Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 09:42 PM

9 posts, read 17,238 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. So the rent and city (Long Island) in general are KILLING US! We wanted to move into the hideout but have decided to wait for another year or so until we can afford a bigger house in there. So we decided to look into Honesdale. It will be me, fiancé and 3 boys (7,2, & 7months). I want to know what it's really like there or. PA in general. Are there good parks, good schools, is it safe? Now, I've done research online and through statistics, etc but I'd like first hand resident knowledge. Are there bike trails, anywhere to swim, basic things. Any information in general would be appreciates. Now I've been reading many forums on here for the past month or so and I'd appreciate the people who are just plain negative to not tell me to lok elsewhere without valid points. I'm coming from New York, so I'm sure it's no where near as rough or bad as it is out here. Thank you all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 04:32 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,113,852 times
Honesdale has the 2nd best schools in Pa .. Its a great little town,,, Its run by "The Good Ole Boys" But I love the area .. I also Moved from NYC ( It was 22 odd yrs ago ) Have fun,, Good Luck with your move ..

Last edited by Riverside4ever; 04-12-2013 at 04:50 AM..

Old 04-12-2013, 07:44 AM

32,606 posts, read 77,262,075 times
I absolutely love Honesdale and hope to visit the next time I'm in NEPA. If I was able to design my own Utopian small town, then it would closely resemble Honesdale. I just hope you're ready for isolation, though. You're coming from very overpopulated Long Island to a town of under 5,000 people. While the town has a few shopping amenities just outside of it you'll find yourself trekking to Dickson City/Scranton (about a 40-minute drive) for most of what you've grown accustomed to on Long Island---Target, Lowe's, Sam's Club, Olive Garden, etc. One fatal mistake most from NY/NYC make when moving to NEPA is that they don't factor in the culture shock of going from hyper-density to rural or semi-rural living.

I would advise you to drive from Downtown Honesdale to Dickson City at least once and decide if you wouldn't mind that drive about once every week.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:45 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,928,353 times
Honesdale is lovely...I just hope you have employment lined up, jobs are scarce and low pay. Good luck and enjoy the peace and quiet. I live in a "city", Scranton and getting use to the quiet was lovely.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:27 AM

5,287 posts, read 6,089,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside4ever View Post
Honesdale has the 2nd best schools in Pa .. Its a great little town,,, Its run by "The Good Ole Boys" But I love the area .. I also Moved from NYC ( It was 22 odd yrs ago ) Have fun,, Good Luck with your move ..

For your information, here is a list of the top high schools in PA Search Pennsylvania High Schools | US News. Honesdale doesn't rank at all.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
For your information, here is a list of the top high schools in PA Search Pennsylvania High Schools | US News. Honesdale doesn't rank at all.
^ These public school rankings, to be fair, are an absolute joke, though. Most of those schools are either in very upscale suburbs of Pittsburgh or Philadelphia or are magnet/charter types of schools that cater to those in the city that are affluent enough to have the resources to send their children there.

I'm the product of a perfectly "average" school district---Pittston Area---and I turned out fine. Many of my peers from my alma mater are earning their M.D.'s, Ph.D.'s, and J.D.'s right now, and I'm also planning to pursue my terminal degree within the next few years. I never understood why people are so insecure that they'd pay twice as much for a home in a "good public school district" rather than instead saving that money, sending their kids to an average district, and being involved in their education. What do you call a lawyer who graduated from Abington Heights vs. a lawyer who graduated from Pittston Area? A lawyer.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:34 PM

Wayne Highlands was ranked 2nd in the state last year ,, I know cause my wife works there as a teacher for 27 yrs ,,, But you can fudge anything online .. On a side note ,,, There are Jobs in Honesdale ,, Might not be BIG money jobs But you have the box stores and a brand new tractor supply ,, Leeward construction and Pioneer construction have a lock on the road work and if you are legit ( have a drivers license and a pretty clean record) you can grab a $18 an hr job .. .. Im in the process of buying a building with 2 business and apts up top on Main St ,,, There is a profit to be made .. ... But remember its a " Good Ole Boys "" town .. Step outta line and they can and will make your life hard ..

Last edited by Riverside4ever; 04-12-2013 at 01:26 PM..

Old 04-12-2013, 01:38 PM

9 posts, read 17,238 times
Thank you everyone so far for the input. I have driven to Dickson city and its not that bad, I need to get away from the big market stores, maybe ill have more money, ha! I was born in the country in Colombia so I think it's in my blood because I despise the city. It is too congested, too stressful, too negative and too expensive. As far as schooling goes, I'd think it'd be better for my little ones to go to a smaller school and be able to have their names remembered by their teachers as opposed to just being another face. I don't need top notch schooling otherwise we'd be in private schools, but a school with a good curriculum that focuses o. Making their students reach full potential and challenging their minds is great. Thank you for the info on the Construction jobs. I won't be working not yet at least, two of my boys are still very little, but my husband will and ill tell him to apply. If y'all don't mind me asking..what is "good ole boys"?

Old 04-12-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warriormom3 View Post
If y'all don't mind me asking..what is "good ole boys"?
I think riverside4ever meant that there are a lot of people in/around small towns like Honesdale and Waymart who have lived there their entire lives, their parents have lived there their entire lives, their grandparents have lived there their entire lives, etc. Those people all tend to know each other, network together, and can be a bit cliquey and distrustful of newcomers. It may be difficult for you to break into the area socially until you earn their trust.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I think riverside4ever meant that there are a lot of people in/around small towns like Honesdale and Waymart who have lived there their entire lives, their parents have lived there their entire lives, their grandparents have lived there their entire lives, etc. Those people all tend to know each other, network together, and can be a bit cliquey and distrustful of newcomers. It may be difficult for you to break into the area socially until you earn their trust.

Perfectly said .. ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania