Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 06:14 PM

24,113 posts, read 32,468,260 times

Advertisements

While dropping our son off at college at the end of August, we decided to make a vacation of it and visit some of the picturesque and New England like villages in Eastern Ohio. I have an old college friend in Kirtland, and we visited her and she was able to tell us of some less suburban, smaller inner ring suburbs - similar to Kingston or Forty Fort, which was where we were planning to move next.

We still love NEPA, we just don;t think we are cut out to live in the inner city of... anywhere. The attendant problems are just overwhelming.

So, in out late summer explorations; we came across a pretty lakeside town that actually reminded us of the best of NEPA. We were able to obtain a local publication that listed circa homes, DH and I have always wanted to restore a 1920-30s Craftsman Style Shingle home, replete with hardwood floors, natural wood work, plaster walls and the open but cozy floor plan hthat is the hallmark of such homes.. We looked through this publication with eager interest and there it was - a shingle style Craftsman home with a light filled sun room a huge hearth and all of the wood work one could desire! I had been praying hard through all of this, and my wonderful Wilkes-Barre Church has been praying too, This seemed like nothing less than an answer to prayer! A miracle!

We visited the house and we were not disappointed! Shaded by ancient oaks with five spacious bedrooms, and eat in kitchen , leaded glass windows and and expansive partially screened porch, I could not have dreamed of a better family homestead! Original doors and a porch swing that sat on the screened in part of the porch, were magical touches.

Our offer has been accepted and it looks as though we should be in the home before Christmas!

We will miss our friends and especially our wonderful church family.

We are eternally grateful for the support that so many of you have provided to us during this ordeal. I am afraid to name names for fear that I will leave someone out. Instead, I will send each of you a little note of sincere thanks. We have been offered everything from leads on houses, to actual places to stay - some, from people who we have never met!

I think that's pertty awesome, and it speakes well of the good and kind people you are the heart of NEPA.

But that "never met" part? We want to change that. So if any one has an idea for a meetup place? We are game! We want to meet all of you. We will not be strangers to the area either. We and our children will be returning to some of our favorite haunts, Bart and Urby's , Rodano's and others to meet with friends. We also just love the history, the people and the beautiful and embracing and mountains that surround the Valley.

Knoble's Amusment Park ROCKS! Well be back for that each summer!

We will also never forget and are still enjoying NEPA fanorites such has Haluski, Pierogies and Old Forge Pizza! We made Boilio this past Christmas and that's something I am taking with us!

SO? Meet up ideas anyone?

Last edited by sheena12; 09-16-2012 at 06:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 06:43 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,137,228 times
Congratulations on your new house. I presume that we will still hear from you. Let us know what you think of Ohio.

I loved their roadwork. I like to watch workers that have a game plan and work efficiently. Most of my experience with Ohio was with trucking. It was one of the few states that I would see whole families in the truck stops, for a meal, before or after church. It seemed very family oriented.

Good luck and have a safe and easy move.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:41 PM

2,760 posts, read 3,953,372 times
Wishing you and your family nothing but happiness!

Old 09-16-2012, 08:11 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,898,316 times
Congrats! Please keep in touch here and let us know how you are.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:11 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,102,301 times
Great news!

I'm so happy for you Sheena!

Old 09-17-2012, 06:57 AM

3,963 posts, read 2,350,127 times
That is wonderful news!! Godspeed on your journey It's going to take us a while to find our nirvana but I am glad that you found your piece of it.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:06 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Congratulations! I hope everything goes well for you and your family!

Old 09-17-2012, 07:48 AM

30,522 posts, read 16,217,604 times
Wishing the best for you, Sheena.
Sorry WB didn't work out but does sound like in the big picture it was for the best.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:25 AM

109 posts, read 162,952 times
Sounds wonderful! Congrats guys and good luck with everything!

Old 09-17-2012, 09:39 AM

5,300 posts, read 6,179,553 times
What do you plan on doing with your WB house? If you think that you will have a hard time selling it and will have to take a big loss in order to sell it, you might want to consider renting it.

You can deduct up to $25,000 per year from your US income tax for expenses related to rental property, including repairs, management fees, depreciation, etc. AND travel expenses to inspect your property.

Sorry about your sad experiences here and I sincerely hope things work out better for you in Ohio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania