Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 09:24 PM

142 posts, read 537,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MermanMike View Post

A lot of the people I've gotten to know in Honesdale have transplanted from Queens, Brooklyn, and NJ. There is a lot of support for the arts. I have sensed a good deal of both traditional values and open mindedness. I don't know anything about the school, but I have noticed that the highschool/middle school aged young people I see around town are pretty respectful and well mannered compared to the young people I've known outside of this area.

One thing I really appreciated when I first moved here was that a lot of people reached out to me. There are a lot of friendly locals and a lot of transplants that know how tough it is to be new.
When I first moved to Honesdale, one of the first people to speak to me was a retired history college professor who was with his 98 year old dad having breakfast at the local McDonalds. "Well young man" he blurted out..."what brings you to this economically depressed part of Wayne County"?

I thought for a second, "the people and the community as a whole" "From what I read, saw and heard there are lots of good people living here with traditional family values".

"Yes", the professor went on to say "There are plenty of good people living here". "Welcome to Honesdale".

I have a "breakfast meeting" almost every day at this particular McDonalds. The coffee is good and and the conversation with the group of 14 or so is even better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 05:21 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,549,693 times
Bravo New Jersey,

What an uplifting story!! The experience in itself probably made you feel at home right away. Speaking of professors. I was on an elevator with a profesor at the U and he started making conversation right away. Not stuffy at all up there. I wish someone had the deceny to ring our doorbell 5 years ago and say welcome.....it would have made a world of difference. People in the community said they didn't bother with us because at the time we didn't have any children. Once I had a baby - I knew their true colors and kept my distance.

A smile, a warm thought and kind conversation can go a long way!!

The Hat

Old 10-03-2007, 05:26 AM

Dear FF18WIFE,

Welcome to the Poconos and welcome to the Forum. It sounds like you have a beautiful home and I am glad you are adjusting. Yes, I was the one that boosts about KidsPlayToday. We take our daughter up there once a week and love it. It's a bit of an adjustment when you move but you will get used to it. I've been up here 5 years, I wish I would have moved the the Lake Region right away, but at the time my husband was commuting into Manhattan. Vent anytime and Welcome~

The Hat

Old 10-03-2007, 06:12 AM

755 posts, read 2,333,098 times
HighHat-
Thank you for the welcome!! Maybe our paths will cross at KidsPlay Today someday. I keep trying to get there on Fridays for open play but it just hasn't been happening lately. :-)

Old 10-03-2007, 06:27 AM

Me too, ff18wife,

The little one has a class on Monday but we have not been getting up there for the free play on fridays because something always pops up! The ownerss are just lovely people and I highly recommend it!

Old 10-04-2007, 06:11 AM

755 posts, read 2,333,098 times
I'm going to try to make it tomorrow for open play...so far I have nothing planned for the day. We'll see. I'll have to call in the morning and see if they have any spots available.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:58 AM

910 posts, read 2,991,538 times
Hat does that place have a website? Do you know if they have any 'special kid' playgroups? Maybe next time you're there you can ask? THANKS

Old 10-04-2007, 10:20 AM

Sure, Pocono:

Here it is: KidsPlayToday.com

Old 10-05-2007, 01:03 PM

470 posts, read 1,707,405 times
I know the mention about hunting was several pages ago, but ...

It makes me sick to my stomach to envision the beautiful deer where I live in the Milford area being shot.

I'm a transplant, and I have a quiet little fear that one of the locals is going to ask my husband to go hunting.

How long am I going to have to hear gunshots and know that the animals are terrified and possibly in pain?

What can I say, I have a tender heart, I feel sad seeing the deer hit and on the side of the road. I've heard all the practical/ecological reasons in support of hunting, and they don't change my unwavering belief.

Hunting to me is barbaric.

Old 10-05-2007, 01:12 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
I'm not a hunter and sure all wildlife can be seen as beautiful in one way or another, but everytime I run around Lake Scranton and see deer, I always think about two things, ticks and lyme disease, plus hunting does help keep certain wildlife populations down and managable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania