Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2012, 05:33 PM

23,880 posts, read 32,163,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloominscranton View Post
I agree nothing strange to me about living your life while waiting for changes. I find it sad that you can not even use your back yard...I thought things only occured in the front, to not be able to use any outdoor space at all...would make me crazy!
Yeah it's a crazy making situation - not the best at all.

Things in that house will NEVER change. We are open to many areas. We are just looking around.

It's funny, once one makes the big move out of their state and comfort zone, everything becomes a possibility!

We have had DMs from people urging us to move to everywhere from Texas to Nevada and North Carolina.

Nothing is engraved in stone yet - except the fact that we will not be here on this block next summer and we will find a better place to live. That is certain.

Old 08-31-2012, 05:44 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,751,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
We are MORE than open to Pittsburgh! We need to give it a closer look. Do you have a realtor that you would like to recommend?

I am so happy that you children are doing well in Pittsburgh, Dorothy! And you get to save on Parochial School tuition!
I might as well throw in an endorsement for Pittsburgh too. My ex and I lived there briefly in the late '90s when we were in our mid-20s. Even though it was still a sleepy post-industrial city back then and was nowhere near the next up-and-coming "cool" city that it is today, we wanted to stay. Alas, the Pittsburgh job market was still pretty rough back then and we had much better opportunities back home. I'd move back in a snap if the opportunity to do so came along. Get in on Pittsburgh while there's still a hugely favorable balance between cost of living and quality of life -- this may be the last chance. The real estate price run-up has already started on the East End and near north south sides.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:01 PM

2,362 posts, read 5,116,146 times
Quote:

Nothing is engraved in stone yet - except the fact that we will not be here on this block next summer and we will find a better place to live. That is certain.

May the wind always be at your back and the sun upon your face.
And may the wings of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:01 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,879,203 times
Quote:
Yeah it's a crazy making situation - not the best at all.

Things in that house will NEVER change. We are open to many areas. We are just looking around.

It's funny, once one makes the big move out of their state and comfort zone, everything becomes a possibility!

We have had DMs from people urging us to move to everywhere from Texas to Nevada and North Carolina.

It's comforting to know you are getting a lot of support from all over. True about the comfort zone factor too, without any large roots it's easy to move the tree.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:24 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,287,663 times
Pittsburgh > Warren, OH, says OkayDorothy, Drover, and ME!

Old 08-31-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Pittsburgh > Warren, OH, says OkayDorothy, Drover, and ME!
Well I've never been to Warren.... but even sight unseen I trust I'd rather live in Pittsburgh.

Old 09-02-2012, 12:52 AM

2,744 posts, read 4,210,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Well I've never been to Warren.... but even sight unseen I trust I'd rather live in Pittsburgh.
We want to own our home and in the state of OH that is a possibility. In PA all doors are closing.

Warren is a city. There is a very nice area and a rough area. It is not block by block as it is in Wilkes-Barre. The bad area is pretty well self contained.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
We want to own our home and in the state of OH that is a possibility. In PA all doors are closing.

Warren is a city. There is a very nice area and a rough area. It is not block by block as it is in Wilkes-Barre. The bad area is pretty well self contained.
You gotta do what you gotta do. My comment wasn't intended as a criticism of your choice but mostly to reinforce my prior endorsement of Pittsburgh.

Old 09-02-2012, 04:27 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,328,044 times
Having read all this, I think warren and sheena absolutely are making the right call. Get out.
You should only stay and fight if you have a reasonable chance of winning. One man and and his family against a dozen or more thugs who are just taking a break from their next prison sentence is not a fair fight and will likely only end one way, with you losing, possibly your life. Fight when you can win.

Like an earlier poster wrote, I can't help wondering how different the reaction of the police and the politicians might have been if the races had been reversed. I know some have said race isn't the issue but when you are constantly hearing honky this and white azz that, it sure seems like a racial issue to the thugs.

The real loser here is the town of Wilkes-Barre. They lost a law-abiding tax paying family and still have the deadbeat thugs to deal with. Not a good trade.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:51 AM

947 posts, read 1,636,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
Having read all this, I think warren and sheena absolutely are making the right call. Get out.
You should only stay and fight if you have a reasonable chance of winning. One man and and his family against a dozen or more thugs who are just taking a break from their next prison sentence is not a fair fight and will likely only end one way, with you losing, possibly your life. Fight when you can win.

Like an earlier poster wrote, I can't help wondering how different the reaction of the police and the politicians might have been if the races had been reversed. I know some have said race isn't the issue but when you are constantly hearing honky this and white azz that, it sure seems like a racial issue to the thugs.

The real loser here is the town of Wilkes-Barre. They lost a law-abiding tax paying family and still have the deadbeat thugs to deal with. Not a good trade.

Kanhawk - If the races were reversed the result would be the same. The W-B police have a long history of inaction. Based on my own experience and that of a few friends with the W-B PD, it wouldn't matter if the crime was white on white, white on black, black on white or black on black, their response would be the same. Part of the reason is based on law but part of it is based on apathetic and ignorant police officers. They tend to more classify and react to victims by socio-economic class as opposed to race. I once had a WB police officer tell me that a parent was partially blame for a crime that was committed on their child because the parent was uneducated and unemployed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania