Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2013, 12:12 PM

6 posts, read 10,011 times

Advertisements

I've been searching the net high and low for some forums for these locations. Top priority are the schools, how are they? Next is a job for my husband who is a contractor. Also, is Scranton the Craigslst for the area or a different one? Any and all input would be great! Also, if there are any Facebook groups for discussions, that would be great too. Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 02:35 PM

452 posts, read 681,958 times
If school's are your #1, you better be ready to pay for private ones. MMI or another one like it. Also do a little homework, if you are buying into the Hazleton area school district, you may have trouble selling in the future. Hazleton is a ghetto and it's spreading. If your husband is a contractor, good luck. The area is swamped with idiots that have a bucket of nails and a hammer in their trunk that call themselves "Contractors". Even if he is one of the best, it may take a considerable amount of time to become established. Based on the two priorities you stated, you're making a huge mistake thinking about relocated to the places you asked about.

Old 05-25-2013, 04:26 PM

5,301 posts, read 6,179,553 times
Craig's List for Scranton/Wilkes-Barre is the nearest board, but also try the Poconos and Lehigh Valley boards.

Speaking of Drums, in the late 60s or early 70s (can't remember exactly), I happened to be buying something at the old Joseph Fluri Lumber Yard there and in walks Jack Palance. He had a farm or something nearby. The clerk told me that he did his own carpentry and repairs, which is what a lot of people in the area still do.

Old 05-25-2013, 06:07 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,898,316 times
Is there a specific reason you chose these two places? I like Drums but it is a bit in the woods away from much. Either work South in Hazelton or North in Wilkes-Barre. Sugar Loaf I don't know much about but I would guess Bloomsburg will be your best shot for work and shopping since Hazelton sucks. If I had to choose between the two I would go Drums but I know the area and like it for its woodsyness. Schools around there I'm guessing are in Mountaintop? But they might send you to Hazelton if you are too far South and that would be a very bad idea.

Did someone sell you on the idea of relocating so close to Hazelton?

Old 05-25-2013, 08:07 PM

Picked the area for a house we liked. Not set in stone or anything

Old 05-25-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcrsmom View Post
Picked the area for a house we liked. Not set in stone or anything
Which area are you planning and which area are you relocating from?

Old 05-26-2013, 06:34 AM

We are relocating from Bucks County, Pa. It's just so expensive and so built up anymore I guess even though I really love the property we found, the other reasons aren't enough to make the move. Thanks for your input everyone!

Old 05-26-2013, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcrsmom View Post
We are relocating from Bucks County, Pa. It's just so expensive and so built up anymore I guess even though I really love the property we found, the other reasons aren't enough to make the move. Thanks for your input everyone!
Ahh, that explains it. We were living in Lansdale prior to Wilkes-Barre so I know that area pretty well. It's very, very congested. It used to take me 30 minutes on a bad day to drive 5 miles to work. We were looking at houses and almost put in an offer for a 150 year old rowhome right next to the train tracks because it was the cheapest thing we could find. I was so disgusted after almost making a huge mistake buying that I searched up here on a whim after a day to trip to Hickory Run State Park. We discovered all the great affordable homes this area has to offer, got a realtor and did our research and here we are. Still happy we made the decision.

Keep looking, something will pan out if you really want it to.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:07 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
I think Drums/Sugarloaf is a beautiful area. The schools have a bad reputation.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:00 AM

Then you know exactly where we are at in terms of congestion, money etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkey View Post
Ahh, that explains it. We were living in Lansdale prior to Wilkes-Barre so I know that area pretty well. It's very, very congested. It used to take me 30 minutes on a bad day to drive 5 miles to work. We were looking at houses and almost put in an offer for a 150 year old rowhome right next to the train tracks because it was the cheapest thing we could find. I was so disgusted after almost making a huge mistake buying that I searched up here on a whim after a day to trip to Hickory Run State Park. We discovered all the great affordable homes this area has to offer, got a realtor and did our research and here we are. Still happy we made the decision.

Keep looking, something will pan out if you really want it to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania