U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 09:45 AM

20,303 posts, read 19,855,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abundantly_Above View Post
Still waiting to hear about these magical cities where there is no government corruption...I wasn't aware that was a NEPA-specific problem.
How many other areas do judges trade kids for cash? How many other areas do teen girls have to have sex with the Fire Chief and the Chief of police to get to be on the volunteer fire department? Wyoming an Officer was fired for taking teen girls behind the Midway shopping center to work off their speeding tickets. Then there is Exeter and West Wyoming. Pittston is a real haven too isn't it. Sherman Hills!!!
Please show me where I or anyone else claimed that no corruption existed anywhere else. This thread topic is about moving to the area. People should know what they are getting into.
Back Mountain you get away from it a little at least.
I would probably choose the Abington Area if I wanted to stay close to Scranton, Back mountain if I wanted to be close to Wilkes-Barre. I would avoid all those patch towns in-between.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 09:36 AM

28,192 posts, read 21,434,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Defensive much? So live there. No one tried to get you to move, but before someone moves there and invests in a home, maybe they should hear about some of the issues that they will be forced to live with.
If they came from a place with even a semi-professional police force they will be a little disappointed in that area. There is corruption no matter where you go. Most places have the class to at least try and hide it and not defend it.

It was a big joke when the county Treasurer got caught hunting over bait. The same guy who for years was the guy you went to on the side for a doe license. Same guy who helped friends get public sector jobs and contracts. Everyone knew about it.
Wilkes-Barre and Scranton and all those little patch towns in between would make for good comedy if it weren't so tragic.
I don't hate NEPA, but I do see it for what it is.
I wouldn't say defensive. I would describe my attitude as being rooted in irritation, a bit of anger and pride in my city.

Irritation: I'm irritated with people like you and Cpt. Trips who insist there can be nothing good about this area. I'm also irritated with people who refuse to do a thing to help the area. Whether its becoming a more proactive citizen via voting intelligently or attending municipal meetings or working with groups to better the area. Hell, even utilizing the assets that we do have in this area would help! But no these apathetic residents would rather sit in their homes, complain, complain, complain.

Anger: I'm angry with our city leadership for continuing to act as if nothing is wrong. While I certainly can't blame them for having their hands tied as far as getting rid of the criminals (there are laws you know) it would be nice to hear from our council members and other representatives. What are they doing to get this city better? I'm angry with people who move here and bring their violence here. I'm angry with parents who are too busy to care about their children.

Pride: I have pride in this city. It was built on the backs of coal miners, dressmakers and other blue collar workers. We have a distinct history here that is actually quite interesting when you get into it. We have many pluses here that I've mentioned over and over again. I firmly believe this city has a lot of character and potential.

I didn't realize it was classy to hide corruption. Corruption - hidden or flaunted - is wrong and should be fought against. I see NEPA for what it is too but I think one's perspective is dependent on what they choose to see.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
How many other areas do judges trade kids for cash? How many other areas do teen girls have to have sex with the Fire Chief and the Chief of police to get to be on the volunteer fire department? Wyoming an Officer was fired for taking teen girls behind the Midway shopping center to work off their speeding tickets. Then there is Exeter and West Wyoming. Pittston is a real haven too isn't it. Sherman Hills!!!
Please show me where I or anyone else claimed that no corruption existed anywhere else. This thread topic is about moving to the area. People should know what they are getting into.
Back Mountain you get away from it a little at least.
I would probably choose the Abington Area if I wanted to stay close to Scranton, Back mountain if I wanted to be close to Wilkes-Barre. I would avoid all those patch towns in-between.

Start reading the local papers of other areas. Follow them on Facebook. I guarantee all of the small town problems you've mentioned here happen in many, many other areas.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:01 PM

20,303 posts, read 19,855,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I wouldn't say defensive. I would describe my attitude as being rooted in irritation, a bit of anger and pride in my city.

Irritation: I'm irritated with people like you and Cpt. Trips who insist there can be nothing good about this area. I'm also irritated with people who refuse to do a thing to help the area. Whether its becoming a more proactive citizen via voting intelligently or attending municipal meetings or working with groups to better the area. Hell, even utilizing the assets that we do have in this area would help! But no these apathetic residents would rather sit in their homes, complain, complain, complain.

Anger: I'm angry with our city leadership for continuing to act as if nothing is wrong. While I certainly can't blame them for having their hands tied as far as getting rid of the criminals (there are laws you know) it would be nice to hear from our council members and other representatives. What are they doing to get this city better? I'm angry with people who move here and bring their violence here. I'm angry with parents who are too busy to care about their children.

Pride: I have pride in this city. It was built on the backs of coal miners, dressmakers and other blue collar workers. We have a distinct history here that is actually quite interesting when you get into it. We have many pluses here that I've mentioned over and over again. I firmly believe this city has a lot of character and potential.

I didn't realize it was classy to hide corruption. Corruption - hidden or flaunted - is wrong and should be fought against. I see NEPA for what it is too but I think one's perspective is dependent on what they choose to see.
Like I said. People should know both sides, not just the sweet nice looking houses side. Read my posts. I said it is a beautiful area. There I have proven you only read bad in a post because it isn't completely positive. I grew up in Wyoming. While in the service I would tell people about where i grew up. Everyone does. They were shocked at the tales of police corruption. In a big city you might see it so obvious and in the open, but normally small towns are clean or at least less obvious. It is a mentality. The mentality that it has always been that way, so what's the big deal?Funny you should mention coal miners. I call it the coal miner mentality. My daddy did that way so I have to do it that way.
It is a beautiful area when you get away from all the patch towns. You can have neighboring towns and completely different slang. hanna or no. couple two tree. hatche poison shoemac. LOL Remember I grew up there and lived there until 1998. I know all about the dirty side to that area. Having actually lived in other places I know 1 fact and that is that NEPA is no heaven on earth and many places are much better.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:10 PM

331 posts, read 548,644 times
I never understood the "built on the backs of blue collar workers" thing. You can say that of pretty much any American town.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchawg View Post
I never understood the "built on the backs of blue collar workers" thing. You can say that of pretty much any American town.

So? Does it make it any less true?

Most American families have similar histories. Does it make the history any less special to an individual family?

Old 07-23-2014, 10:05 PM

331 posts, read 548,644 times
It's true, but the same can be said of literally any american town. That's my point. It's not a distinguishing feature.

Old 07-24-2014, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchawg View Post
It's true, but the same can be said of literally any american town. That's my point. It's not a distinguishing feature.
No but its still something that I look upon with pride. The history of our area is, to me, very interesting and full of historical figures that we can be proud of. JMO I wasn't using the fact as a lure to get people to move here just giving a reason why I was proud of my hometown. .

Old 08-07-2014, 05:39 PM

10 posts, read 10,703 times
Welcome enjoy PA!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or