Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 03:37 AM

1,032 posts, read 4,263,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
You seem like one of the few people who "get it".
I suppose I "get it" because I've lived in many other places in the country besides Drums PA, and embrase diversity in a community instead of being frightened by it.

I lived in Vermont when the law allowing civil unions went into effect and I was so proud to live in a state that was so open minded! So, you could imagine my outrage when the mayor of Halzelton came forth with this ordinance - total embarrassment!

By the way, I am neither gay nor hispanic, just a plain old white girl from Long Island who wants to raise her kids to understand and appreciate differences in people.

Old 10-04-2007, 04:23 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,552,564 times
KristyLiz,

There is nothing wrong in being open minded and appreciating diversity as I do. Being an illegal immigrant is totally different - meaning you can not compare the two.

Old 10-04-2007, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHighHat View Post
KristyLiz,

There is nothing wrong in being open minded and appreciating diversity as I do. Being an illegal immigrant is totally different - meaning you can not compare the two.
You make a good point.

I guess it's just easy for me to lose sight of this fact since the majority of these illegal immigrants are just here wanting to work hard and make a better life for the family.

Old 10-04-2007, 05:15 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,713,551 times
What I liked about the Hazleton ordinance was that it never directly targeted illegal immigrants for punishment, but rather the people who were profiting from their situation. Illegal immigration is following a predictable course of supply-and-demand. Hazleton attempted to go after the people who were creating the demand. Frankly, that should be the focus of the national approach to the situation, rather than rousting individuals who are trying to better their lives. By allowing the demand for illegal labor to continue unabated, deporting individuals almost guarantees that new illegal immigrants will take their place.
The Hazleton ordinance couldn't stand because of jurisdiction issues, but it was philosophically sound. And as far as the collateral damage of legal Latino residents facing discrimination, would anyone seriously suggest that the people doing the discriminating wouldn't have harbored the same feelings even without the law? That would be like saying the people who protested the integration of Little Rock schools 50 years ago weren't prejudiced prior to the court order forcing the integration.

Old 10-04-2007, 05:22 AM

620 posts, read 2,055,740 times
Well said, Mary.

I would add that it is possible that racial animosity would grow as a result of the ordinance. The racism would've been there before, but the "us vs. them" mentality might've been fueled by it, making it a more difficult place to live for hispanics, legal or illegal.

Old 10-04-2007, 05:35 AM

201 posts, read 538,919 times
I have seen many good working hispanics over the years but they are here legally and that is fine with me but I am all for Barlettos proposal about the illegals, regardless of nationality. They are not here to make better lives for their families. My mom worked at the welfare office for over 20 years and she said that they would bring in bus loaded of illegal immigrants every week and they collect from our welfare system. I hate to shop Wal-mart anymore because that is all you see there and they are not the nice one, they are rude. I love to see them with 4 carts full while I am struggling. Of course, I do not know if they are the legal ones or not. I think they need to do away with it all together if it can not be used the right way. I think people will see things differently if/when they get robbed and find out the person does not even belong in this country. Sorry, had to vent my opinon.

Old 10-04-2007, 06:39 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,657,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyLiz View Post
You make a good point.

I guess it's just easy for me to lose sight of this fact since the majority of these illegal immigrants are just here wanting to work hard and make a better life for the family.
Hello KristyLiz. I too hail from Long Island. I don't think these ilegals want to work hard at all. Maybe the legal ones, but def. not the illegal ones. The illegal ones do not want to assimilate or learn our language. They should not even be in our country at all. It's not our problem that they want to make a better life for their family. They should try making a better life for themselves in their own country or come her legally or don't come at all. They do not care about our laws, they only want to drain our system for their own benefit. They are not entitled to be here, they have to earn it like everyone else does. By the way, what town are you from on the island?

Old 10-04-2007, 06:43 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,657,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
What I liked about the Hazleton ordinance was that it never directly targeted illegal immigrants for punishment, but rather the people who were profiting from their situation. Illegal immigration is following a predictable course of supply-and-demand. Hazleton attempted to go after the people who were creating the demand. Frankly, that should be the focus of the national approach to the situation, rather than rousting individuals who are trying to better their lives. By allowing the demand for illegal labor to continue unabated, deporting individuals almost guarantees that new illegal immigrants will take their place.
The Hazleton ordinance couldn't stand because of jurisdiction issues, but it was philosophically sound. And as far as the collateral damage of legal Latino residents facing discrimination, would anyone seriously suggest that the people doing the discriminating wouldn't have harbored the same feelings even without the law? That would be like saying the people who protested the integration of Little Rock schools 50 years ago weren't prejudiced prior to the court order forcing the integration.
Excellent post. Couldn't of said it better. The ordinance is punishing the people who employ and house the illegals, not the illegals themselves. These people should be punished because they are profiting on illegal actions.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
Hello KristyLiz. I too hail from Long Island. I don't think these ilegals want to work hard at all. Maybe the legal ones, but def. not the illegal ones. The illegal ones do not want to assimilate or learn our language. They should not even be in our country at all. It's not our problem that they want to make a better life for their family. They should try making a better life for themselves in their own country or come her legally or don't come at all. They do not care about our laws, they only want to drain our system for their own benefit. They are not entitled to be here, they have to earn it like everyone else does. By the way, what town are you from on the island?
I guess I just don't feel the same way.

BTW, I am grew up in Coram

Old 10-04-2007, 08:02 AM

98 posts, read 378,471 times
Simply put, without the labor force you are talking about (illegal or not) our economy would suffer dramatically both locally and nationally. This is the sole reason the federal government hasn't dealt with this issue yet. Recent rumblings of grandfathering anyone that has made it in until now and then enforcing the borders after that seems to make a bit of sense to me. It solves the hit on the economy probelm that would happen if you tried to cut off illegal workers in one shot and it handles moving forward in a matter that is likely acceptable to other Americans.

I work in the construction and development industry and i can tell you with high confidence that the hispanic and asian work force is better and faster than ANY other ethnic background. Our industry would colapse and prices would skyrocket without them. Agian, the government knows this and what is one of the initial indicators used by all economists? Construction, who's impact typically follows economic treads more accurately in the short term than other industries.

True, many illegals likely abuse our entitlement programs but just like all other ethnicities in our lower socioeconomic classes, this is more a product of their surroundings and not the individual. Without investing in other programs such as education, family services etc the problem with entitlement programs will continue to persist and grow from generation to generation. In fact, our nation is full of legal, american born citizens that woudl rather abuse the entitlement programs than take the jobs from the illegal workers. That is sad. Over generations, they have become complacent with the handouts and feel it better to follow in their parents footsteps than go out and work for the $10-$15 per hour and EARN their keep. When it comes to that comparison, i side with the illegal willing to put in a honest days work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania