Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 12:14 PM

20 posts, read 22,682 times

Advertisements

Hello again, before I get into my question I just want to get briefly into the history of this. Last year I came here asking where my friend could get work and it didn't work out. At the time my friend was able to find part time work shortly after back in the city and a lot of responses here didn't really help so he forgot the idea. Now things have changed and he is coming up here next weekend to visit a job hunting place in Dickson City. Since then his parents have decided to sell their summer place and this is leaving him heart broken so he has decided to swoop on it then move in. Plus he has been coming up a lot more in the last six years since I left Brooklyn for the Poconos and has really came to enjoy the lifestyle here. Finally he just can't find work in the city anyway, he has been without work since September and the price of everything in the city is crushing him.

He enjoys boating/fishing which he can't do in the city. I became an serious advocate of the 2nd Amendment and have started collecting a great deal of firearms since I moved, he enjoys going to the range with me and wants to own his own firearms but he can't do that in the city. He enjoys camping, biking and exploring trails which he can't do in the city. He enjoys the much lower prices of things here and not being suffocated by people which is daily life in the city. Without going on and on living in the city has become hell for him and he is no longer on good terms with his father which is taking a serious toll for him. We both know he won't make a lot of money up here but he is moving so he can improve his quality of life, not to make a fortune. He had some of his best experiences in this state and I think living here would do wonders for him.

So I am going to ask very nicely that people refrain coming into this thread and telling me that he should stay in the city, I left the city and was able to find work in something that pays $10/hour. He would pack his bags and leave the city immediately if he got a job in the low $10/hour range. Understand he just wants to escape the city and make a life here. I offered him my home until he can get work and start paying his father for the summer place. However I haven't looked for work in over 4 years now and I don't know where the best places would be for him to search. He is highly educated, he has a BA in Business plus training and certifications in IT/Networking Technologies. I doubt many places up here have a large call for that but I am hoping these credentials will give him a leg up in his job search. The place he is buying is located up in Gouldsboro, Pa and he owns a car so he can commute.

So if you guys know some good job hunting agencies let me get their info as he would like to setup an appointment with them now. He will be coming up the Monday after next to being his search. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 02:24 PM

2,465 posts, read 2,759,921 times
He can try searching on the website Indeed. I was browsing last night and there are many jobs available in the Lehigh Valley.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:27 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
In July they are supposed to start construction on the Kalahari water park in the Mt. Pocono/Pocono Summit area. It is a tremendously large project. It would not surprise me if they do not hire many or their contractors do not hire many.

I always used to check out new construction. New employers are sometimes hungry for workers. New employers also have not acquired all the bad habits of employers that have been in business for a long time (nepotism, favoritism, etc.).

Old 05-10-2013, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
He can try searching on the website Indeed. I was browsing last night and there are many jobs available in the Lehigh Valley.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
In July they are supposed to start construction on the Kalahari water park in the Mt. Pocono/Pocono Summit area. It is a tremendously large project. It would not surprise me if they do not hire many or their contractors do not hire many.

I always used to check out new construction. New employers are sometimes hungry for workers. New employers also have not acquired all the bad habits of employers that have been in business for a long time (nepotism, favoritism, etc.).
Thanks for the tips, that's a start.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:55 PM

30,487 posts, read 16,198,344 times
monsterdotcom seemed to have a lot jobs when I was looking a few yrs a go.

also, look at local newspapers, and fill out applications even if a company says there's no openings. Have a resume ready too.

Old 05-10-2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
monsterdotcom seemed to have a lot jobs when I was looking a few yrs a go.

also, look at local newspapers, and fill out applications even if a company says there's no openings. Have a resume ready too.
Appreciated.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:36 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,101,115 times
A good rule of thumb when using any sites, especially Monster, is to treat the job search site as a lead rather as your main source of info. Do not apply to the job right on Monster, Careerbuilder, etc. Instead, look up the company's own website and apply there. Most HR folks don't bother to check outside sources once they post the jobs.

Also try the local colleges, universities, and even school districts. They often need IT folks.

If he's willing to commute as far as Palmerton (it's probably about an hour from Gouldsboro; maybe slightly less) I know that Penteledata is hiring for a few different positions.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLoo View Post
A good rule of thumb when using any sites, especially Monster, is to treat the job search site as a lead rather as your main source of info. Do not apply to the job right on Monster, Careerbuilder, etc. Instead, look up the company's own website and apply there. Most HR folks don't bother to check outside sources once they post the jobs.

Also try the local colleges, universities, and even school districts. They often need IT folks.

If he's willing to commute as far as Palmerton (it's probably about an hour from Gouldsboro; maybe slightly less) I know that Penteledata is hiring for a few different positions.
Back when I was looking for a job I tried the online job resources and they sucked. I even contacted them directly and they gave me no response. It's an employers market and the sad fact is they will overlook people like me because I don't have years of experience. Maybe now it's different that I have been with a company for awhile but I am looking for a way to cut through that BS as these employers are wasting my friends time by posting a job but deleting his messages when he contacts them. He has experience but not much in the way of holding jobs for years. I went through that for 6 months before finding work and I don't want to see my friends time wasted like that. That is why I am thinking a head hunter would be more effective.

Regardless, I appreciate the suggestions especially the suggestions posted at the end of your post. I will pass that info onto him right away.

Old 05-11-2013, 12:38 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,172,002 times
Your friend has pretty good credentials. His work history and references may not be that great. My advice is to go into business on his own. Plenty of places are looking for part time webmasters and or people who can design, set up and administer websites.

Old 05-11-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Your friend has pretty good credentials. His work history and references may not be that great. My advice is to go into business on his own. Plenty of places are looking for part time webmasters and or people who can design, set up and administer websites.
Me and my friend eventually wanted to start our own Hookah Bar but now he is telling me with the smoking laws that would be impossible to do, plus he doesn't have the financial support to get anything started. I have steady work but I am making car payments so I don't have enough extra money myself. I'd love to start a business with him since he is very business savvy but small businesses have a very high failure rate and other than the Hookah Bar we have no other ideas.

Could you recommend the type of businesses that might be a good place to start looking? We already got some good ideas here but more would always be welcomed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania