Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 06:03 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,092,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
Regionalization is not popular in this area because there's too many "big fish in little ponds" that don't want to give up their fiefdoms. All these Barney Fife police chiefs of all the little boroughs and townships don't want to lose their power and possibly be demoted in a regionalized police force. PA needs to consolidate police, fire, and school districts on a county-wide basis as they do in Maryland. It would cut out a lot of unnecessary administration and school board members who are only in it to make money for themselves and their cronies.
I'm just reporting an example of where it didn't work, and what I've observed and been told at municipal meetings. I have no dog in this fight. I barely live in NEPA and with any luck will be out of the region in the next year or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 03:21 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,211,209 times
I am not fond of regionalization because it causes more issues than it solves. I am not related to nor do I know anyone in law enforcement. Oh, I take that back - one of my son's classmates has a father who is a cop.

Old 10-18-2012, 04:25 PM

539 posts, read 1,065,006 times
Usually around Christmas, they suspend the fees for downtown parking and the meters, which makes it more desirable to shop downtown. This lasts until around Jan. 2nd.
I listen to the police sometimes in the evening on my handheld ham radio while on the computer, and some nights are busier than others, mostly summer weekends. Last night there were long periods of silence, sometimes for 20 minutes when nothing was going on. If they organized the load better, they wouldn't need as many on the streets at certain times, and save them for the peak times. I rarely ever see a cop when driving around. About a month or so ago, my wife got upset about some kids playing ball in the street and walking onto people's properties. When one of them mouthed off at her, she got upset and called the cops. They asked if she would like to speak to an officer, she said yes and that they would send one by. No one ever came, and she waited outside a couple hours.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank754 View Post
Usually around Christmas, they suspend the fees for downtown parking and the meters, which makes it more desirable to shop downtown. This lasts until around Jan. 2nd.
I listen to the police sometimes in the evening on my handheld ham radio while on the computer, and some nights are busier than others, mostly summer weekends. Last night there were long periods of silence, sometimes for 20 minutes when nothing was going on. If they organized the load better, they wouldn't need as many on the streets at certain times, and save them for the peak times. I rarely ever see a cop when driving around. About a month or so ago, my wife got upset about some kids playing ball in the street and walking onto people's properties. When one of them mouthed off at her, she got upset and called the cops. They asked if she would like to speak to an officer, she said yes and that they would send one by. No one ever came, and she waited outside a couple hours.
This is par for the course for WBPD. WBFD, though their response time is fast, can do with a little attitude adjustment towards residents too. Both departments have major issues with the way they address residents - the people they serve. They cry and complain about how unfairly they are treated, yet today in the TL, it was stated that many of them make more than the mayor, who IMO, is overpaid.

There have been NUMEROUS times that I, or someone I know, has called WBPD and no one has ever showed up. I don't understand it.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:25 AM

16,214 posts, read 11,278,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Yes, because the privatized juvie center worked so well. Look at what is happened to Berks and Lehigh County's crime rates. Look at how the Poconos has become a magnet for criminals. Yes, let's follow their leads.
You seemed to have overlooked the multiple killings in Plymuoth (another municipality that, along with Section 8 haven Larksville) could use a lot less government and a lot more accountability.

Ovberbuilt, inefficient and corrupt government drives potential economic development away, whether on an international or local scale; it is, unfortunately, that simple.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
You seemed to have overlooked the multiple killings in Plymuoth (another municipality that, along with Section 8 haven Larksville) could use a lot less government and a lot more accountability.

Ovberbuilt, inefficient and corrupt government drives potential economic development away, whether on an international or local scale; it is, unfortunately, that simple.
How did I overlook anything? Plymouth suffers from a LACK of a police force, not an overabundance of one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania