Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 01:51 AM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Anyhoo, I was surprised to see this one pop up on New Posts. I only lived in Luzerne County for a few months, but did experience some paranormal stuff up in Bear Creek Village. And quite a few people told me about experiences they had there also, including a few sightings in the tiny cemetery, in people's homes, proddings and pushings etc.

The house I stayed in had a lot of strange noises, but once I heard actual clear footsteps in the second floor. I said "enough is enough" and rushed upstairs with my pistol, but of course there was no one, and no place for anyone to hide. Another time a guest told me that she felt something at the top of the staircase trying to push her down.

The area has quite a history with Injuns, settlers, maybe some Civil War action, and the terrible suffering lives of those unfortunate coal miners. However lots of places have history but don't seem to hold on to the ones who have passed, quite as much.

I don't think of the area as unmitigated evil, when I look with my spiritual eye there's a pattern of light and dark areas over the county.

Exactly. Lots of places have history and they do not HOLD PEOPLE CAPTIVE and REGARD WITH SUSPICION ALL NEW COMERS.

I thought that the town in which I grew up had a bit of a hold on people. Historic and old, and very beautiful, there could be reasons that people would want to live there.

There is more than history holding people here. And keeping people out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 05:50 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
The coal mines sure were responsible for a tremendous amount of suffering. They're one of my favorite examples for why unregulated capitalism is a bad idea.
Now this is a statement I agree with!

Old 03-16-2013, 01:01 PM

2 posts, read 3,265 times
Default So I'm not the only one who feels this way

I moved here from California 19 years ago. I've had nothing but bad luck sense I moved here. Everything about me has gone down-hill.. my personality, depression, bad luck, broken marriage.. I'm constantly sick.. I was never this way in California. I feel a very negative force here... I see nothing but darkness... I feel it everywhere.. especially in Luzerne county.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
There is a house on Elizabeth St. That I left in a hurry after seeing the third floor. Then I googled the address and what I found confirmed my feelings.

We were also shown a house on Birch St where a brutal murder had taken place. I had never heard of it at the time. My RE agent knew of my interest in such topics. He and the seller's agent told me nothing. Just that there had been a murder there.

The seller, interestingly, would not enter the house! He paced outside when we looked through it. The second I entered, I felt drawn to the master bedroom. I felt an instant headache and and felt shortness of breath. Then I found out that a dentist had beaten his wife to death with barbells and choked her!

There is also the Smurl House in West Pittston.

There were made for TV movies about both of these. I'd love to go on a haunter tour of NEPA before we move! Send me a direct message.

There are some people who believe that the Valley is a vortex of paranormal activity. I can introduce you to them too.

There are tales of suicides and strange drownings in the Susquehanna. Actually there was one last July 4th! Have you heard of water babies? The thought of them makes me shudder!

Old 03-16-2013, 01:10 PM

2 posts, read 3,265 times
I just found this site today. All I can say is wow!! I moved here about 19 years ago, and have had nothing but bad things happen to me. From the day I moved here, I could feel the darkness or "dark cloud" I am interested in hearing others experiences.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 03-16-2013 at 08:43 PM..

Old 03-16-2013, 06:39 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,084,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AML123 View Post
I just found this site today. All I can say is wow!! I moved here about 19 years ago, and have had nothing but bad things happen to me. From the day I moved here, I could feel the darkness or "dark cloud" I am interested in hearing others experiences.
i moved back here a little over 2 yrs ago and have been overwhelmed with all the negativety happening around me and 2 me-----am begging grown kids to move back to past long time home where our lives were more positive---the negative forces here are so strong as to be palpable and are seen in the prevalent corruption,criminal activities and perversions of the areas' inhabitants(but there is an occasional positive person here just trying to survive

Old 03-17-2013, 12:20 AM

452 posts, read 681,738 times
^^^^Just Say No^^^^^

Old 03-17-2013, 11:40 AM

908 posts, read 1,554,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AML123 View Post
I moved here from California 19 years ago. I've had nothing but bad luck sense I moved here. Everything about me has gone down-hill.. my personality, depression, bad luck, broken marriage.. I'm constantly sick.. I was never this way in California. I feel a very negative force here... I see nothing but darkness... I feel it everywhere.. especially in Luzerne county.
Everyone I know of that moved from somewhere else feels the same. I know a couple who has traveled allover the U.S and even many countries around the world(one of them is Australian, one is from NY), and they said this area is by far the worst place they've lived. Once they're work contracts are up, they are leaving too. Almost everyone I know who move from another place has left, and the rest are planning to leave, awaiting the end of obligations that are keeping them here. We've met a few locals who want out of here too, but many feel stuck. Most have elderly family to care for that is preventing them. One of my husband's buddies(born & raised here) is so fed up with living here, especially after his layoff from a company he'd been with for decades, he's about to say to heck with it and leave even if his mother decides to stay(she has other kids to help her). I can't say I blame him. He can't throw his life away staying here in a miserable dead end place. He also told my husband of the very wicked & dark history of the area. There are some nice people here & there, but they often stay to home to avoid dealing with the very many rude, miserable folks that you encounter regularly. Not to mention the climate here is horrible, and not conducive to your overall well being.

Its gloomy & cold most of the year. That wreaks havoc on your health, and pockets(heating bills/medical bills). Many of my sister's patients are on anti-depressants because of SAD, Seasonal Affective Disorder. Many of them also have severe Vit. D deficiency, which can cause a slew of health problems. The area just doesn't get enough sunlight, and when it does it isn't adequate enough for the body to absorb what it needs. The dark climate is also a haven for "dark spirits". Everything I've been told, states that dark spirits hate bright, airy places. Since you're from Cali., I can see why the area has you feeling so bad. The area also has poor air & water quality. The Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area is #2 in the nation for high smoking rates! My child developed asthma here. The fracking Corbet loves so much is going to cause more problems which will affect more than the land owners, especially when the run-off affects people in the valley. NJ's climate & environment is much better than Pa's, and California's is much better than NJ's. I'd move back if I were you, or make a plan to. I wish I was brave enough to move to Cali. Its just too far from my immediate family, all of whom live on the east coast. I'll just go back to NJ, which has a very temperate climate with 4 distinct seasons, and MUCH better air quality, despite having many cities, and being far more developed than Pa.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:44 AM

908 posts, read 1,554,650 times
On another note, I saw "The Haunted", the Smurl house movie on YouTube. I realized 1/2 way through that I had seen the movie when I was in 4th/5th grade. It scared the mess out of me, so I covered my eyes much of the time back then. This time I saw the whole thing, and it really didn't scare me, but it was interesting. Its in 10 parts on YouTube.

The Haunted 1991 TV movie (1/10) - YouTube

Old 03-17-2013, 11:59 AM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
i moved back here a little over 2 yrs ago and have been overwhelmed with all the negativety happening around me and 2 me-----am begging grown kids to move back to past long time home where our lives were more positive---the negative forces here are so strong as to be palpable and are seen in the prevalent corruption,criminal activities and perversions of the areas' inhabitants(but there is an occasional positive person here just trying to survive
Just curious, why did you move back?

Old 03-17-2013, 12:50 PM

452 posts, read 681,738 times
One question for all you "Perceptive, in tune, in touch, aware individuals". If you folk's are all that smart and sensitive to all the bad "MoJo" in NEPA, how did you miss it when you came to see the area prior to moving here? A force as strong as you describe would have been very apparent to you the second you got out of the car. I'm the first to call NEPA a crap hole, but for reasons other than the paranormal, haunted causes you blame. Seems to me you can't accept reality and use the non-existence, faith based crapola safety net as to why the area sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania