U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 08:39 PM

3,756 posts, read 5,937,073 times

Advertisements

Thank you Poconomana for stepping in here. In fact the first name of the bulder that ran away with the money was named Steve, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 04:16 PM

13,571 posts, read 23,141,026 times
Please get back on topic which is about PA builders.

Post link not copyrighted material

Old 10-04-2007, 04:20 PM

910 posts, read 2,037,502 times
Well I'll post a positive builder plug. Around here in the Greentown/Lake Ariel/Wallenpaupack area Wayne Butler is known as an awesome builder. Completes on time, does great work, nice guy all around. He puts spec homes up from time to time and they are always worth a looking at!

Old 10-28-2007, 05:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,602 times
This is a declining market and there are more homes for sale than are being sold, and you can buy a home cheaper than you can have one built in most areas of the Poconos at the present time. In some developments there is 5 years worth of inventory at the present rate of sales. You can find out that after you build the home it is worth much less than what it cost you to build.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:40 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,391,325 times
It really doesn't pay to share your opinion and say things are backward here. No matter what trade you are speaking of, their are good and bad in every trade in every state. It's not in the water we drink, we were all given the same brains. Treat people with a condescending attitude and they will spit in your food when you are not looking.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:52 PM

9,256 posts, read 7,972,718 times
Unfortunately, everything we do from eat spinach to build a house carries risk. Hire an attorney and an inspector. It was the best thing we did, and the lawyer even stepped in on our behalf twice after everything was said and done and the mortgage company changed hands. The new company was a nightmare, but he stood behind us.

Old 11-07-2007, 11:14 PM

139 posts, read 386,592 times
I have found that even the recommended roofers, electricians etc. can be half azz.

You have to have some skills in all trades to detemine if someone is really good and actually watch them work. I also like to inspect their previous work.

My Sister used a "recommended" plumber (hot water heater) that I had to finish the job as he left off the pipe that diverts hot water to the floor when the tank is over pressured . She hired a "recommended" roofer that left off flashing in key areas and the roof leaked. She hired a "recommended" oil burner expert that did not tighten the filter on the tank and made one heck of a mess.

It has taken me a year, but I have found a few craftsmen that are in high demand. I have to wait 6 to 8 months to replace my fairly new roof that the previous owner had installed by a "so called" professional.

Oh well, ......another day, ......another ten grand.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:54 AM

26 posts, read 55,342 times
Default builder stories

Just had to throw this one in. A contractor that I got to know working at my last place of employment did some finish work for me last year. Work was very good, price was a little high but because the work was good I didn't mind! Knowing what I know about Pocono Contractors getting back to you, I asked him over to give me an estimate on some other work that I would have liked to be done before this Thanksgiving. He came over to look at the job in August. You know I still have not received the estimate for the jobs and Thanksgiving is next week. I agree with one other contributor that I read. It is ALL about the work ethic and none of them have it. I have told many of my friends from the suburban Philadelphia area that they could make a really nice living up here. Just put an ad in the paper with the word "dependable" or "reliable" and you would be non stop busy!

Old 11-14-2007, 06:23 PM

21 posts, read 29,930 times
We used Fine Line, out of Hazelton... very affordable. I would definately reccomend them. They buy a ton of stuff in bulk, so you get a pretty good deal. Our house was built in 5 months, no major problems.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:29 AM

9,256 posts, read 7,972,718 times
[quote=REMAS Inspections;2824160]New construction is much better in PA compared to just a few years ago. We still don't have contractor licensing but finally there has been a statewide building code since 2004.

That is something that really bothers me! You need a license to cut hair in Pa, but not to be a builder. You need one to sell property, but not build on it.
At least Architects need to be!

Not just that, but there is no requirement for contractors or builders to take the code course. When my husband took the course in 2003 & 2006, very few builders or builders employees were there. There were a few contractors there, but certainly not from every trade. It seems like a voluntary thing, even though these contractors and builders have to build to that code. Code officials and inspectors should not have to do the job of the builder or contractor, by knowing codes they do not, or will not learn/apply.
I don't know why it is not a requirement, but I feel it should be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania