

Advertisements

I'm on the river several days a week(It's my office) and I don't see anything that you described blauskies. The fish problems are solely a issue BELOW Sunbury and not a North Branch issue.

Just today two of us stalked 4 Musky on a flat, had two follows right to the kayak and one of them was the single largest Musky I have ever seen on the Susquehanna. Well over 65" with a girth of a 3 gallon bucket. The river is healthy and we will be right back where those fish are in a few days, they are not going anywhere. There are 3 of the 4 things that these fish need this time of the year in that one spot and NO boats can get there nor a person on foot.

That fish made my previous one from last week look tiny and it was pushing 50"..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 09:43 AM

1,271 posts, read 2,592,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Define a fracking mishap, are you referring to where nearly all environmental mishaps occur at the surface where a liquid high in salt causes problems?

FYI the gas industry may end up being an ideal way to mitigate mine run off since they will need so much water. Hre's typical well, due to the expenses it's within their best interest to insure there is nothing going into the local aquifer.
There is concern that it could happen, if near a tributary that feeds the river. I just read the reports on the people who have problems since a well went in near their home. Another topic, but I think it should not be taken lightly. It's what they do with the water when it comes back up that concerns me.

America's Most Endangered Rivers: 2011: Susquehanna River

Old 07-08-2012, 10:01 AM

1,271 posts, read 2,592,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
I'm on the river several days a week(It's my office) and I don't see anything that you described blauskies. The fish problems are solely a issue BELOW Sunbury and not a North Branch issue.

Just today two of us stalked 4 Musky on a flat, had two follows right to the kayak and one of them was the single largest Musky I have ever seen on the Susquehanna. Well over 65" with a girth of a 3 gallon bucket. The river is healthy and we will be right back where those fish are in a few days, they are not going anywhere. There are 3 of the 4 things that these fish need this time of the year in that one spot and NO boats can get there nor a person on foot.

That fish made my previous one from last week look tiny and it was pushing 50"..
I have not fished in the Susquehanna for a while, this is going back 20 years or so. Maybe not a fair assumption in the present day?

Shady Nook in the Susquehanna just south of the Power Plant was always a well known area for large Muskies, back in the day there were Fish stories coming out of a lot of the old timers there and the local tackle shop of a supposedly 20+ year old estimated Muskie in excess of 60", some claim to have seen it follow their lures up to the boat but never could anyone catch it. Seeing the state record is 59" and is from 1924, I'll be surprised if that's ever matched with all the overfishing there is now? Back when I was fishing the river, everyone was not practicing catch and release. I never even caught a muskie, I did have plenty of lures chewed up and snapped lines though.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:07 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Part of the problem with the well water testing is no one did any testing before the drilling started, the things they are finding in the water can be attributed to natural causes or other man made causes. I know a lot of homeowners did testing prior to drilling after it started becoming a concern but I'm not aware of any that had their water tested prior to drilling where issues have been found after they drilled. I believe there was a few water wells near the Towanda area where it was directly linked to the driller. Again polluting the aquifer aside for their own best interests the driller has do what is right to protect the water aquifer.

The fluid that is pumped out is placed into holding dams, it's pumped into trucks, sent to treatment plants and then released. Some of these dams have broken and this is where the biggest issue is. My understanding is this fluid is very high in salt which of course is going to kill a lot of things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania