U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 02:27 PM

13 posts, read 16,907 times

Advertisements

My husband has the possibility of transferring jobs to Duryea, Is that a nice area to work? He's mostly in the field at peoples homes. Is it safe?

We were looking at houses and Laurel Run seems nice...Is it? Is it in a flood zone? does anyone have a link of where did or did flood in that general area?

We'd use the Wilkes-Barre Target and Walmart for shopping occasionally (according to google) But I'm hearing negative things about Wilkes-Barre. Would it be safe for just driving through and shopping?

We have 3 small children and are planning on homeschooling. Were also considering moving to Indiana, but I like PA. (we currently live in Philly)

Thanks

ETA: we are looking for a couple of acres of land 3 bedroom+ and around $150 or less....less is nice.

Last edited by dakotabluebaby; 09-25-2012 at 02:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 03:23 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,836,150 times
Laurel Run is at the top of the East Mountain and is nice but heavily wooded and expensive. You may find a house for around $150,000 and expect to have a septic tank and well water. It is no where near any major water source that could cause flooding. It is quite a nice area if you like backwoods and nature but in the winter it gets a bit icy and cold up there. There aren't too many houses though and finding one available may be difficult, most run $200,000 or more.

If you do search there, be mindful of the Freight train rail line that runs nightly behind some houses on Pine Run Rd. or you may have your peace and quiet disturbed frequently. All in all, a nice area that I would live myself if a house for the right price emerged.

Old 09-25-2012, 03:27 PM

Wilkes-Barre gets a bad rap and of course me saying that will bring out all the trolls. Yes, there are some dicey areas that you wouldn't want to live but going there to shop you should have no problems. The Wyoming Valley Mall is quite nice actually as is the whole shopping hub around it. I shop there every weekend and have never been afraid to get out of my car lol. I am heading there right now actually, I just need to find my shotgun

Old 09-25-2012, 03:36 PM

2,095 posts, read 2,245,335 times
Target, Walmart, etc. are actually in Wilkes-Barre Twp., so you won't be in the "worse" areas of Wilkes-Barre.

Isn't there a mine fire in Laurel Run?

Old 09-25-2012, 05:21 PM

The mine fire is just East of Georgetown at the bottom. The Army Corps did a containment project in 1973 injecting silt and other non combustible earth in a man made void in the coal seam. The seam also lies along the bottom and extends towards 81, not up towards where the houses are. The reason they did the containment was to make sure the fire did not extend beneath 81 which would pose a threat for obvious reasons. I have never seen any evidence of the fire up in the heights of Laurel Run but you can see burning still coming through the ground around Georgetown.

Here is a picture taken just West of Laurel Run Trailer Park

Old 09-25-2012, 10:27 PM

32,803 posts, read 32,460,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotabluebaby View Post
My husband has the possibility of transferring jobs to Duryea, Is that a nice area to work? He's mostly in the field at peoples homes. Is it safe?
Compared to what? Generally speaking most of the places in this area could be deemed safe comparatively.

Quote:
We were looking at houses and Laurel Run seems nice...Is it? Is it in a flood zone? does anyone have a link of where did or did flood in that general area?
No it isn't in the flood zone, not even close. If that were flooded a good portion of the East coast would be under water. Nearly the entire area is protected by a levee system that was nearly topped this last flood. That type of flood is rare, it was many feet higher than the one in 72. There is always a risk here but it's minimal. A flood that would top the levees might occur next week but more likely will occur sometime within the next 300 years.

Quote:
ETA: we are looking for a couple of acres of land 3 bedroom+ and around $150 or less....less is nice.
There is lot of areas close to Duyea semi rural like Harding, Thornhurst, Ransom etc.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:41 AM

2,095 posts, read 2,245,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkey View Post
The mine fire is just East of Georgetown at the bottom. The Army Corps did a containment project in 1973 injecting silt and other non combustible earth in a man made void in the coal seam. The seam also lies along the bottom and extends towards 81, not up towards where the houses are. The reason they did the containment was to make sure the fire did not extend beneath 81 which would pose a threat for obvious reasons. I have never seen any evidence of the fire up in the heights of Laurel Run but you can see burning still coming through the ground around Georgetown.

Interesting

I've heard people say that they can see smoke while riding from the Back Mountain toward Wilkes-Barre on the Cross Valley, but I've never seen it myself.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:33 AM

32,803 posts, read 32,460,176 times
It wouldn't be smoke they see but steam which is going to be mixed with sulfuric gas and some other not so nice stuff, anthracite coal doesn't produce a visible smoke when burned. It's not really the coal burning as much as the gas which can make it's way into the surrounding rock since it's porous.

There is a brief history here:

Laurel Run

These fire happen more often that people realize but they get right on them and put them out. They aren't hard to start accidentally, the Centralia mine fire was started from the town dump which caught on fire. Here's one from Olyphant they put out a few years ago:

Olyphant Mine Fire

This is all rock in this first picture, it's isn't coal:

Old 09-27-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Compared to what? Generally speaking most of the places in this area could be deemed safe comparatively.

No it isn't in the flood zone, not even close. If that were flooded a good portion of the East coast would be under water. Nearly the entire area is protected by a levee system that was nearly topped this last flood. That type of flood is rare, it was many feet higher than the one in 72. There is always a risk here but it's minimal. A flood that would top the levees might occur next week but more likely will occur sometime within the next 300 years.

There is lot of areas close to Duyea semi rural like Harding, Thornhurst, Ransom etc.
Safe as in, he'll be safe walking the streets in most all areas.

Thanks, I'm so unsure about where was flooded and where wasn't. Especially with houses on the market KWIM.

Is there anywhere else in particular you'd recommend?

Old 09-27-2012, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Laurel Run is at the top of the East Mountain and is nice but heavily wooded and expensive. You may find a house for around $150,000 and expect to have a septic tank and well water. It is no where near any major water source that could cause flooding. It is quite a nice area if you like backwoods and nature but in the winter it gets a bit icy and cold up there. There aren't too many houses though and finding one available may be difficult, most run $200,000 or more.

If you do search there, be mindful of the Freight train rail line that runs nightly behind some houses on Pine Run Rd. or you may have your peace and quiet disturbed frequently. All in all, a nice area that I would live myself if a house for the right price emerged.
Thanks!

Quote:

That's fascinating. Thank you. Do you think those areas would affect asthmatics?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania