Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 07:04 PM

154 posts, read 407,838 times

Advertisements

So here we go again. The neighbor is being a major hemorrhoidal A-*#hole. He hung tires---HUGE tires----on the telephone pole in MY driveway. Off of the spikes on the pole. Not only is this intrusive, but it's a liability, imho, if it falls on somebody---me, my kids, my dog, any passersby.

So I called the police this a.m. on my way to work. When I got home, the tires were down. One in the alley against a fence; one in my driveway.

An hour ago, they were back up on the pole

I called the police again.

The one that came to investigate said:

"Unless you have proof who did it (I KNOW who did it!!!)---we can't do anything but take the tire down. And don't call us again if it goes back UP again---there's really nothing we can do about it.

So I said: "What if it falls on somebody? isn't it a liability?"

"I see your point," he said. But really, we can't keep coming out to take down the tires.

"Well, I can't do it," I said, "I can't get up there to reach it."

"I hear you," he said, "but you can't keep calling us." (called them: once this a.m.; once tonight)

He pulled the tires off of the pole, put them against the fence, and left. He also said: ""Even if you had a picture of the guy doing this, and we took it to the magistrate, it wouldn't mean anything....it's not a felony, it's not even a summary offense...the guy wouldn't get nothin'...."

Is that true? Somebody could do ANYthing like this and get away with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 07:27 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,986,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorac07 View Post
So here we go again. The neighbor is being a major hemorrhoidal A-*#hole. He hung tires---HUGE tires----on the telephone pole in MY driveway. Off of the spikes on the pole. Not only is this intrusive, but it's a liability, imho, if it falls on somebody---me, my kids, my dog, any passersby.

So I called the police this a.m. on my way to work. When I got home, the tires were down. One in the alley against a fence; one in my driveway.

"Unless you have proof who did it (I KNOW who did it!!!)---we can't do anything but take the tire down. And don't call us again if it goes back UP again---there's really nothing we can do about it.

"I see your point," he said. But really, we can't keep coming out to take down the tires.

"I hear you," he said, "but you can't keep calling us." (called them: once this a.m.; once tonight)

He pulled the tires off of the pole, put them against the fence, and left. He also said: ""Even if you had a picture of the guy doing this, and we took it to the magistrate, it wouldn't mean anything....it's not a felony, it's not even a summary offense...the guy wouldn't get nothin'...."

Try to determine who owns the pole (power co, telco, etc). There should be a metal tag on it with an abbreviation indicating the owner, and a pole number. Most likely, its the local power company. If there are only telephone wires on the pole, its probably the local telco. Call them and complain about the tires every time it happens. Tell them you know who's doing it. They might go after him.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:45 PM

207 posts, read 284,666 times
Honestly, and it sounds childish, but I would take the tires for your own. Just make sure your neighbor isn't looking so that way there is no proof in case he decides to report them missing.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:35 AM

39 posts, read 86,395 times
I agree with Mike. Get rid of the tires. If they're not there, he can't hang them back on the pole. Some fights are just not worth the energy.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:31 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
The only problem is the mentality that you are dealing with. Is this your new home or old one? What I guess I am asking is if this is a secluded setting for your problems?

Security cameras could possibly help – but could also be a target. It is wise to try to document the problem. Keep your cameras or camera phones on the ready. It is hard to get any response without evidence.

I don't think that our utility companies will help – especially after Sandy. Right now they have sent their workers to NY and NJ.

Do you know the reason that they are harassing you? Have you had words with them? Did you build on property that they previously hunted or used for their own benefit? Is it possible that they just don't want people close enough to them to see what they are doing? Or, maybe, it was kids just thinking that is is a great Halloween prank?

Last edited by fisheye; 11-10-2012 at 06:58 AM.. Reason: Confused the OP - sorry.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:41 AM

154 posts, read 407,838 times
I've lived here since the early 80s. I've never had words with him. He's just a nut. I could write books about his antics. Some are just stupid, like how he constantly hangs things on his fence, the neighbors fence, and that pole. Some things are weird, like when he hung his newly shorn, long gray frizzy hair on a ham bone. But he's also taunted and harrassed my very young looking ,(though legal age),daughter....."do ya waana come PLAY with me?" That time, the police DID go talk to him and give him a warning. He's stolen my garbage cans (they were on top of his truck). He's put nails under my tires. He blows air horns All hrs of the day and night. In short, he is a major nuisance---and we all think he is certifiably crazy. Yet somehow, he gets away with all of this.

Last edited by lorac07; 11-10-2012 at 06:43 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-10-2012, 06:47 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
You might in a normal time...rather than now during a disaster clean-up....Get more help from your utility company. They wouldn't want the liability for this I'm sure.

Call them, take a picture, tell them your concerns for safety. As far as getting rid of the tires...Make sure you wouldn't get charged for stealing...IF the cops told you they didn't know whose tires they are, then you're probably ok. But, maybe call the one officer and ask.

This guy is certifiable if he does the things you say. You can't reason w/ crasy. Best thing you can do is not be his target, scarey. I cannot imagine what I'd do if he said that to my daughter.

I had a guy next door to me when my kids were in junior high. We had just gone through a flood ....and nothing brings out crazy behavior worse than a disaster...For years this guy would park his car in front of our house constantly...He would literally wait for us then pull around right in front of our house.

He was obsessed w/ his car...He would be out in the rain towel drying it through the rain storm. He had a empty driveway and as a corner house, the whole corner to park on...But, he took some weird pleasure out of making sure after I clean the snow to park ...he'd whip in where I'd cleaned, in front of my house.

This had gone on again all year. Then the flood that spring, everyone was initially displaced for awhile. Anyway...He got back to his old tricks...parked right in front of my house again...Only this time he was obsessing even more...out there re-parking, checking on it all the time...I would guess OCD or some sort of compulsive disorder. Which isn't a thing...it is how a person treats others that matters.

So, my son, 13 was mowing our lawn...The guy comes out, stalks right up to my son... and starts yelling at my son about possibly getting dirt on his car when he was mowing the berm in front of our house. I saw this...and Well, I had finally had it. I went out there and told that Guy...Nobody talks to my kid like that. And if he had a problem he better come to me...And if he did anything else I was calling the cops and telling them how friggin crazy he is.

Well, it wasn't long and they moved...I think I scared him. I think he though that he had been keeping himself together, and he hadn't been for a few years...That's what I think scared him, he knew it was up....Not sure if that would work for you. Do you know if this guy has had criminal charges or complaints before?? He sounds scarey...

Last edited by JanND; 11-10-2012 at 07:11 AM.. Reason: edit

Old 11-10-2012, 07:23 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
Quote:
I've lived here since the early 80s. I've never had words with him. He's just a nut. I could write books about his antics. Some are just stupid, like how he constantly hangs things on his fence, the neighbors fence, and that pole. Some things are weird, like when he hung his newly shorn, long gray frizzy hair on a ham bone. But he's also taunted and harrassed my very young looking ,(though legal age),daughter....."do ya waana come PLAY with me?" That time, the police DID go talk to him and give him a warning. He's stolen my garbage cans (they were on top of his truck). He's put nails under my tires. He blows air horns All hrs of the day and night. In short, he is a major nuisance---and we all think he is certifiably crazy. Yet somehow, he gets away with all of this.
In some weird way; this guy sounds as if he is looking for your or your daughter's attention. Just be very careful and make sure you document everything. Take pictures, when possible, and keep a log of the times and trouble that he has given you. Make sure you keep a record of the times that you have sought police intervention.

Good luck and be careful!

Old 11-10-2012, 09:40 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
Quote:

OP has said that he/she can't reach the tires.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:30 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,086,429 times
i empathize with you---sadly--i fear he has several relatives like him throughout this valley(i think i have one of them as a neighbor)-----it's worse if one owns one's home and cannot move
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania