Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 05:34 PM

8 posts, read 14,590 times

Advertisements

So I've lived in Scranton for about three months now. It's safe to say I've pretty much moved beyond the settling in phase. With the weather turning more in my favor (not a fan of summer), I'm hoping to get out and start socializing more. Only problem is I've yet to really find or hear about any locations that seem to offer much to a younger crowd. Usually when I am in downtown Scranton later on a weekend night, I don't even see many people on the street. I don't drink (though I have no problem being around people who do, for the most part), so I'm not really interested in hitting up bars by myself. If I am going to one, I prefer something low key. Also I'm more of an introverted homebody type so really I'm just hoping to ingratiate myself with a circle of friends and acquaintances so I don't feel lonely and compelled to go do random stuff just to position myself for some form of non-work-related human contact.

So what's out there? Are they any events or groups to keep an eye out for? My prime hobby is music (I'm rather impressed by Scranton's record stores so far), though I'm usually not interested in new stuff, but I'm willing to compromise if it means an opportunity to get out of the house on a weekend. I wouldn't mind getting involved politically either, if there are any left/progressive type organizations around.

One thing I'm strongly considering is getting WBS Penguins season tickets, since I love hockey and they seem pretty affordable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 05:43 PM

2,362 posts, read 5,139,671 times
Do you play an instrument ?
If so you can meet others who want to play/jam/try. on craigslist ..
What about joining a gym or the YMCA ..

Hockey games are a good way of meeting people .. ( many are drunk though )

Its rough up here .. maybe go back to school take a few class's make some friends there and go from there ..

Im assuming your about 23-25 yrs old eh ?

Old 08-18-2012, 05:53 PM

8 posts, read 14,590 times
Pretty much right on. I'm 24.

I don't play an instrument, but I've actually been thinking about buying a cheap guitar on Craigslist. I've always wanted to play. The gym isn't a bad idea, either.

I finished grad school about a year ago and I have plenty of loans to pay off already. Taking a class or two in a language or something is appealing and it is a great social crutch, but I'm not totally sure I want to take on more educational expenses.

Old 08-18-2012, 06:03 PM

2,362 posts, read 5,139,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOTO View Post
Pretty much right on. I'm 24.

I don't play an instrument, but I've actually been thinking about buying a cheap guitar on Craigslist. I've always wanted to play. The gym isn't a bad idea, either.

I finished grad school about a year ago and I have plenty of loans to pay off already. Taking a class or two in a language or something is appealing and it is a great social crutch, but I'm not totally sure I want to take on more educational expenses.

There are some good deals on craigslist and other good deals in Guitar center and such..

You can take class's in anything , ( Basket weaving for one ) It dont even have to cost money ..

What about hanging out in a coffee house or a hooka lounge , taking a Yoga class...

There are still plenty of concerts left in the season,, Go to a few shows .. I had an extra ticket 8 yrs ago and posted it on Craigslist ,,, The Girl who e mailed me about it turned into my best friend and then became my wife ...

Old 08-18-2012, 08:13 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
In my 20 something years I spent a great deal of time drinking but only after I hiked a few miles into the woods. I'm not talking about your weekend deal but semi hardcore camping when the temps were down to 0.

Old 08-18-2012, 08:47 PM

2,095 posts, read 3,102,301 times
Try looking for local MeetUp groups to see if any of them spark your interest.

What kind of music are you into? There were some pretty decent indie bands in the area when I lived there.

Pick up an Electric City (yellow paper box on some street corners) and see if there are any bands mentioned. They also usually have info in there on other cultural events and local groups. I know some may consider the term "Scranton culture" an oxymoron, but it is there--you just have to look for it.

Since it is an election year, why not check into campaigning? Google "Scranton" and your party of choice and you'll be able to find the address. Volunteering is also a great way to meet people.

Good luck on your search!

Old 08-18-2012, 10:25 PM

1,429 posts, read 3,641,886 times
If you are active, there are organizations such as the Hubbard bike club that would probably be a good start for you; also the Riverfest group, they hold a big event on the river each year, but have a lot of volunteer days cleaning up local water ways. Also check out Zummo's cafe on Marion, lots of artsy type people in and out of there. The Vintage Theatre is moving to 326 Spruce, I think you might find a lot of kindred spirits there - a young, beatnick type place. If I think of anything else I will post, an instrument isn't a bad idea, you can go to Wade's World on Main for a second hand one. Galucci's on the square gives lessons, but I think you're better off with a book of tabs and some practice.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:48 PM

947 posts, read 1,643,356 times
you might want to consider joining the Jaycees. They host a lot of monthly social events for members and charity events as well.
Lackawanna River Corridor Association also has volunteer opportunities.
There are numerous bowling, golfing and softball leagues if you are sports minded and when the Yankees return next year, they usually have a singles mixer once a month.
Artists for Art offer art classes, monthly showings, etc.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:22 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
I've found many of my friends through volunteering for various organizations. I agree with everyone else's suggestions too!

Old 08-19-2012, 11:27 AM

24,120 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOTO View Post
So I've lived in Scranton for about three months now. It's safe to say I've pretty much moved beyond the settling in phase. With the weather turning more in my favor (not a fan of summer), I'm hoping to get out and start socializing more. Only problem is I've yet to really find or hear about any locations that seem to offer much to a younger crowd. Usually when I am in downtown Scranton later on a weekend night, I don't even see many people on the street. I don't drink (though I have no problem being around people who do, for the most part), so I'm not really interested in hitting up bars by myself. If I am going to one, I prefer something low key. Also I'm more of an introverted homebody type so really I'm just hoping to ingratiate myself with a circle of friends and acquaintances so I don't feel lonely and compelled to go do random stuff just to position myself for some form of non-work-related human contact.

So what's out there? Are they any events or groups to keep an eye out for? My prime hobby is music (I'm rather impressed by Scranton's record stores so far), though I'm usually not interested in new stuff, but I'm willing to compromise if it means an opportunity to get out of the house on a weekend. I wouldn't mind getting involved politically either, if there are any left/progressive type organizations around.

One thing I'm strongly considering is getting WBS Penguins season tickets, since I love hockey and they seem pretty affordable.

My son is eighteen and a recent HS grad about to leave for college next week.

He enjoys music a great deal and has seen shows at The Vintage Theater in Scranton, The Redwood Arts Center W.B. and some other places. His interests sound similar to yours.

He prefers vinyl to CD and likes Alternative, Punk 1977 and beyond, really Old Country (Johnny Cash etc) Rockabilly, Ska, reggae etc.

Unfortunately he is out of state visiting friends now, but a suggestion - visit Adams St. Scranton. There is a vegan restaurant there - Eden Cafe with good food. There are also several other shops - a used record store, Embassy Vinyl (or was that the movie?) a bar that is more about music Irish name can't think of it,and some vintage shops. This is sort of like Scranton's Greenwich Village.

Social Distortion played in Plains about two years ago at Good Time Charlies, as did some newer bands.

Outdoor activities are also popular with my son and his friends. Kayaking, hiking etc. are really popular in this area - and justly so - the woods, state parks and mountains beacon anyone who is semi conscious.

This is my favorite season in NEPA - not a fan of summer. When he gets back I will ask him more. He also has friends in Scranton who are a bit older.

Send me a DM if you want. There is a scene here but you have to look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania