Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 05:19 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,876,324 times

Advertisements

I have been living in the area since July of 2006 and have noticed a steady increase in migrants from Philadelphia. I lived in Philly for 8 years and then Montgomery county just north of Philly for another 2. I have run into several Philadelphians at my workplace in Wilkes Barre and the trend seems to be on the move. There also appears to be a trend for New Yorkers to move to Scranton which has recently been dubbed "Mini Manhattan".

I wouldn't be surprised to hear Wilkes Barre soon be dubbed "Little Philly"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2007, 05:32 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,876,324 times
Default Locals are nice here

I also would like to add that I have only had one negative experience. Everyone else has been very nice and welcoming. I live in the Heights of Wilkes Barre just up the hill from GAR High School and the area seems very nice, clean, well kept and quiet. The neighbors always wave and I chat with the next door neighbors. Everyone takes care of their house in my area and it is safe to be out at night. There are areas to avoid in Wilkes Barre but that seems to be changing as the larger Police force put in place last year seems to be helping clean the bad spots.

The one negative I had was a man I worked with last year told me that New Yorkers and Philadelphians were ruining the area by making real estate get expensive because of the increased demand. The ironic thing was this guy inherited a house from his Mother-in-law many years back and he moved from? The Bronx :-) hypocrit city

Old 09-30-2007, 05:48 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,571,024 times
Gosh retired from Law Enforcement, a teacher and a paralegal...........lots of hats for HighHat.
I agree with your postings especially #5........
I've never wanted to keep up with the Jones. I just want to stroll along with a nice happy life without looking at what others have or want.
All that glitters you can't take with you when you old and grey.
I just like making memories of times with family, friends and children........
I'm so surprised your community area is so closed down. After the tragedy that
befell us on 9/11 you think we'd all band together as steadfast friends.
Strangers that came together as HEROES, showed us an example of that.........
and right in our own beloved state.

Old 09-30-2007, 06:35 PM

142 posts, read 535,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkey View Post
I also would like to add that I have only had one negative experience. .................
The one negative I had was a man I worked with last year told me that New Yorkers and Philadelphians were ruining the area by making real estate get expensive because of the increased demand. The ironic thing was this guy inherited a house from his Mother-in-law many years back and he moved from? The Bronx :-) hypocrit city
I am also a transplant from NJ now living in Honesdale.

Ditto regarding one negative experience. Same story...New Yorkers and Jersey folks driving up Real Estate prices to the point that the locals cannot afford a house for themselves. The one complaint came from someone who seemed to have forgotten that he was also a transplant back in 1980. In his mind the Real Estate phenomena ended at the Honesdale city limits.

Three other transplants I have made friends with had similar stories. Their response was: "If it wasn't for NY and NJ money coming in you'd starve to death".

In all, PA is a wonderful place to live. It is a nice change to see people wave to me with their "whole" hand.

Old 09-30-2007, 09:04 PM

44 posts, read 129,960 times
Chip away at those unfriendly natives and you find Spanky the coal miner...Anybody else is a newcomer. I'll think I'll cut me up some mangoes for my salad.

Old 10-01-2007, 05:53 AM

1,032 posts, read 4,250,960 times
I'm a Long Island girl, but in the past 10 years, I've lived in Connecticut, Vermont, Luzerne county, Montgomery county and am now moving to the Lehigh Valley, so I am a profesional transplant

I find that I hit if off best with other transplants like myself. Also, we like to buy new construction so that everyone in the development is new and more interested in meeting each other. I have three young boys, so I find that I meet people easist through their school and activities.

I am very outgoing, and have no problem making friends, but it is sometimes hard when you live in an area where everyone is 'from there'. Connecticut was like this - it was very hard to form close friendships because essentially eveyone's friend card was full with long time friends and family.

Living in Luzerne county was a little weird because of the lack of diversity, and I knew there was no way I could raise my kids in the Hazleton SD with their attitude towards hispanics (very scary).

Vermont was fantastic - they considered us "flat landers" but they were very welcoming and I loved it there! We lived up there when civil union became legal and it was a hoot going to all those weddings - I miss my gay friends!

The first move was obviously the hardest, but now that I've done it so many times, I can tell right away if an area is welcoming to outsiders.

Last edited by KristyLiz; 10-01-2007 at 06:05 AM..

Old 10-01-2007, 08:37 AM

2,834 posts, read 10,727,526 times
Here's my take on transplants..
I am a transplant from 14 yrs ago and I can spot a transplant a mile away! I'm from N.Y. but have been guilty of picking on the NY transplants.

My list of what NOT to do when you are a new transplant:

Don't show up at PTA, little league, church or the local grocery store or bank and say "In N.Y. we did it this way..." This will never get you points and will discredit everything you say, no matter how good your suggestion is.

Do NOT comment on anyone's accent. YOU have the accent now!

Leave your excessive BLING at home. You no longer need to impress anyone. If you are wearing it because YOU actually like it, then go right ahead.

Leave your full length racoon coat at home. You look rediculous! Go get a down parka.

Don't expect to make friends when you tell people that you put your kids in private school in the 'city' because your children have nothing in common with farmers.

Don't assume that teachers, doctors and other professionals are not as smart as where you came from. It only makes you sound ignorant.

When first moving here, don't try to make suggestions until you have observed how things are being done. Most people don't want to fix what isn't broken.

As far as the Pa side of it....

Please don't assume that all transplants are alike. We are all individuals who come from different places and backgrounds. We came here to start a new life, give us a chance to acclamate!

DO NOT judge my children because of where I came from!

Don't expect me to be thrilled when you tell me "You're one of us now, we 'like' you, you're not like them....We get exactly what you are saying.

I know I have an accent sometimes....just try to deal with it. It's not like you can't understand what I am saying!

Don't assume I'm rich because I came from NY and I made so much money there.

Don't assume you can't trust me.

Moving to Pa was the hardest thing I ever did. I wasn't prepared for the culture shock, no less the Unwelcome aditudes. This actually floored me at the time. When I was asked by a teacher in the local public school, "What makes all you NYers want to move here in the first place?", I told her, "If I had known what a wonderful reception I was going to receive, I probably would have looked to live somewhere else." My response was specific to her question.

OK, enough of my ranting! I LOVE Pa! I will live here for a very long time.

Old 10-01-2007, 08:46 AM

996 posts, read 3,263,277 times
Great post, I LOVE PA!

The first one regarding PTA, etc. is so relevant. You have no idea how many times people come to PTA meetings and suggest how things should be changed and done the way it was at their former school. But when it comes time for the actual event, the person is no where to be found.

We also had transplants complaining about why we had snow days built into the school calendar. They didn't like the fact that the unused ones were given as days off (usually Fridays) near the end of the school year. Go figure.

Old 10-01-2007, 01:53 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,727,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greentown View Post
Great post, I LOVE PA!

The first one regarding PTA, etc. is so relevant. You have no idea how many times people come to PTA meetings and suggest how things should be changed and done the way it was at their former school. But when it comes time for the actual event, the person is no where to be found.

We also had transplants complaining about why we had snow days built into the school calendar. They didn't like the fact that the unused ones were given as days off (usually Fridays) near the end of the school year. Go figure.
Western Wayne doesn't put their snow days in the calendar, but then your never sure when graduation is! CAn't please everyone!

Old 10-01-2007, 04:04 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,507,495 times
Summering,

Thanks for you kind words. You would think that people are more accepting....but I would take Rockland County over PA any day of the week. People are diverse and everyone gets along. I know the licesne plate said, "You have a friend in PA"....haven't seen it yet. I AM NOT SAYING ALL OF PA....only
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania