U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2013, 06:09 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,099,377 times

Advertisements

So there was a thread with recommendations for landscapers, but it's three years old and was really concentrated in the NW area of the Poconos (Greentown/Scranton, etc).

I'm in northern Monroe and considering whether to hire a landscaper or landscape architect. Our property is big and has some amazing natural features, but our problems are not easy to solve (a severe grade is the most critical).

I need someone who'll walk the property with us and listen, first and foremost, to us, as well as our land.

I don't need a quote over the phone for a brick paver walkway.

Anyone know someone like this?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 07:50 PM

130 posts, read 274,194 times
Check out Charles Petrus in Blakeslee. Landscape architect.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:16 PM

tx, will do!

Old 07-03-2013, 09:37 AM

2,853 posts, read 3,290,161 times
Depending on specific questions and your 'vision'. another person you might engage is an experienced excavator.

They can be helpful by evaluating land contouring, drainage, drive/road building, and tying this all together, especially economically. This is most relevant IF what you envision entails digging, rock pounding/blasting, tree work, drainage/runoff, etc. They know this stuff. They create and move piles of this or that from here to there to contour the terrain and, if needed, reuse or help to dispose of it.

Depending on the question(s)...(are they more esthetic or mechanical?)...they can help a lot to understand major practicality que$tion$ and option$.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:04 AM

215 posts, read 287,790 times
Hope you have lots of $$. I live on LI and I hope things are cheaper in PA...my friend (also on LI) just had his modest size yard re-landscaped due to Hurricane Sandy, just paid $18,000

Old 07-03-2013, 06:45 PM

2,760 posts, read 3,504,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI2PA View Post
Hope you have lots of $$. I live on LI and I hope things are cheaper in PA...my friend (also on LI) just had his modest size yard re-landscaped due to Hurricane Sandy, just paid $18,000
DANG! I am not sure about landscaping ect. but I know I would have gotten a better price on my fence installation on LI. I have a postage size back yard and the best price for product and installation was 51 hundred. Seems tradesmen charge higher prices for a lot of different types of work because there in less competition here.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:17 PM

Yeah, $18K is def. not in the budget. I'm hoping for a thorough consulting and design that I'm willing to pay market rates for. And then, hoping to pay as I go, over years, as the money is there. There are things I can maybe barter for, though probably not heavy equipment jobs. But at no point am I looking at megabucks all at once. Beyond a house payment, I just don't believe in borrowing, so that necessitates going slow.

Old 07-04-2013, 05:15 PM

130 posts, read 274,194 times
We had a master plan done and then broke it into phases. Doing one or two of those phases a year. Keeps us from having to rework things and it is fun seeing it all start to come together. :-)

Old 07-04-2013, 08:29 PM

17,790 posts, read 14,074,513 times
Make sure any landscaper takes into account our deer. They eat almost everything. Some of the ornamental grasses, lavender, boxwood, Japanese Andromeda and holly are a few plants that seem deer resistant. Many shrubs, flowers and vegetables disappear overnight. Even small trees are not safe from our buck rubbing their horns.

I don't mean to discourage you. I just don't like to see people waste money.

Old 07-05-2013, 05:28 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,014,189 times
I was a landscape designer for years (though here in Florida, dealing w/tropicals & sub-tropicals....).

Seems any guy w/a lawnmower advertises himself as a "designer", so check out whoever you find thoroughly!! A lot don't know their andromeda from their elbow!!!

Also, do your "hardscape" first!! (any grading, leveling, tiering, paving, concreting, structures, etc...) Then start bringing in your plant material. A lotta folks do it backwards, wasting money & killing plants.

Lastly, do a LOT of research on your own!! Find designs, yards, parks, etc that have elements that you like, & have the designer incorporate those elements into YOUR design. Saves a lotta time, money & crossed-signals!!

Good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania