Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 12:46 PM

1,429 posts, read 3,641,886 times

Advertisements

I would go with Moscow. It is more rural and that means more driving and a longer school commute, but I would say it is safter than Olyphant. Just about all of the valley towns are in the same bind right now - the older population is dying off, too many rental properties, and the aging housing market is creating a cess pool. Drug activity is rampant because the dealers have found how to beat the system - they move small amounts through a vast network. This means small time activity in like every fourth house on a given street in the denser neighborhoods (a national problem, really). Since Moscow is not really walkable, and the houses are single family on big lots, it naturally cuts down on these problems. No rentals means no one near the poverty level (the house-poor class being the lone exception lol).

With the better schools comes better drugs, so while I will not say that NP is a bad school, do not think that it will free your kids of the drug culture that is everywhere these days. Heroin and prescription drug abuse is common there, from what I hear. Same with the Abingtons. Sad to say, kids are not content to sneek a couple cans of pabst these days.

This is not all to say that any of the areas you picked are really all that bad, they are probably good compared to most. Just not something that this region is used to, we are on the cusp of being like everywhere else. Olyphant off the burke bypass is actually pretty nice back there, and they have an active, but small, downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 12:47 PM

1,429 posts, read 3,641,886 times
What's your budget and what do you require? Maybe we can help

Old 08-28-2012, 01:51 PM

9 posts, read 15,735 times
Boy can I relate! I was born in Hazleton, graduated from HHS and then got the hell out of there...and that was quite a while ago - I'm recently divorced and looking for a place to settle down myself (I renting right now) Not sure what area your husband works in, but have you considered the West Side - Forty-Fort, Wyoming, Exeter - nice walkable areas from what I've seen, I rented an apt. briefly in Exeter while I was separated...I'm going to be looking myself in the next year or so - I'm pretty set on those areas - my only concern is flooding...everyone in Forty-Fort has a lot riding on that concrete wall! But Exeter and Wyoming are pretty dry for the most part.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:30 PM

403 posts, read 771,302 times
My husband works in Tobyhanna. I'm not expecting any school to be free of drugs. Like any parent, I'm hoping I've taught her to stay away from it. Hazleton High School is bad in just about every way right now. Drugs, violence in and out of the school, WAY overcrowded, HORRIBLE test scores. Almost any school would be a step up! We're looking for a 3 bedroom home, preferably newer. We're also considering building a small home if we can afford it and can find reasonably priced land.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:41 PM

2,362 posts, read 5,139,671 times
Look twards Hamlin,,, Its a 20 min ride to Tobyhanna ... I also saw some Nice houses In Pocono Springs for sale .. Thats in Sterling or South Sterling .. Its in Wayne county ..

Old 08-28-2012, 07:17 PM

159 posts, read 458,079 times
Have you thought about a community with amenities. Big Bass Lake is very close to Tobyhana.

Old 08-29-2012, 04:48 AM

We'd really like to avoid anything with HOA fees. I don't think our budget would be able to afford them.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:19 PM

129 posts, read 425,167 times
North Pocono (Moscow) is a pretty good school system. There isn't any real central town but there is some beautiful land and it is the most convenient to your husbands work. Olyphant is an average school system but is by far the most affordable option, and it is a good community. I don't think the Scranton crime really spills over to Olyphant, but I guess I am not sure about that. Clarks Summit takes great pride in it's school system and there is certainly a more central town than North Pocono. It is more of a drive than North Pocono, but probably about the same as Olyphant. Building new in Clarks Summit would be rather expensive, but there are plenty of homes which could be fixed up for a modest cost. All of them have their advantages, but personally I think it is worth spending an afternoon in each community and deciding where you want to settle down.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:38 AM

Yes,...we've driven through Olyphant and Moscow several times. However, aside of looking at some homes in Moscow, we haven't really walked through any. Actually, there's not really much to walk through in Moscow! If I moved to Moscow, I would like it to be in one of the older developments or at least around other houses. I think this weekend we may take a trek up to Olyphant and Clarks Summit and do a walk around. Building in Clarks SUmmit will definitely be out of the picture for us. Our budget is under $200,000. The more under, the better. We're actually starting to second guess if building is even going to be an option.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:58 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,102,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renrenbri View Post
Yes,...we've driven through Olyphant and Moscow several times. However, aside of looking at some homes in Moscow, we haven't really walked through any. Actually, there's not really much to walk through in Moscow! If I moved to Moscow, I would like it to be in one of the older developments or at least around other houses. I think this weekend we may take a trek up to Olyphant and Clarks Summit and do a walk around. Building in Clarks SUmmit will definitely be out of the picture for us. Our budget is under $200,000. The more under, the better. We're actually starting to second guess if building is even going to be an option.

I'm actually surprised that you've been able to find houses in developments in Moscow for less than $200k. It's a pretty rural area and housing prices are still relatively high.

Is there any reason you settled on those three particularly areas? There are plenty of towns commutable to Tobyhanna that will give you the amenities you seek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania