Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 02:30 PM

178 posts, read 227,696 times

Advertisements

and very excited about it. I have a rental ready for me, and I am very excited. I looked online to see what sort of stores/businesses there were near the Lake. No laughing but I wanted to see if there was a pizza parlor near there. I love to order a pizza at least 2 times a month, LOL!!

I have most of the other info I need I am big on history and photography so looking forward to all the new scenery in PA. Especially old homes, museums, places like Gettysburg, and the list goes on!

I also kayak, so truly looking forward to living on the Lake. I haven't actually looked it up, but I suspect the speed-limit on the Lake is higher for speed-boats? That's something I will have to be careful of, so I don't get in the way of any of those

If anyone is around that lives near Harvey's Lake, would love to yack here a little I am 60, very active, and divorced for 17 years. Just on my own but don't let that stop me from adventures that interest me

Denise
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 07:21 PM

811 posts, read 1,386,091 times
Hopefully you discovered The Grotto for pizza! It's very well-known. You'll be a long way from Oregon! Good luck with your move. There is a lot to discover in northeast PA.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:24 PM

No, I did not discover the Grotto but thanks to you I have now I am so looking forward to my walks and kayaking. I meet so many people that way

denise

Old 06-09-2013, 08:35 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountry View Post
I also kayak, so truly looking forward to living on the Lake. I haven't actually looked it up, but I suspect the speed-limit on the Lake is higher for speed-boats? That's something I will have to be careful of, so I don't get in the way of any of those
AFAIK there isn't a speed limit for most of it but it's doesn't have heavy use so I wouldn't worry about it.

The Susquehanna is nearby and certainly would be more interesting, you can pretty much have that to yourself. For the most part the only thing you're going to find on there is small boats with like 10HP motors if anything. Should be noted you need a way to get back to your car. The Susquehanna is best described as a series of tables. You'll have a stretch for a mile or two that is almost dead water that goes into a short mild rapid. When I say rapid these aren't whitewater.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:08 PM

thank you for the info, I don't do anything but calm waters in my kayak as it isn't built for anything more Eventually, I would like to try "harder" waters but for now this one get's me "out there at least

I think things must be pretty quiet these days, from what I've read of the area. Mostly retired people. I could be wrong, I am just reading from articles etc. Mostly historical info. Really know much more about the history of Harvey's Lake then the present.

It is going to be a very big change for me, well, just being off somewhere that is not familiar once again. I seem to adapt well though, and like seeing new places, and meeting new people. I work online a lot with photography and writing, so I try to get outdoors as often as possible to be with "real" life if you know what I mean

Denise

Old 06-09-2013, 09:37 PM

Quote:
thank you for the info, I don't do anything but calm waters in my kayak as it isn't built for anything more Eventually, I would like to try "harder" waters but for now this one get's me "out there at least
Generally speaking you shouldn't have any trouble with any kayak. When I say rapid it's faster moving water than most of the river. There is only about 3 places I can think of between the NY border and just below Nanticoke that are really fast and a little technical and even those would be considered mild by most experienced boaters.

Most of it looks like this at least as far as the water goes.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:44 PM

oh wow, gorgeous, ok, you definitely have my attention I will look into this. I wouldn't have any problem with being "hauled" up and dumped off, LOL! I hope I meet some other people that like this type of kayaking although I go alone for the most part. This is a totally new place though, so it would be good to meet some "yakers"

Old 06-09-2013, 10:47 PM

That picture is a little misleading, the left bank you see there is an island. The main part of the river is on the other side of it. Here's the spot that was taken:

41.59468,-76.083601 - Google Maps

Also keep in mind most of the river is going to have some development along it whether it houses, roads or RR tracks.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:00 PM

well that looks a long ways from Harvey's Lake tcm. Are there any rivers closer that maybe feed into the lake? I mean, I will be getting around as much of the area as possible I just figured the river was much closer is all

I've lived in Oregon most of my 60 years, and have seen the best parts of the State. Either camping or just heading out for a roadtrip. That what I plan to do in the East as well. See so many places I have only read about

Thank you for all the info though, keep it coming!

Old 06-09-2013, 11:13 PM

Quote:
well that looks a long ways from Harvey's Lake tcm. Are there any rivers closer that maybe feed into the lake?
That's far away but the parts of the Susquehanna closer to HL is about a 20 or 25 minute drive. There is no other major waterways close by for kayaking. There is other smaller lakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania