Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 12:15 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times

Advertisements

I have posted in a lot of forums/fora (take your pick) in C/D. The NEPA thread is probably the least offensive of most of those I've visited. There are some people who are deliberately attempting to be offensive. There are some people who take offense at everything. Or nothing.

I am not easily offended. It offends me when someone questions my veracity. It offends me when someone posts something that stretches the limits of credulity. Otherwise, I can't possibly take offense by a statement from someone who doesn't know me and whom I don't know.

Our personae herewith presented on the forum are not always what we are in our face-to-face interaction, and I take that into account when deciding if I am being insulted. There have only been two posters on the NEPA forum who have offended me by insulting my intelligence. Not bad for the over three years I've been a member of this group.

I think I would like to meet all of the posters here, including the two I previously mentioned, and I think I'd probably enjoy the experience.

Despite others' opinions, I don't think the NEPA sub-forum is overly-moderated. For the most part, TBT lets us express ourselves pretty broadly, except when a tattle-tale reports what they think is unpardonable self-expression.

Most days, I like it here. I like the people here. Even the ones who think they, and only they, have all the answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 12:47 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
I'm a retired truck driver. I have been mooned by a whole school bus down in Miami. I smile and wave when I get the finger – I think is actually makes them angrier. My skin is pretty thick and my neck might be a little red.

Years ago me and my partner were driving through Cookeville Tennessee on Interstate 40. My partner was driving and I was in the passenger seat. I pointed to a Cracker Barrel restaurant and asked my partner if he had ever eaten at one. At the time I pointed; there was a young man merging onto I – 40. He thought that I had given him the middle finger. He then decided to fly around us and slam on his brakes. My partner did a great job trying to stop – but would not have been able to stop in time; if this guy did not decide to again start moving. My partner and I were looking right over our hood at the guy driving, his young wife along side of him and two small girls in the back seat!

I guess the point that I am trying to make is that it doesn't pay to get offended. Offended in the TN case could have gotten a whole family killed.

Old 09-26-2012, 01:57 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,384,486 times
Thank you Gypsy and trust me when I say that meeting me is an experience unto itself.

Last edited by julian17033; 09-26-2012 at 02:05 PM..

Old 09-26-2012, 02:19 PM

2,473 posts, read 5,454,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I have posted in a lot of forums/fora (take your pick) in C/D. The NEPA thread is probably the least offensive of most of those I've visited. There are some people who are deliberately attempting to be offensive. There are some people who take offense at everything. Or nothing.

I am not easily offended. It offends me when someone questions my veracity. It offends me when someone posts something that stretches the limits of credulity. Otherwise, I can't possibly take offense by a statement from someone who doesn't know me and whom I don't know.

Our personae herewith presented on the forum are not always what we are in our face-to-face interaction, and I take that into account when deciding if I am being insulted. There have only been two posters on the NEPA forum who have offended me by insulting my intelligence. Not bad for the over three years I've been a member of this group.

I think I would like to meet all of the posters here, including the two I previously mentioned, and I think I'd probably enjoy the experience.

Despite others' opinions, I don't think the NEPA sub-forum is overly-moderated. For the most part, TBT lets us express ourselves pretty broadly, except when a tattle-tale reports what they think is unpardonable self-expression.

Most days, I like it here. I like the people here. Even the ones who think they, and only they, have all the answers.
I'm offended that you're not offended!!! I'm gonna tattle on you!!!

(Now, for those with enquiring minds, WTF is a "tattle"???)

Old 09-26-2012, 02:31 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
I'm offended that you're not offended!!! I'm gonna tattle on you!!!

(Now, for those with enquiring minds, WTF is a "tattle"???)
I could tell you, but you might be offended....lol

Old 09-26-2012, 03:38 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
I like it here too. Yes, there are times I become offended by what I read. There are real people behind the screens and I assume the things they post, they believe. But that doesn't mean I think everything I disagree with is report-worthy either.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:20 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
I've had the pleasure thus far of meeting weluvpa in real life, along with NYRangers 2008, scrantonluna, rockky, Retired Law 08, and a few others. I'd love to meet everyone! I'm not as big of a jerk as I come across online---promise!

Old 09-26-2012, 07:27 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I've had the pleasure thus far of meeting weluvpa in real life, along with NYRangers 2008, scrantonluna, rockky, Retired Law 08, and a few others. I'd love to meet everyone! I'm not as big of a jerk as I come across online---promise!
I'll second that....Your a young egg, but a good one in my book..

Old 09-27-2012, 01:55 AM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I like it here too. Yes, there are times I become offended by what I read. There are real people behind the screens and I assume the things they post, they believe. But that doesn't mean I think everything I disagree with is report-worthy either.
I agree. There are times when I've been chided, made fun of and reprimanded on this forum. There are only three of you and you are all using my ignore feature, BTW.

But yes there is a report button, and some behavior and words are not acceptable.

Like anyone who wants to hitch a ride to OHIO and haunt us there? Pathetic. But hey, I got that taken care of already.

I bought a beautiful Gordon van Tine circa 1926 home that is close to the city but not in the middle of it.

Am I excited? You betcha.

Calling people tattle tales is a tad third grade. City Data has that mechanism and our mods encourage it's use.

Just behave. Use common courtesy. It's simple. I came to city data to find out about a new area. I stayed because I realised that there was more to CD than moving. And there were other forums, not moving oriented.

I at first thought that this was a forum for adults who wanted to exchange information and perhaps debate a bit. I didn't think that it was a plase for the expression of cruelty or pathological rage.

And when I see that? I hit report.

"Strong people build others up. Weak people put others down."

Old 09-27-2012, 04:07 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I think I would be too nervous to meet IRL (not just you, anyone here on CD). I tend to be shy, face to face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania