Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 08:13 PM

28 posts, read 50,644 times

Advertisements

I live in Wilkes-Barre. There is no legitimate "ghetto" here. The only people afraid are suburbanites who are afraid of working-class people. Racially, it is overwhelmingly white. There are not many black people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 11:00 PM

32,934 posts, read 36,351,383 times
No, there isn't a ghetto in Wilkes-Barre. There are, however, some dicey areas. I grew up in that city in a pretty slummy but mostly working class neighbourhood.

When I have to stop on Franklin St. for two black BMW sedans (driving in opposite directions) idling in the middle of the road, blocking the street for 5 minutes, I am concerned. The drivers were conversing with the inhabitants of a house, all sitting on the porch. I had to tell my elderly Mom not to have a heart attack if I suddenly backed up, quickly, to the last intersection and pulled some kind of James Bond maneuver.

Yes, well, drugs are everywhere and crime is everywhere. I don't have much of a problem where I now live. I could probably walk around the block, naked, at 3AM and nothing would happen to me - unless someone reported me to the police.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:35 AM

452 posts, read 681,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cchandler View Post
I live in Wilkes-Barre. There is no legitimate "ghetto" here. The only people afraid are suburbanites who are afraid of working-class people. Racially, it is overwhelmingly white. There are not many black people.
You are certainly entitled to your opinion. However, it seems to me that the overall perception of the NEPA area is slightly different than that of most people who post here.

Urban Dictionary: The Great White Ghetto

I look forward to the response from the cheerleaders.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:45 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,820,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.Trips View Post
You are certainly entitled to your opinion. However, it seems to me that the overall perception of the NEPA area is slightly different than that of most people who post here.

Urban Dictionary: The Great White Ghetto

I look forward to the response from the cheerleaders.
Urban Dictionary....there's a credible reference source.......

Old 08-01-2012, 07:09 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,086,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
sadly there are white ghettos here---even in kingston--sigh!

Old 08-01-2012, 07:29 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,820,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
sadly there are white ghettos here---even in kingston--sigh!
I agree with that (see Valley View Estates trailer park in Archbald and a good portion of Carbondale)....but using Urban Dictionary as a reference? That makes Wikipedia look like Encyclopedia Brittanica.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:29 AM

452 posts, read 681,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
Granted, The Urban Dictionary may be somewhat of a tongue-in-cheek definition source of many of the things we see in society everyday but fail to put a label on it, but enough people thought of NEPA that way for it to make it in. Secondly, seems to me you are in a bit of denial about the area in general.

"I wish there would be a moratorium on creating more "multi-family" housing unless the owner plans on living in one of the units. Rentals are killing this area. Too many slumlords not caring who they rent to as long as they're raking in Section 8 checks."
That's your post from another thread. In my world, you just described a "ghetto". I do however sympathize with you. It must be frustrating knowing that tomorrow your property value will be less than today and it's not going to get any better.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:53 AM

24,120 posts, read 32,468,260 times
P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.Trips View Post
Granted, The Urban Dictionary may be somewhat of a tongue-in-cheek definition source of many of the things we see in society everyday but fail to put a label on it, but enough people thought of NEPA that way for it to make it in. Secondly, seems to me you are in a bit of denial about the area in general.

"I wish there would be a moratorium on creating more "multi-family" housing unless the owner plans on living in one of the units. Rentals are killing this area. Too many slumlords not caring who they rent to as long as they're raking in Section 8 checks."
That's your post from another thread. In my world, you just described a "ghetto". I do however sympathize with you. It must be frustrating knowing that tomorrow your property value will be less than today and it's not going to get any better.
I wish there would be the same moratorium! There is a slumlord who owns the fire trap across the street who is laughing all the way to the bank on those section 8 checks!

They are not ALL from NY or NJ BTW. This particular individual has a "SEM" sticker on his Mercedes SUV. I have confronted him many times and asked him how he would like to live across the street from the people he rents to.

He is usually deferential to me - because he knows I have the W-B Police Force on call and he knows I turned in the derelict building on my street.

I personally earn less money per year than one year at SEM costs.

This is the height of arrogance to me.

Still, there are some nice areas in Wilkes-Barre City.

I happen to love Urban Dictionary BTW. Funny and often on target!

They call my Alma Mater " The seventeenth province of China, bizarrely located in New York State."

Pretty on target although more of those "Chinese" are actually Korean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania