Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 07:00 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,381,971 times

Advertisements

It started raining here in Southern Allentown about 30 mts ago.

My wife loves to go to the Yankee Candle store at Tannersville Outlets.
Because of this we have approx twenty large candles in glass jars that we have at the ready.

I believe at some point during this storm we will lose power, it's just a matter of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 08:17 AM

811 posts, read 1,386,091 times
I'll take loss of power any day over flooding, so I'm almost relieved. My only concern would be if we get water in our basement and have no power to run the pump. We don't have a generator, and of course there are none to be found in the area. Storm winds have always made me nervous since I was a kid, so it looks like I'll be wearing earplugs Monday night! :-)

Old 10-28-2012, 09:02 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,137,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odessa3 View Post
I'll take loss of power any day over flooding, so I'm almost relieved. My only concern would be if we get water in our basement and have no power to run the pump. We don't have a generator, and of course there are none to be found in the area. Storm winds have always made me nervous since I was a kid, so it looks like I'll be wearing earplugs Monday night! :-)

Buckets , work... Check out a rental yard ... they might have a generator ..

Old 10-28-2012, 09:52 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,101,115 times
It's creepy out right now. Talk about the "calm" before the storm. There's a weird stillness in the air. Sprinkled a little here this morning but right now we just have a slight wind. We're ready though.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:57 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
I'm ready but you need to set priorities, I stocked up on the Yuengling Black and Tan first.

Other than that I have 7 gallons of fuel in the generator, 7 more in gas cans. Car is gassed, stack of cash in the wallet. Fridge is stocked, pantry was already stocked. Propane for the grill etc. Also bought a brand new chainsaw because I needed one for while now, I guess there was no better time than now.

Everything outside is secure, checked the gutters and took care of some other minor odds and ends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odessa3 View Post
They have pumps with a battery backup and others that run on water pressure from the street main. I don't know how effective they are or how much the cost is compared to electric. It's something to look at as long as you have water from the street. Might be useful if the sump pump fails, not so sure I'd want to run the well pump for that though.

I'd also recommend getting a cheap regular pump, they aren't automatic or submersible but if your other pumps fails which it will at some point in time in the future you'll be glad you have it. They had them at Harbor Freight, think I paid $30 for the one we got. It works well enough.

Old 10-28-2012, 02:33 PM

101 posts, read 173,721 times
I'm really not happy about this. I had to evacuate last year for Irene, but I live in South WB, so we didn't get flooded or lose power. The reason why I'm mad/concerned is the power. I work from home as a contract employee, and while my boss understands that I may not be available (he may not be either, as he's based in New York), I lose pay every day I can't work this power outage goes on. I'm not like most people who will be paid vacation time and PTO if they miss work from the storm. This could mean loss of income for me, and I'm not happy because I doubt the credit card companies and my student loan lender will care that I can't pay the bill because I missed a ton of work.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:23 PM

47 posts, read 79,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackGoldPride View Post
I doubt the credit card companies and my student loan lender will care that I can't pay the bill because I missed a ton of work.
nobodys fault but your own, but there's a lot of other irresponsible, buck passing folks like yourself occupying wallstreet. maybe you can head up there and find a shoulder to cry on? just a thought.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:56 PM

452 posts, read 681,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackGoldPride View Post
I'm really not happy about this. I had to evacuate last year for Irene, but I live in South WB, so we didn't get flooded or lose power. The reason why I'm mad/concerned is the power. I work from home as a contract employee, and while my boss understands that I may not be available (he may not be either, as he's based in New York), I lose pay every day I can't work this power outage goes on. I'm not like most people who will be paid vacation time and PTO if they miss work from the storm. This could mean loss of income for me, and I'm not happy because I doubt the credit card companies and my student loan lender will care that I can't pay the bill because I missed a ton of work.
Boo- Hoo. Poor you. Why not take the money you save on the cost of commuting to work like everyone else and buy a generator so you would be prepared for situations like this? If you went thru this once before, ya think you would have figured this out. Don't worry, I'm sure when the emergency crews are risking their lives to get the area back on it's feet, you'll be on the top of their priority list.

Old 10-28-2012, 04:23 PM

2,362 posts, read 5,137,741 times
I guess no one SAVES money for a rainy day anymore ...

Old 10-28-2012, 05:06 PM

2,095 posts, read 3,101,115 times
Still just have spooky winds. No rain here. How about anyone else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania